• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    I started Platinum. Already got the first badge. I beat the first gym with Kricketune, using Sing, X Attack, Dire Hit, and a maxed-out Fury Cutter. Right now, I'm at floaroma town. I just got the honey, and used it to get pokemon out of the honey trees. Yes, I manipulated the watch. I was not going to wait 6h for a CHANCE of getting a pokemon. Specially, when I'm looking for a specific gender too! Having that in mind, here's my team so far:

Martyr, the level 20 Kricketune
    ~ Fury Cutter
    ~ Growl
    ~ Bide
    ~ Sing

The only Bug I could use against the 1st gym. Fortunately, Fury Cutter, when maxed out, has 160 base power. Adding Swarm and STAB to that, it becomes 300. He is also Adamant nature, which is pretty nice. Unfortunately, I won't be keeping him. Only used him so I could do the 1st gym on a Bug restriction as well. In fact, that is where his name came from: he's just there to feel some pain >_>' In any case, now that I got some of my REAL future members, he's going to start having a much secondary role. Dunno if I should deposit him right away or wait a bit.

Mel, the level 11 Combee
    ~ Gust
    ~ Sweet Scent

Got it a little bit ago, so no use talking about what I still haven't really tried. As a curious fact of trivia, 'Mel' is not only a short for an english name, but it also means 'Honey' in portuguese. That's where the name came from.

Cindy, Sandy and Mindy, the level 11 Burmies.
    ~ Tackle
    ~ Protect (AMGAMGAMG! UBER MOVESET!)

Also haven't tried them. They are all female, because I want the three versions of Wormadam. I COULD use Mothim, which would probably serve me better than these dudes. However, I don't want to have too many Bug/Flying types on my team. That was the main reason why I decided not to go with Mothim, and get these dudes intead. Their names come from the Magus Sisters, figures presents in the Final Fantasy series.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • 4th Hoenn entry
    Version: Emerald
    Type: Grass

After some major grinding in Fallarbor, I finally moved on to taking care of Team Magma at Mt. Chimney, then taking on Flannery. Her gym was quite the challenge, I had to get out of there to heal Lombre a couple times. When I finally got to her, Lombre took care of her first three (or four? I don't remember) Pokémon, but Torkoal was a beast. Luckily, Lombre is not weak against Fire, which is obviously why I chose him for this gym, but he didn't know any Water-type moves at the time, so I had to keep using Fury Swipes and Thief, (And I'd forgot to buy some medicine, so I repeatedly used my Red Flute and all my Cheri Berries, several Soda Pops, a Hyper Potion and a Full Heal) and then I finally took it down eventually. Then I moved on to my dad's gym, where Breloom knocked down every single Pokémon in one hit. It was pathetic, to be honest. A single STAB Sky Uppercut from Breloom, and teh mighty Slaking goes down. Anyway, now I'm gonna go to bed, and then I'll continue tomorrow.

Current team:

Sceptile, lv. 42
    Bold Nature // Overgrow
    - Leaf Blade
    - Pursuit
    - Absorb
    - Cut

Breloom, lv. 42
    Relaxed Nature // Effect Spore
    - Mega Drain
    - Sky Uppercut
    - Rock Smash
    - Mach Punch

Lombre, lv. 40
    Serious Nature // Swift Swim
    - Absorb
    - Fake Out
    - Surf
    - Thief

Nuzleaf, lv. 40
    - Rock Tomb
    - Fake Out
    - Faint Attack
    - Facade

I simply don't have the time to write a comment on all four of them. Or, well, I do have the time, I just don't want to. My team isn't complete yet, I still need a Tropius. And I'm still somewhat uncertain as to whether or not I want to have a sixth ember on my team... Cradily, maybe, but I don't know if I want to train a Lileep from level 5 to keep up with the others... Bellossom, maybe, but I don't really feel like having a Gloom on my team again.

Anyway, I've already started planning my Platinum team - Obviously, I'm gonna have Torterra. And I'm thinking Leafeon and Abomasnow, too. And possibly Cherrim. I don't want a six-member team, so maybe four will do.

Benzee

I got your number, on the wall
    Years
  • Okay well here's what I've done thus far on Red.

*Started my adventure, obviously chose Charmander.

*Evolved Charmander into Charmeleon

*Cleared the Pewter City Gym, obtaining the Boulderbadge.

*Made my way through Mt. Moon

*Caught an Abra for teleport

*Caught Mew for an HM slave

Current team:

Charmeleon Level 26
    Moveset: Scratch, Leer, Rage, Ember

Abra Level 10
    Moveset: Teleport

Mew Level 7
    Moveset: Pound

Well, time for Cerulean Gym.

