• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Right, Curse and Toxic aren't that good on a set together. Nothing on my team can really wall anything, so i'll forget about that. Oh, and i'm not giving Forretress Return, it must hate me because it dies so often against bosses due to Explosion, Return and Explosion isn't a good Combo.

I think i'm keeping Strength, there isn't many other attacking options (i really don't want Rollout as my only other attacking move besides explosion, sometimes i need instant power...)
    Double_Edge doesn't seem like a good idea on a Pokemon focussing on defense
    The flinching chance from Headbutt wouldn't really help (even without Curse that thing is horribly slow)
    I might try Hidden Power, maybe it has a strong, physical one, but that's not realistic
    Hyper Beam - no.
    Rock Smash? Too weak.

I beat Blaine and did the sea stuff, but i can't beat Blue. If i manage to set up on Pidgeot without getting it bonuses from Mirror Move if it wakes up early, Ariados still can't OHKO Rhydon, so it has to take a Rock Slide so Arcanine can finish it off with Extremespeed. If i try anonter strategy like just killing Pidgeot right off and Giga draining Rhydon, Arcanine still beats everything on my team. I'll do Mt.Moon stuff and then do some Elite 4 grinding i think, because if i can't even beat Arcanine, i will never beat Charizard. Maybe with a ton of revives, but that strategy is sooo boring...

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    What about frustration and explosion?

Edit: I just lost my save. :(
    So now I gotta start all over. -siiiiiigh-

Years
  • What about frustration and explosion?
    I already had Explosion, and about Frustration.. It didn't me hate THAT much, i think the happiness was pretty mediocre, so none of the moves would have helped me.

Well, I beat Red now, he wasn't much of a problem, Blue was a lot harder to beat for me, I had to grind really long to beat him (at least Elite 4 grinding is more fun than usual grinding), so Butterfree could finally outspeed than damn Arcanine….

Well, it's pretty boring to read since I used my usual strategy again, with the slight variation that I started with Ledian, hoping to get a Light Screen up before it dies, to give Butterfree a chance to put Pikachu to sleep and make it easier for Scizor to set up, but here's the log:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Final Crystal Team, in screenshots:
    2qujebk_th.png

2uhtggm_th.png
    qxvxxt_th.png
    205e0p5_th.png

I lead most battles with this and put stuff to sleep, but during my Elite 4 grinding I always solo'd Koga and Bruno with it, thus the high level
    1zb6xat_th.png
    2mm9vr6_th.png
    28rcyuv_th.png

Ariados isn't really the best Pokemon, but with some passed Dances and Agilitys, even that thing has potential and is fun to use.
    16mddg_th.png
    10ppz5d_th.png
    wtxbid_th.png

As you can see, Ledian wasn't too important
    145sat_th.png
    339rjtz_th.png
    op8i9z_th.png

Forretress wasn't that important too, and because of that I was just being lazy and kept Strength.
    2vct4iw_th.png
    amp4j5_th.png
    furoqv_th.png

My most important team member, blah, blah, I already said all that before =D

On to Hoenn, planned team:
    - Surskit -> Masquerain rare, but gets Ice Beam
    - Nincada -> Ninjask Maybe i'll try a sweeping version, i'm tired of Baton Passing
    - Illumise Needs a ton of Exp, but has a good special and support movepool
    - Anorith -> Armaldo
    - Heracross
    - Pinsir
    I'm pretty sure i'll drop one or two of the last 3, 3 bulky, slow physical sweepers are too much.

Aaargh, first the Ariados sprite doesn't work, then the Spoiler automatically divides itself into two parts, that sucks

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    This is what I'm planning as far as my team:

Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligtr
    Wooper/Quagsire
    Chinchou/Lanturn
    Maybe Red Gyarados, Mantine, or some of the other water types that was brought into the 2nd gen.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Congrats Monday! I can't read the first part of your Spoilers though.

Blue was KIND of annoying, yeah. Mainly because Extremespeed from Arcanine just... >_>' I don't remember what I used now though. But I guess some Toxic+Healing would do it.

Good luck for 3rd gen!

Years
  • Arcanine OHKOd everything in my team with Flamethrower (probably a Shuckle would have helped here, but i was too lazy to train one), and even if i would have beaten Blue without doing grinding, i would have to do it anyway, otherwise i could've never set up on Pikachu.

Oh, and if you can't read the first part of my battle (which is by far more interesting than the sweep), just try pressing F5, it always works for me when i can't open spoilers.

