• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen 1st gen mechanics to drive you crazy

Years
  • I'm thinking of making this a series for each gen. I'll start by saying that I still play gen 1 sometimes, and like it. Things I like are the original Blue, playing the slot machine at the game corner, most of the pokemon from this gen, the following Pikachu, the darker plots and jarring music like the Lavender Town and champion theme, and LOVE all those glitches. I don't mind he games looking old either, I do have my hangups though.

One that bothers me not just for the inconvenience but psychologically is that pokemon aren't healed after capture and sent to Bill's PC. I hate to think of them as lingering on low health maybe with a painful status condition such as frozen, burns paralyzed etc until someone withdraws them. Glad that was changed.

Another is that they weren't kidding about HMs being permanent in the days of RBY, no move deleter. You have to have an HM slave because there is no getting rid of cut or flash or any of the bad moves later. I also bite my nails when I leave my Pokemon behind at daycare because the man deletes moves in a I think random way, and there's no opportunity to get them back later if he replaces something you wanted. Some people don't use him at all, especially since they weren't able to fit in the breeding mechanic yet. I still find some value in going to him when my pokemon could use a leveling up but I can't stop to grind, usually it's with a newly caught pokemon I want to add to my team who has a lot of catching up to do. I always keep an eye on that old man tho and at what level my pokemon learns their next move so I can him beat him to the punch!

Which mechanics are the biggest challenge for you?

Years
  • Mine would have to be the opponents having infinite PP on all their moves. I started playing Pokemon during Gen 4 so I've been used to being able to count how many more Fire Blasts or Psychics or Hypnosis the foes have left before they run out so I can calculate/strategize stuff on the fly to pull off a win. It's saved me numerous times.

Not having that advantage in the first games further proves to me just how brutal Gen 1 was compared to all other iterations. Kids back in the day had it real hard, and they didn't even know it.

Years
  • Wrap and the other binding moves effectively locking you for some turns was pretty annoying. Other than that all the random bugs and glitches got frustrating, like missing out on a move after leveling over it in battle.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Waking up from sleep took up an entire turn. I absolutely despise this about generation I. You also can never thaw out from being frozen by an ice type move this generation. I'm so glad they fixed this in later generations. :x

Years
  • The mechanics I did not like in gen one are not thawing over time from a freeze, wrap (and its clones) preventing you from attacking the opponent, and waking up from sleep taking a full turn to occur. The last two are really annoying when you are slower then your opponent.

Years
  • Waking up from sleep took up an entire turn. I absolutely despise this about generation I. You also can never thaw out from being frozen by an ice type move this generation. I'm so glad they fixed this in later generations. :x

Reason #387 as to why Psychic types were OP this gen lmao.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Hmmm:

1.You can only catch legendaries in non master balls if you put them to sleep, otherwise it will tell that you "missed the pokemon"
    2.Missingno glitch is scary
    3.Pokedex glitches too often (e.i. you want to check pokemon location and it goes back, same with unneeded pokemon cries when you want to check it's location etc.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2024
    1.You can only catch legendaries in non master balls if you put them to sleep, otherwise it will tell that you "missed the pokemon"
    "You missed the Pokemon" is identical to the Pokemon breaking out without the ball shaking at all in later generations.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • "You missed the Pokemon" is identical to the Pokemon breaking out without the ball shaking at all in later generations.

Yhm, i assume you meant gen. 4 too, becuase i don't know if a pokemon is cauth when it shakes an 3 third time

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2024
    Yhm, i assume you meant gen. 4 too, becuase i don't know if a pokemon is cauth when it shakes an 3 third time
    No. In gen 2-onward, a Pokemon can break out of a ball without it shaking at all. In gen 1, if a ball was going to shake 0 times the game would just skip that and say you missed.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • No. In gen 2-onward, a Pokemon can break out of a ball without it shaking at all. In gen 1, if a ball was going to shake 0 times the game would just skip that and say you missed.

Really? Becuase everytime i threw a ball in fan translated silver/Offical Gold/Crystal, i never got an "you missed the pokemon" message, only in gen. 1 and it's romhacks

(Sorry if i misterstood you, my english is rusty since 2004)

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2024
    Really? Becuase everytime i threw a ball in fan translated silver/Offical Gold/Crystal, i never got an "you missed the pokemon" message, only in gen. 1 and it's romhacks

(Sorry if i misterstood you, my english is rusty since 2004)

Later games removed the "you missed the Pokemon" message, and replaced it with the ball breaking as soon as it lands on the ground. That change makes it a little more intuitive.

Years
  • Later games removed the "you missed the Pokemon" message, and replaced it with the ball breaking as soon as it lands on the ground. That change makes it a little more intuitive.

I always thought of that as a reasonable way for you to waste a ball. You're 10 in game. I doubt 10 year olds will have perfect aim/throwing capabilities all the time.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Later games removed the "you missed the Pokemon" message, and replaced it with the ball breaking as soon as it lands on the ground. That change makes it a little more intuitive.

Oh, thank you kind sir for explaining it to me

Back