Total Playtime: 3:35

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • Small update!

I went to Fortree city, continued to get the devon scope.
    Beat Winone easily: rock Tomb from Swampert for Pelliper, Surf for Swellow and Skarmory and Ice beam from Azumaril for Altaria.

Team:

Azumaril lvl 50
    Surf
    Strenght
    Ice beam
    Hidden power Fight

Swampert lvl 50
    Surf
    Rock Tomb
    Dig
    Strenght

Years
  • I beat Sabrina and Erika twice, and twice my Scizor OHKOd itself against Janine's Crobat, twice i pressed the Reset Button, and twice i didn't save the whole time. That really sucks lol, usually people should learn from their mistakes

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010
    Time for another update! Well this is my most recent list of things I've recently done recently...;

• Made it to Mt. Moon
    • Bought Magikarp, named it USELESS then deposited it into the PC (It was just for the Pokedex so I can get Flash later on).
    • Caught a Paras and named it Shroomy @ Lv.13
    • Beat all the trainers in Mt. Moon (including team rocket who went down with 1 confusion attack to each pokemon except koffing who barely hung on...)
    • Made it out of Mt. Moon
    So now I'm sitting in the exit of Mt. Moon with my party now looking like this;

BUTTERS
    Lv.21
    Attacks;
    -Tackle
    -Poison Powder
    -Sleep Powder
    -Confusion

SHROOMY
    Lv.13
    Attacks;
    -Scratch
    -Stun Spore

HM Slaves; Pikachu (FLASH : ))

To do list;

• Train Paras
    • Get the Cascade Badge
    • Meet Bill
    • Board the SS Anne
    • Get the Thunder Badge
    • Get Flash
    • Etc.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    So yeah, I'm back with an update of my FR run through. I beat it after two days of heavy gaming with a team in their early 50's. Here's the screenshot:

Two of these I never trained before (vaporeon and Poliwrath), one I haven't trained since Yellow (Blastoise), and one is pretty much a staple for me (Lapras). So yeah, I think I did a pretty good job with my team. Most of the final Rival battle, I was spamming surf and ice beam. XD

I think I'm gonna take a well-deserved break before seeing how fast I can run through HGSS.

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • WOOHOO, ONLY 1 REGION LEFT!!!

Nobody will be interested in my boring battles against team magma and the gym leaders, so I'll only list the E4 battles. Oh, and I caught a Tentacool and evolved it. I used it once in the league...

Dark trainer:
    Mightyena went down by Azumaril's Surf.
    Cacturne by his Ice beam.
    Sharpedo by his Brick break.
    Shiftry by his ice beam.
    Absol by Surf.

Ghost trainer was pretty much Surf, nothing exciting...

ice trainer:
    Surf for Glalies and Brick break for Walrein and the 2 Sealeos.

Dragon trainer was kinda boring too, Ice beam did all.

Steven:
    Skarmory went down by Swamperts Surf, I had to use 1 Pecha berry.
    Cradily was the only league pokemon I used Tentacruel for, because of Liqued ooze, which I switched from Swampert to him the turn he used Giga drain. Then I was pretty much a few Blizzards.
    Aggron was pretty easy and 1HKO with Surf.
    Claydol was Surfs from Swampert, he used light screen and 3 Full restores, but I eventually did it.
    Armaldo was also just Surf.
    Metagross was 2 hit KO by Swamperts Earthqyake

Continuing to Diamond, only 1 region to go!

started the game, bla bla bla.
    Chose Piplup, beat that stupid Starly.
    Caught a Bidoof.
    Trained them up a bit.
    Beat my rival easily.
    Bidoof evolved.
    Beat the Rock gym easily with Bubble from Piplup, he evolved.
    Did the stuff at valley windworks.
    Caught a Buizel which I'm now going to train.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • 5th Hoenn entry
    Version: Emerald
    Type: Grass

Righto. I've now made it to Fortree City.
    On Route 120, I caught myself a Tropius and an Oddish. I know I said I would hate to have to deal with the damn thing again, but well.. I changed my mind. I taught Fly to Tropius, trained them both a single level, mainly to make Oddish evolve. Then I found Steven, who gave me the Devon Scope, and then I challenged Winona's gym.