____

I started on Ruby (theres no Surskit on Emerald and Illumise is rare on Sapphire), chose Mudkip because it's the best slave out of the 3, and after 1:40, 5 Ralts, and a lot of other stuff finally caught me a Surskit (i don't bother about Wurmple, i'll be using one in early Platinum instead). Went to Rustboro, caught some Nincadas (and met two Skittys in that time, that's ridiculous after all the time it took me to get Surskit). The third one was Adamant, which is perfect.

Team:
    Spr_3r_283.png

1,/'?C'mon / Surskit f Lv.11 @ /
    Sassy Nature / Swift Swim
    - Bubble
    - Quick Attack
    - /
    - /
    I can't even imitate a % sign, it should be '/, instead... But this Surskit is a provisory anyway, since it's female i will be able to breed for one with a better nature (and nickname) by the time i reach Mauville.
    Spr_3r_290.png

Pirates! / Nincada f Lv.6 @ /
    Adamant Nature / Compoundeyes
    - Scratch
    - Harden
    - Leech Life
    - /
    ... because anything involving ninjas would have been too obvious

Years
  • Started the challenge.

Named myself Red and my rival Green. Picked Charmander as my starter. I nicknamed him Fred because, according to Oak, he's energetic, just like my cat Fred.

Fred evolved to a Charmeleon. I challenged Brock. Not too difficult, I just spammed Ember. Luckily his Pokemon all have low Special.

Onward to Cerulean.

Current team:

rbspr005.png

Fred Lv. 16
    Scratch
    Growl
    Ember
    Leer

Projected team:

rbspr006.png

rbspr059.png

rbspr136.png

Not a huge variety of fire types in Red. No Magmar either =[ Too bad I can't use Moltres, he was always my favourite legendary bird.

Last edited:

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • Well, long time since I updated, now I've beaten Erika and going to Fuchsia now
    Team:
    rbspr009.png

EpicPwnage/Blastoise
    Level: 36
    ~ Water Gun
    ~ Bite
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Dig
    This thing has been useful, Ice Beam for Grass-types and Dig for Electrics.
    rbspr130.png

DragonDanc/Gyarados
    Level: 31
    ~ Bubblebeam
    ~ Dragon Rage
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Bite
    Dragon Rage has been more useful than expected, swept Erika as EpicPwnage was defeated by Victreebel.

Yes, that means I've not taken Eevee, because I want to end with only 2 pokemon :P
    Anyone knows where can I get a TM for Flamethrower and another TM for Ice Beam? I took one Ice Beam TM from the girl, in Celedon Dept.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    'Pirates!' as a name for 'Nincada' was pure genious! I envy you! xD

Now that I think of it, it was probbly Shukle the one who allowed me to deal with Arcanine.

No progress today. Got stuff to do. Meh, the 4th gen attracts me way too little >_>'

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2013
    Hey there, guys. New here. :3

I want to do the Electric mono-type challenge. In fact, I already started it on my Pokémon Yellow. I'm also taping the Gym leader fights and the like. ^_^

I fought the second Gary (near Victory Road) and it was hilarious. My Pika level 6 versus his Spearow level 9 and Eevee level 8. I won without taking any damage. ;D

Brock was actually pretty easy with Pikachu. I Growled and Tail Whipped Geodude and Onix into submission and started Quick Attacking, healing up with a Potion where needed. Pika, who I called Thomazap, was only level 11 before the fight.

Misty should be a cinch (do you spell it that way? ;/), but Giovanni is gonna be epic, I'm sure. :D I plan on only fighting Trainer battles, but I don't want to get too overpowered as well. ;( I'm in Mt.Moon now. Should I battle all trainers?

I should be able to upload the battles pretty soon.

*pokes a Blues*

Last edited:

Makorin

Ex-ROM Hacker
    Years
  • Jeez I almost forgot about this...

-Travelled back to Mauville City
    -Helped out Watson with New Mauville
    -Travelled to Route 118
    -Saved the Weather Institute
    -Battled May
    -Talked with Scott
    -Talked with Steven after stopping in Fortree City
    -Obtained the Devon Scope
    -Took on the Fortree City Gym
    -Defeated Winona
    -Made my way to see some Aqua Grunts head for Mt. Pyre and reach Lilycove City
    -Climbed Mt. Pyre
    -Explored the Magma Base
    -Captured a Torkoal -- will not be using it
    -Saw Groudon awaken
    -Flew to Slateport
    -Saw Archie take the sub
    -Flew to Lilycove
    -Battled May for the FINAL time
    -Explored the Aqua Base
    -Obtained the one -- the only -- Masterball!!
    -Surfed to Mossdeep City

Team:
    Blaziken [Level 45]
    emesprani257.gif

Camerupt [Level 45]

emesprani323.gif

HM Slaves
    302.png
    278.png
    183.png

~Flaming Flarez

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    I decided to do Crystal instead of SoulSilver because I've been having issues not related to the rom, but my computer, so yeah.

