• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Solution: separate Nakuzami's Lost Islands League idea from Wymsical's "war-like" idea and from drunk's pokéspe-Arceus-idea.

Conclusion? It's difficult to have loads of GMs on one single RP and make it large and organized.

Wymsical

V.S. The Wymsical Champion
Years
Okayokayokay! This is getting confusing.

@Drunk: I wasn't shooting your ideas out, simply disagreeing with them.

But I agree only three people per region.

@Nakuzami: Tournament ideas suck. I disagree, however the rest of your idea is good. The fact that tensions are rising might work out well, but having a large war would create chaos and would hence make the RP(s) more fun. It's a choice between tensions and war. I vote Naku's tensions idea, though.

The sequel doesn't fit in to the first five at all. I completely disagree, sorry.

But I agree, no Arceus. Too cheesy.

No offense, but 'trainers' has gotten seriously old, just say they're a group of elites brought together to bring down the teams. 'The Protectors' kinda sucks too, so come up with something else, just please not 'trainers'

Edit: OMG! Forget eerything I just said! I had an epiphany again! (Sudden realization of awesome RPing truth)

Alright, I'm prepared to flush everything I have down the toilet and come up with this simple new awesome plan: Foreigners. I've been thinking, and I found a way to fit RHCP's Foreigners RP into our plan. It's simple: The Foreigners tournament is going on in all five regions, one in Kanto (Already started) one in Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova. Voila. Once they're all done, a mass tournament takes place featuring most of the contestants and even winners from the Master Quests. What do you guys say?

Last edited:

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
I've found that including legendary pokemon is usually more trouble than it's worth. That is to say, too many people hate it.

On the other hand I have to severely contrast Wymsical by saying that concepts don't age. You as a roleplayer age out of them.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years
Edit: OMG! Forget eerything I just said! I had an epiphany again! (Sudden realization of awesome RPing truth)

Alright, I'm prepared to flush everything I have down the toilet and come up with this simple new awesome plan: Foreigners. I've been thinking, and I found a way to fit RHCP's Foreigners RP into our plan. It's simple: The Foreigners tournament is going on in all five regions, one in Kanto (Already started) one in Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova. Voila. Once they're all done, a mass tournament takes place featuring most of the contestants and even winners from the Master Quests. What do you guys say?

Considering te fact that RHCP's RP is taking place in one region at a time, and probably recycling characters over to the other regions (okay, I don't actually know this, but it's sort of how slls81's A New Professor in Town went, and it's sort of awesome if it keeps going)…

Well, like Yellow said people will age out of it.

I believe that the RPs should definitely be short and happen simultaneously, because otherwise people, we'll just not get there.

I do disagree with RHCP's solution though… I wouldn't want to start three RPs with the same gimmick (that they all happen in different places at the same time) at the same time. We would take over the RP Corner/Lounge, and at least one of them will be forgotten… with my GMing record, I don't need the competition. x(

Anyways, you should keep us informed on how the RP's going Naku, and I'm still willing to help out with anything. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
@ drunk - don't worry, I was mostly posting my skepticism about the whole idea ;p but of course it's never great to have too many RPs with the same concepts. That doesn't even work for journey RPs.

And about using Foreigners... there, drunk is totally correct about my mindset :3 I was planning to move on to another region and recycle characters if the players want to be in the new region as well. So I wouldn't want the Foreigner concept to be used by others.

The concept of a region (or world-) spanning competition to stimulate/improve pokémon training isn't new though. Both Doctor Who's "New Johto League" and Breezy's and Swan's active journey RPs play on that same concept. So it's pretty much proven that it's a concept that works ^^

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
And Wym

Okay, now it's my turn to be confused. I still don't get what RHCP wants to do with Foreigners. Recycle characters? Move on? What?
You'll know when we get there, if it gets there. :3 What I mean is basically, if the RP manages to reach its conclusion, I might spin the story further and make up a reason to move the RP into another region and thus start a sequel.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years

Well . . . that could work.
It's just that, like Red said, *Foreigners is going to continue on after Kanto, so it wouldn't really fit. We could always just make a . . . an idea with a similar concept though.
Agh . . . if the idea we come up with (i.e. we use the tensions between regions idea) won't fit with The Lost Islands League, I'll just end up making LIL a separate RP then, lol.