Nuzleaf owned a couple of her Pokémon with Rock Tomb, but eventually Altaria took him out, so I sent out Sceptile, which turned out be a bad move. Altaria took him out in, like, two turns. Then I sent out Lombre, who manages to do some damage with Surf, but eventually he gets his ass kicked. Then I try sending out Breloom, despite his major weakness to Flying-type attacks. However, with two Sky Uppercuts, Breloom manages to knock out both her Altaria and her Skarmory. Now I'm at Fallarbor, where I intend to grind the **** out of Tropius and Gloom, so that they can keep up with the others.
    Current team:

Sceptile, lv. 46
    Bold // Overgrow
    - Leaf Blade
    - Slam
    - Absorb
    - Cut

Lombre, lv. 45
    Serious // Swift Swim
    - Absorb
    - Fake Out
    - Surf
    - Uproar

Breloom, lv. 45
    Relaxed // Effect Spore
    - Mega Drain
    - Sky Uppercut
    - Rock Smash
    - Mach Punch

Nuzleaf, lv. 46
    Relaxed // Early Bird
    - Rock Tomb
    - Fake Out
    - Faint Attack
    - Facade

Gloom, lv. 27
    Gentle // Chlorophyll
    - Poisonpowder
    - Stun Spore
    - Sleep Powder
    - Acid

Tropius, lv. 27
    Hasty // Chlorophyll
    - Fly
    - Razor Leaf
    - Stomp
    - Aerial Ace

Rabid Ditto3 8

Migrating Coconut
    Years
  • Alright it's been a while since, my first post, I've been a bit busy lately.
    1st Gen Poison Run

I made it through Mt. Moon, along the way picking up a Zubat (named it Ct.Chocula) and he's been an invaluable member of the team with Supersonic. In Cerulean city, I once again faced my rival, Bowser, and proceeded to reach Bill past Nugget Bridge.

With my newly earned strength, I headed to Misty's gym. Ct. Chocula made easy work of Misty's guards with Wing Attack. I switched Solartank to front for my confrontation with Misty. Staryu was easily taken out with a Razor Leaf while Starmie needed two, but its Swift didn't do much anyways. And so I earned the Cascade badge and the right to use Cut.

I end my journey once again, heading towards Viridian City.

Current Team​

Solartank level 25
    - Razor Leaf
    - Poisonpowder
    - Leech Seed
    - Vine Whip

Ct.Chocula level 24
    - Bite
    - Wing Attack
    - Supersonic
    - Leech Life​

Jacobguy26

Crobat Master
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2012
    Yo!
    This sounds really awesome, So I will sign UP!!!
    I am starting with WATER on BLUE Version!

Squirtle will be my starter (duh) And i will go pretty quick cuz ill be on a rom until Platinum version (my gameboy is broked)

Itll be tough without my crobat *sigh*

Let's Go!!

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
    Years
  • Decided to start up my VBA today.

I'm not gonna do a story type thing because I got from Violet to Olivine, but I'll just say I'm a lot farther. I also got lucky enough for my Pokemon to get Pokerus. First time I've ever had it! Anyway, my team so far is...

Crobat Lv. 32
    Leech Life(Haven't had a real chance to change it)
    Wing Attack
    Bite
    Confuse Ray

Togetic Lv. 27(pokerus)
    Sweet Kiss
    Charm
    Metronome
    Flash

Jumpluff Lv. 27(Pokerus)
    PoisonPowder
    Synthesis
    Sleep Powder
    Leech Seed
    (Will change once it learns a good Grass move)

Noctowl Lv. 25 (Pokerus)
    Tackle(Meh)
    Hypnosis
    Foresight
    Peck

Yanma Lv. 21(Pokerus)
    Sonicboom
    Quick Attack
    Foresight
    Double Team

My Totodile is being used as an HM slave, so that's not important.

Last edited:

Jacobguy26

Crobat Master
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2012
    Alright its been like, 3 days...

I JUST Finished Blue Version

My team at the end of all this was

Starmie, lvl 48

Golduck, lvl 43

Blastoise, lvl 48

Poliwrath, lvl 42

Vaporeon, lvl 43

Gary would've been a pain if starmie hadn't totally owned. it took out pidgeot, alakazam, gyarados, arcanine, and rhydon... wow.

Moving on to Silver soon, starting wit Totodile!

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I haven't played much recently due to my laptop acting up, but I've beaten the Sunnyshore gym. Slughorn (Gastrodon) just swept through it, and only fell to Electrivire - I got him to the red zone with Earthquake, but he hit me with a Giga Impact and knocked me out (I was already weakened because Gastrodon is slower than most Pokemon, especially in an Electric gym). Pingu's (Empoleon) Brine finished the job off.

To the Pokemon League!