Years
  • Made my way through Mt. Moon with little trouble. Bought a Magikarp, caught a Clefairy, Spearow, and Paras, even though they won't be used. Chose the Dome Fossil at the end.

Beat my rival with absolutely no trouble in Cerulean, conquered the Nugget Bridge, helped Bill, and got Dig from the Rocket.

I taught Mega Punch to Fred and made my way through the Cerulean Gym. Misty was a little difficult - her Starmie kept getting critical hits because it's so fast. Eventually I beat it with a few Mega Punches.

Now I'm in Vermillion, about to go through the S.S. Anne.

Current Team:

rbspr005.png

Fred Lv. 30
    Mega Punch
    Rage
    Ember
    Leer

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • Got six badges, now in Cinnabar to do the Mansion and Gym :D.
    Team:
    rbspr009.png

EpicPwnage/Blastoise
    Level 44
    ~ Surf
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Bite
    ~ Dig
    I tell you, this thing is EpicPwnage!
    rbspr130.png

DragonDanc/Gyarados
    Level 43
    ~ Surf
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Bite
    I removed Dragon Rage, because now -40hp is too less, this pokemon is a beast :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Got a reasonable update on Platinum Mono Bug.

Went till right after the Steel Gym. Nothing much happened, aside from getting my last member, a Yanma, who I named 'Monday' in honor of the member 'Monday Sucks' whom is doing the same challenge as me. Bearing that in mind, my team is composed of 4 members, as well as 2 HM slaves: Bibarel and Tropius.

On a side note, I got EXTREMELY lucky with the IVs I got for Yanma, as well as all of my pokemon's natures. All of them are level 40 right now, except the last one, who is level 42. Here is my team!

402.png

Martyr, the Kricketune @ Soothe Bell
    Swarm Ability
    Adamant Nature

~ X-Scissor
    ~ Return
    ~ Sing
    ~ Aerial Ace

My first team member, and the surprise of my team. He's much better than I thought. His main purpose is to either put opponents to sleep, or to be my secondary physical sweeper. He has the nature and the moves to do so, as well as some power. I'm thinking of giving him U-Turn somehow in order to do some damage when switching out after putting some opponent to sleep, but I don't want to get rid of any move. I intend to give it Wide Lends once I have the money to (I spend WAY too much money on coins already, I even had to sell every TM I wasn't using). Soothe Bell is there to rise happiness and maximize Return's damage.

416.png

Mel, the Vespiqueen @ Exp. Share
    Pressure Ability
    Bold Nature

~ Power Gem
    ~ Defend Order
    ~ Roost
    ~ Toxic

Its main role is either to be a Toxic-staller, or to do some damage with Power Gem. Running from its best offensive stat - Sp. Attack -, this rock type move does some damage and gives me some much-needed type coverage. I was in the doubt between Roost or Heal Order, but went for the 1st because Roost nullifies the Thunder and Ice weaknesses, softens the Rock weakness, and I'm still resistant to the type I was previously Immune: ground. With Defend Order and Roost, it can stall the opponent all day, and Pressure certainly helps on PP stalling too! Toxic is too obvious, right? Exp. Share is there because it's not used as often on regular trainer battles. It is, however, of invaluable value against Gym leaders.

212.png

Raziel, the Scizor @ Rawst Berry
    Technician Ability
    Adamant Nature

~ Quick Attack
    ~ Bullet Punch
    ~ Wing Attack
    ~ Swords Dance

Raziel, my Scizor, is my primary Physical Sweeper. Quick Attack and Bullet Punch get boosted by Technician to 60 power each, being that the second also has STAB. With an enormous attack base, and two priority moves, this thing breaks entire teams apart normaly, let alone when boosted. Swords Dance was one of the TMs I had to desperatly get money for. Rawst Berry is just there for the occasional burn, which cuts my Attack Power in half. >_>' Wing Attack is soon to be replaced, either by X-Scissor, or by U-Turn. Though I do accept suggestions.