@PkMn Trainer Yellow - If we did end up including legendaries, it would only be smaller ones, like The Legendary Beasts/Birds/Regis and stuff. Arceus and the other, larger legendaries are a huge no-no. They're way too cliche, in my opinion.

Okay . . . if we're limiting it to 3 RPers per region . . . or, how about 15 RPers in total, but they may make 2 characters if they wish? Well, if we're limiting it to that, would it be easier to just make one or two RPs, rather than a separate RP for each region?

Wymsical

V.S. The Wymsical Champion
Years
You know, I'm starting to rethink this whole RP for each region thing. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all. It's too much work.

@RHCP: Ah, now I see. Yeah, we wouldn't be able to use Foreigners when you've already got plans for it. So much for Epihpanys

Nakuzami

Years
You know, I'm starting to rethink this whole RP for each region thing. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all. It's too much work.

@RHCP: Ah, now I see. Yeah, we wouldn't be able to use Foreigners when you've already got plans for it. So much for Epihpanys

Ah, yes, but the great things never come so easily, do they?
Then again, if it was an idea of mine . . . there's no way it can turn out good. OH WELL, LET'S TRY ANYWAYS!! :D

How do you find and choose the songs for your character playlists?
I . . . tend to choose some random song that I think fits my character, usually from the many songs I have on my phone. Then again, I haven't come up with too many theme songs for my characters. I know my most recent character I kinda got some inspiration for from a song (a few songs, but one in particular) so I added that to the SU. (Shun from *Foreigners in case you were wondering. :P)

Something completely unrelated to RPing: You guys see that Modern Warfare 3 beat Avatar for fastest selling game/movie/whatever ever? I'm disgusted >:C

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
How do you find and choose the songs for your character playlists?

I listen to music all the time, in pretty much every genre that isn't unreasonably obscure so I generally can think of something pretty easily. And if I can't think of anything I just use Nujabes, anything by Nujabes.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
How do you chose songs for your character playlist

Well, First, I would listen to the soundtrack for Half-Life 2 and all episodes with it, if none of them fit, I would move on to another soundtrack. If all those fail to do what I want I go into real music and think up songs till I find the right one. But normally, Kelly Baily's Half-Life 2 soundtrack works for everything.

Nakuzami

Years
@ODST - OH EM GEE, HALF LIFE~! :D
xD

Well, anyways, Blaziken15 kinda made me come up with an idea for the Journey RPs, so here it is:
The Lost Journies:
Pokemon training; a practice long since forgotten. Although there may be some people that still live and fight alongside Pokemon, there has not been a Pokemon League since the Great War nearly half a century ago. Now that the effects of the war have, for the most part, subsided, the Pokemon League is reforming. In an attempt to encourage people to once again go on Pokemon Journies, the newly reformed Pokemon League has initiated a challenge of sorts. This challenge will require that you travel around your home region and defeat the recently rebuilt Pokemon Gyms, and eventually enter the Pokemon Conference in that region, if you make it far enough of course. Not only will the victorious trainers become famous and be crowned Pokemon Champions, but they shall receive a very large sum of prize money.

Sounds perfect, right? The chance to travel the world, train Pokemon, and even become rich while doing so? Incredible! However, there are those that will not stand to see the revival of the Pokemon League, and let us pray to Arceus that you never encounter them. . .
And then from there we go on to explain the evil teams and everything, and whatever else might need explaining/expanding, and then I guess it's good to go~! If everyone likes the idea, of course.