Years
  • Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Noctowl Lv. 25 (Pokerus)
    Tackle(Meh)
    Hypnosis
    Foresight
    Tackle
    Noctowl with Double Tackle? Is that a reference to your username (Water Gun, Water Gun, Sky Attack)? =D

I'm still at Vermilion, but i decided to finally continue progressing now

UPDATE: I did the whole stupid, long and annoying power plant quest, caught Snorlax (wasn't easy with just 4 Ultra Balls and 1 Poke Ball, i forgot to get the Master Ball from Elm), and beat all Gym Leaders except for Blue and Blaine. Saved at Pewter after beating Brock with 5 Giga Drains from Butterfree.

Team:

Cool Eyes / Butterfree f Lv.52 @ Miracle Seed
    ~ Giga Drain
    ~ HP Ice
    ~ Sleep Powder
    ~ Psychic
    Butterfree is one of my 3 core members, since Sleep is always a good thing to have.

Eeek! / Ariados f Lv.53 @ Pink Bow
    ~ Sludge Bomb
    ~ Return
    ~ Leech Life
    ~ Dig
    Kanto is weak and underleveled, so it helped to balance the level gap between Ariados and the rest of my team.

iWin / Ledian f Lv.53 @ Nevermeltice
    ~ Thunder Punch
    ~ Reflect
    ~ Light Screen
    ~ Ice Punch
    Ledian is not that important atm, but Double Screen support will really help me against Red i think. Too bad Light Clay doesn't exist yet here...

Forry / Forretress m Lv.50 @ Leftovers
    ~ Rollout
    ~ Curse
    ~ Explosion
    ~ Strength
    I'm considering Toxic, but i don't really know what to replace for it... If anyone reads this, what do you think?

BulletPwnc / Scizor f Lv.51 @ Leftovers
    ~ Return
    ~ Agility
    ~ Baton Pass
    ~ Swords Dance
    For some reason Scizor mostly lives a lot longer than Forretress, maybe because Forretress can't really hurt trouble stuff as good as Scizor does

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016

Team:

Cool Eyes / Butterfree f Lv.52 @ Miracle Seed
    ~ Giga Drain
    ~ HP Ice
    ~ Sleep Powder
    ~ Psychic
    Butterfree is one of my 3 core members, since Sleep is always a good thing to have.

Eeek! / Ariados f Lv.53 @ Pink Bow
    ~ Sludge Bomb
    ~ Return
    ~ Leech Life
    ~ Dig
    Kanto is weak and underleveled, so it helped to balance the level gap between Ariados and the rest of my team.

iWin / Ledian f Lv.53 @ Nevermeltice
    ~ Thunder Punch
    ~ Reflect
    ~ Light Screen
    ~ Ice Punch
    Ledian is not that important atm, but Double Screen support will really help me against Red i think. Too bad Light Clay doesn't exist yet here...

Forry / Forretress m Lv.50 @ Leftovers
    ~ Rollout
    ~ Curse
    ~ Explosion
    ~ Strength
    I'm considering Toxic, but i don't really know what to replace for it... If anyone reads this, what do you think?

BulletPwnc / Scizor f Lv.51 @ Leftovers
    ~ Return
    ~ Agility
    ~ Baton Pass
    ~ Swords Dance
    For some reason Scizor mostly lives a lot longer than Forretress, maybe because Forretress can't really hurt trouble stuff as good as Scizor does

To tell the truth, I don't know. Does your Strenght move do that much damage? Cause Explosion is so god damn useful. On the other hand, Curse and Toxic on the same set... they don't combine. 4 Slots is too little for you to try and get 2 strategies on there. It really depends. But if you really want it, trade Strenght for it. You can then replace it by another Strenght, or even Return, if you regret it.

I advanced a bit on my mono bug. I find it harder to progress on the 4th gen, cause I don't like it as much >_>' IN any case, I decided to ditch Cindy, Mindy and Sandy, the 3 wormadams. The hell with them, I can't be bothered to train them all >_>' So I proceeded with Mel, the Vespiqueen, and Martyr, the Kricketune. Fantina was a joke with Rock Gem or whatever is that rock move of Mel's... I'll post a more informative update some other day.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    Okay, after being down and out from my routine twice a year sinus drain-fest, I've started up on SoulSilver. I chose Totodile (since I am doing water) and am battling Falkner now with my level 15 Totodile. Just beat Falkner. Totodile's now Level 16. Why am I on so late? I want wooper. XD a night time only poke. So yeah. Caught a level 6 female wooper. First wild poke outside violet I come across.

Current team minus HM Slave and Egg

Wooper F Lv6
    Careful Nature
    Water Gun
    Tail Whip
    Mud Sport

Totodile M Lv16
    Careful Nature
    Bite
    Leer
    Rage
    Water Gun

And now I'm gonna save and get some shut eye.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back