469.png

Monday, the Yanmega @ Fist Plate
    Tinted Lens Ability
    Rash Nature

~ Silver Wind
    ~ Ancient Power
    ~ Hidden Power [Fighting, 52-Base Power]
    ~ Uproar

I believe I can call Monday one of my luckiest catches ever. Its nature boosts its already high Special Attack, aiding it in its function: Special Sweeping! For now she still has some coverage issues, but she'll soon improve. I'm thinking of giving her an Ancient Power/HP Fighting/Bug Buzz/Air Slash set. Hidden Power Fighting was a BLESSING, specially against those pesky steel types. Not only Monday attacks them on their weaker defensive side - Special defense -, as it also goes for the Super Effective move. And when not doing so, its ability boosts not-very-effective moves. Which, considering Bug's limited movepool, is certainly valueable. Fist plate boosts its HP Fighting, I believe.

Now to talk about the Gyms. I faced two today: Water and Steel. The first one wasn't too hard, though Waker was a pain. He has what I consider one of the most balanced teams in the game. Quagsire's 4x weakness is compensated by Gyara's resistance, and vice-versa. Also, Gyara has the power to lower my final damage output with Intimidate, flinch with Waterfall while dealing massive STAB'd damage, and also to end confrontations quickly with Brine. And his Floatzel is just a force to be reackoned. So after some tries, my main option was Mel. Toxic on Gyara, Defend Order 6 times till I had max Defense and Sp. Defense, laughing at Gyarados 'pitiful' attempts to attack. From there on, just Toxic and Power Gem to speed up the process.

The Steel gym was totally swept by Monday. HP Fighting owned everyone, including the leader. Though I had to revive Monday twice, first due to a Critical Thunderbolt by Magneton and second due to a Stone Edge from Steelix, Monday managed to KO stuff with HP Fighting without much hassle.

And that's where I'm at. See ya guys later.

Years
  • Naming a Pokemon after me? Thanks, but Yanmega doesn't fail at all, why not Kricketune? =D
    Ah, whatever, after some grinding, which was - thanks to Nincada's hyperbole-like Exp spread - quite annoying, i beat Roxanne now, with my team at level 16.

First Geodude lived a Bubble and striked back with Rock Tomb, Surskit barely survived (i tried at level 14, there it OHKOd). Nosepass was sand-attacked to death by Pirates, who did some damage with Fury Swipes (Fury Swipes with Compundeyes is completely amazing) afterwards as well. After Nincada died, i got luckier and Nosepass didn't get any more hits on me, so after some Bubbles it was finally dead. On to Dewford!

I won't post my team now, Surskit learned Sweet Scent, and Nincada learned Sand-Attack and Fury Swipes, and forgot Harden, so no major changes that would be worth posting the team.

Update: I did all the things up to Mauville (but skipped Brawly, didn't feel ready for battling him yet), caught me a rash Illumise and put Surskit and a male Nincada into daycare (no eggs yet =(). I had already done all that stuff between Mauville and Verdanturf, but lost against Wattson's first underling (i hate magnemite so much), so i had to reload and found myself back before catching Illumise. Caught me a lot more Illumise (the rash one was the first i met), finally got a timid one now. Saved.
    Next: Doing Verdanturf stuff again, and a lot of grinding since nothing in my team can hurt Magnemites. Ugh...

Team:
    Spr_3r_291.png

Pirates! / Ninjask f Lv.25 @ Silk Scarf
    Adamant Nature / Speed Boost
    - Scratch
    - Fury Cutter
    - Swords Dance
    - Double Team
    Ninjask is a good Pokemon, but that moveset completely sucks, but Fury Swipes just isn't viable without Compoundeyes... Fury Cutter can became incredibly powerful, but sadly Ninjask doesn't have the defenses to abuse that... But i should get Slash and the Dig (i know Dig is weak in gen 3, but it's the only think i can do against Rocks and Steels) TM soon, and then things will get better.
    Spr_3r_292.png

Shedinja / Shedinja Lv.20 @ /
    Adamant Nature / Wonder Guard
    - Cut
    - Flash
    - Screech
    - Double Team
    Shedinja isn't really a part of my team because it sucks most of the time, it took the place of the Nincada that i put into daycare as a HM Slave because that Nincada was my only male Pokemon. But Shedinja saved me 2 times when Magnemites on the Cycling Road had defeated Ninjask and Surskit, sadly Confusionhax screwed me up against Wattson's underling...
    Spr_3r_314.png

Illumise / Illumise f Lv.13 @ /
    Timid Nature / Oblivious
    - Tackle
    - Sweet Scent
    - Charm
    - Moonlight
    Even with rash, Illumise without special attacks was hard to use,so with timid this should became even harder... But in the end it will pay out, i'll need special def. a lot more than attack... I'll have to look up where to get the VS Seeker in Ruby (never found it yet) to earn some money to get a Thunderbolt TM. And an Ice Beam TM for the new Surskit i'm breeding for.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back