So, seeing as we're limiting it to about 3 RPers per region, or 15 RPers total, would it be better to have it all in one RP, 2 RPs, or 5 separate RPs? I don't think it should be the latter, but if it's what everyone else prefers, then whatever.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years
@ODST - OH EM GEE, HALF LIFE~! :D
xD

Well, anyways, Blaziken15 kinda made me come up with an idea for the Journey RPs, so here it is:
The Lost Journies:
Pokemon training; a practice long since forgotten. Although there may be some people that still live and fight alongside Pokemon, there has not been a Pokemon League since the Great War nearly half a century ago. Now that the effects of the war have, for the most part, subsided, the Pokemon League is reforming. In an attempt to encourage people to once again go on Pokemon Journies, the newly reformed Pokemon League has initiated a challenge of sorts. This challenge will require that you travel around your home region and defeat the recently rebuilt Pokemon Gyms, and eventually enter the Pokemon Conference in that region, if you make it far enough of course. Not only will the victorious trainers become famous and be crowned Pokemon Champions, but they shall receive a very large sum of prize money.

Sounds perfect, right? The chance to travel the world, train Pokemon, and even become rich while doing so? Incredible! However, there are those that will not stand to see the revival of the Pokemon League, and let us pray to Arceus that you never encounter them. . .
And then from there we go on to explain the evil teams and everything, and whatever else might need explaining/expanding, and then I guess it's good to go~! If everyone likes the idea, of course.

So, seeing as we're limiting it to about 3 RPers per region, or 15 RPers total, would it be better to have it all in one RP, 2 RPs, or 5 separate RPs? I don't think it should be the latter, but if it's what everyone else prefers, then whatever.

I don't know. I honestly don't see the necessity of having this be a post-world war world… it doesn't seem to bring anything too different from other similar RPs like the Breezy's Whirl Cup or Swan's Fresh Start to the mixture.

Also, taking into consideration that five is a prime number, I don't know if I'd make any number of threads other than one or five… I don't know how two or three would work.

IN OTHER NEWS --- I'm torn between making a journey RP (using Arceus as a clichéd plot device… as well as other secret plot stuff that I thought would one day be a fanfic :3), or making a journey-like Digimon RP (which would use "biomerging" as a way to reach the Mega level, and be heavily centered around the Digimon Frontier Spirits)…

Suggestions people?

Nakuzami

Years
I don't know. I honestly don't see the necessity of having this be a post-world war world… it doesn't seem to bring anything too different from other similar RPs like the Breezy's Whirl Cup or Swan's Fresh Start to the mixture.

Also, taking into consideration that five is a prime number, I don't know if I'd make any number of threads other than one or five… I don't know how two or three would work.

Well, I don't want it to be way out there. With this background, it gives a reason as to why Pokemon Journies have not been around for half a century. It also gives it a more unique backstory and leaves some questions around this "Great War" which we can later build off of, or maybe not. Depends on how it goes.

Well, with two RPs you'd have 2 regions in one and 3 in another. If it went up to three, you'd have two in two and one in one. It doesn't need to be exactly even, but I don't think the number of threads really matters, other than the fact it would separate the RPers more.

IN OTHER NEWS --- I'm torn between making a journey RP (using Arceus as a clichéd plot device… as well as other secret plot stuff that I thought would one day be a fanfic :3), or making a journey-like Digimon RP (which would use "biomerging" as a way to reach the Mega level, and be heavily centered around the Digimon Frontier Spirits)…

Suggestions people?

. . . oh my Arceus, do not use Arceus . . . xD
Digimon . . . well, I don't know what exactly Digimon Spirits is, but I'm sure you could make it work. Just as long as you don't make a Pokemon RP with a cliche Arceus plot o.o

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
Years
I'd say a world after a Great War would be an awesome thing to play with, but not after things have subsided, that would completely defeat the purpose. I mean imagine a world just recovering from such a thing, with the craters from the bombs still in the ground, the trenches still dug, the people still in poverty and relying on a government to make it all better again. A government that might not have the well-being of the people in their interests. Now that is a setting you could really play with.

