• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Past or Present?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Thinking about how these games had a very steampunk feel to them in the trailer, do you think these games will take place during older generations like how R/B/Y and R/S/E took place at the same time, or do you think they'll take place after Sun/Moon, etc?

I honestly think they could take place before Gen 5, but who knows.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
When I first heard it was England and just from the names of the two versions (before actually seeing the trailer), I was hoping for something more medieval! But since there are newer Pokémon in the trailer up to Gen 7, plus the clothing and architecture seem relatively modern, I'd say it's set more in the present.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
When I first heard it was England and just from the names of the two versions (before actually seeing the trailer), I was hoping for something more medieval! But since there are newer Pokémon in the trailer up to Gen 7, plus the clothing and architecture seem relatively modern, I'd say it's set more in the present.

I've always been confused by pokemon. Like are other region pokemon being in a new region new to that region or native at the same time. Like Pokemon can have been around a few regions for years but new to the mind set of others in another. Not sure if this makes sense

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I've always been confused by pokemon. Like are other region pokemon being in a new region new to that region or native at the same time. Like Pokemon can have been around a few regions for years but new to the mind set of others in another. Not sure if this makes sense
Yeah, that is kind of confusing - I always just assumed that each region's Pokémon are native to that region, but those Pokémon then move around and spread to other regions?

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
Yeah, that is kind of confusing - I always just assumed that each region's Pokémon are native to that region, but those Pokémon then move around and spread to other regions?

I also think it matters which canon Gen 8 is in since from what I read we have more than one. Like the OG games were canon but than the remakes take over the canon but I'm confused if the remakes take over the canon of the 3rd games. I guess it is even possible the handheld era will be it's own canon too. I'd actually be ok if this is in the past and we see younger versions of certain characters. Like maybe it will fit in the DP era or a new DP era. It would be interesting if we saw Dawn and Prof.Rowan since didn't they travel before the events of DP?

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I guess we'll know what time it's set in based on the characters we see! For example, if existing gym leaders or professors were to make an appearance. I'd like that.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
While I think these games could most likely take place in the present, I'm also in favor of Gen 8 introducing a new, self-contained canon entirely!

And even with a self-contained canon, I still wouldn't be surprised if alternate versions of old characters made cameo appearances, hehe. It'd be neat!

Back