• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Zorua makes zero sense to me.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
Years
  • After a long break, bought another 3DS and finally started in on Ultra Moon. Found that you could get one of my favourite Pokémon (by looks), Zorua, very early. I never really looked into its stats, moves, etc. until today. Like I said, looks.

So, I find that Zorua has higher Sp. Atk than Atk, yet learns ZERO special moves until... level 57. Okay. And, one of its best early non-damaging moves, Fake Tears, lowers its opponent's Sp. Def. What's the point? This thing learns no special moves until you're well into the late stages of the game, and Dark Pulse isn't available until way later on, either.

All of this to say, Zorua doesn't seem like it's worth keeping around, which sucks, because I was excited to see it so early. Someone correct me if I'm wrong in saying it isn't worth having for the main game – at least, early.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah sometimes stat+move distributions for Pokemon are a little strange (hello Gen 3 Sharpedo), and idk why they do it

I don't remember when or where you get these TMs in the Gen 7 games, but you can teach it stuff like Hidden Power, Dark Pulse, Grass Knot, and Shadow Ball for special moves. When it evolves you also get like Flamethrower and Focus Blast as TM options.

though tbh if you really want to, you can make most Pokemon work in these games

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • Yeah, dark pulse doesn't come until you're basically at endgame in US/UM.

I did a little bit of thinking after making this post, and I think I understand why it's like this now: balance. Imagine having a Pokémon so soon in the game that had ridiculous Sp. Atk. and had a move that could lower the opponent's Sp. Def. by two points. It would be overpowered, and barring type matchups, you'd have no incentive to use your other Pokémon because Zorua/Zoroark would be sweeping everything. Still, it would be nice for it to learn ONE special dark move before level 57.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    i believe after it evolves into zoroark if you take it to the move relearner you can teach it night daze. better than waiting until level 64 for the move. don't quote me on this though i'm just looking to bulbapedia for reference

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • I feel this is the reality for a lot of Gen V Pokémon.
    They seem to evolve quite late, and learn moves very later on.

Back