In fact if I hand't just started a new rp that would've been a setting I could dive nose-first into. Especially playing with the scars of the people and the distrust for foreigners that would be triggered, it would make for a pretty dark roleplay.

But maybe I've just been reading too many war books.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years
I'd say a world after a Great War would be an awesome thing to play with, but not after things have subsided, that would completely defeat the purpose. I mean imagine a world just recovering from such a thing, with the craters from the bombs still in the ground, the trenches still dug, the people still in poverty and relying on a government to make it all better again. A government that might not have the well-being of the people in their interests. Now that is a setting you could really play with.
I whole-heartedly agree with this. However, I don't see why anyone would go out on a Pokémon journey in something similar to post-WWI Europe (although with a proper reason (ie. not money)) I'm sure it could work.

And personally, I don't really understand how Arceus is a bad thing in an RP… he's the freaking God of Pokémon, I get it, underplay or overplay him and you destroy your credibility… but I believe I could work wonders using him as a short-lived major plot device. :cool:

Anyways, it seems like there's about to be a surplus of journey RPs (not that I'm complaining since I love them), but maybe I should go with the Digimon one to bring out something with less competition… I'm sure I'll post my journey concept here at some point. Besides, I'm way more willing to let Christmas kill a Digimon RP than a Pokémon one… x3

@Nakuzami: The spirits are the things that let the Digi-destined turn into Digimon in the fourth season… it's farfetch'd taking the rest of the series into consideration but hell, it's canon.

Nakuzami

Years

In fact if I hand't just started a new rp that would've been a setting I could dive nose-first into. Especially playing with the scars of the people and the distrust for foreigners that would be triggered, it would make for a pretty dark roleplay.

But maybe I've just been reading too many war books.

That is actually a pretty great idea. But like drunk said, it wouldn't make too much sense for a bunch of people (teenagers no less) to go out and travel the world, and I don't see why their parents would let them.
But if we kept the large sum of prize money thing, I can totally see why they would go out. And perhaps being a Pokemon Champion would give you some amount of say in the government? Either way, we would then need to come up with a reason for the governments to be doing this. . .

@drunk ¬_¬ - I just see anything involving Arceus to be cliche for some reason, lol. But if you manage to make it original enough . . . then I could reconsider that, lol.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I like the Arceus plate idea. That's that.

Also, a surge in journey RPs doesn't necessarily mean that there are suddenly too many of those. They have a limit to the number of players, don't they? Thus, there are probably some people who still haven't joined a journey RP but might like to try it.

The "region reviving competition" idea is starting to tire me though... in my RP, it's mostly a way to spice up things by letting the trainers start with two already pretty strong pokémon that have bonded well with their trainer. And a reason for the characters to go around and interact and meet bad guys, of course :3 But a RP like this needs some kind of subplot that perhaps eventually becomes the main plot...

Blaziken15

You gotta purty mouth!
Years
Here's my "Great War" idea;

It was "The Great War", the war that nearly ended the civilizations within the Pokemon Universe. Every region was involved, and every region was affected. Lives were lost, cities were ruined and the species known as Pokemon were almost extinct. But just when everyone thought all was lost, the final remaining Pokemon managed to bring peace to the human forces from each region.

After the war, the humans found themselves without anything to go back to. The war they had spent years one had ended in, what seemed to be, the end of civilization. But the Pokemon decided to help the humans, even though they did not deserve it at all. After all, the humans nearly ended life as we knew it. They had lost more then they had ever dreamed of, but they did recover.

After a seven year war, it took Pokemon and humans nearly 20 years in order to reconstruct what was lost from the events. Now that everything had returned to normal, Pokemon journeys had become much less popular after the war. Adolescents wanted some kind of adventure for themselves like there was back before the war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back