Figure

Age 27
Male
Moscow, Idaho
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
1,418 posts
9.4 Years
If the Rom doesn't have the physical/special split I don't play it. It is what makes Gens 1-3 unplayable for me and I won't bother with a mukty Rom that doesn't implement it.
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
7 posts
31 Days
There are two types of games I like:

One with a good story such as Team Rocket Edition, or another with good QOL improvements like Radical Red or Inclement Emerald.

For its features, I need the Physical/Special Split as well as updated move sets up to at least Gen 6, as well as wide variety of Pokemon available early without crowding of routes.

Improved evolution methods such as removal of trade evolutions is also a must.

HMs should either be forgettable or replaced while TMs should be infinite.
No Flash please.

Gen 6 EXP Share is preferred but not necessary. Battle items like Choice Specs or Life Orb should be obtainable before the Elite Four as late game items.

QOL includes running indoors, no text spam whenever using Surf or Cut etc, ability to change natures/IVs/Evs without massive grinding.

I love Mega Evolution but it usually is overpowered and imbalanced in a romhack so I prefer not having it.

I do not Catch 'Em All but would prefer to have all the Pokemon in the Pokedex available in a single playthrough.

Also difficulty wise should be way above the original Pokemon games but slightly below that of Radical Red.

Thanks for listening to my TED Talk, I enjoyed writing this.

PS I really want a sequel to Team Rocket Edition set in Johto.
Male
Wouldn't YOU like to know
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
21 posts
3.1 Years
Oh it has to be 100% absolutely the addition of fakemon for me- especially even "weird" or "bad" ones!

It's so fun to see what others will create with their own ideas of pokemon / creature design. Not only that, it's also a whole new world of surprises to discover! I love exploring a unique world of strange creatures that someone else made- it's like taking a step into their own mind!

Maplekiwi

AKA Mina

She/Her
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
5 posts
1.6 Years
I agree with the majority here.
I really like the variety of Pokemon and different stories in my ROM hacks/fangames, I certainly appreciate being able to choose a gender/style for the MC, and mandatory HMs are annoying.

The only major request I have is that...
Please don't make a story exceptionally edgy (like... Deaths and bad things happening left, right, and centre just because the creator wanted a 'more mature story').
I came here to have fun with a Pokemon in tow, not to realize how miserable life can get.

I'm sorry, but after playing edgy fangames back to back to back to back, it's just draining.

SomethingTyler

SomethingTyler

Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
3 posts
2.3 Years
I agree with the majority here.
I really like the variety of Pokemon and different stories in my ROM hacks/fangames, I certainly appreciate being able to choose a gender/style for the MC, and mandatory HMs are annoying.

The only major request I have is that...
Please don't make a story exceptionally edgy (like... Deaths and bad things happening left, right, and centre just because the creator wanted a 'more mature story').
I came here to have fun with a Pokemon in tow, not to realize how miserable life can get.

I'm sorry, but after playing edgy fangames back to back to back to back, it's just draining.
I agree 100%. I feel like a lot of edgy hacks are trying to be edgy for the sake of being edgy, not for the sake of better storytelling or gameplay. Mandatory HMs are annoying (so glad they removed them from the mainstream games).

One thing I would love for more hacks to do is to have more unique starter choices instead of the stereotypical starter trio. A lot of hacks are doing it, but there's still majority limiting it to an Eevee or Riolu, which are cool, just a bit overused.
Online now
Posted 4 Hours Ago
20 posts
37 Days
Well, my "must have" features are the following:
-Unli-use TMs (ffs why not)
-Deletable HMs
-Exp Share all (makes grinding less tedious)
-Decap (a MUST have imo)
-Improved graphics (unless the hack is strictly just a difficulty hack like Radical Red)
-Updated sprites
-A fair level curve
-Challenging difficulty
-Up to date mechanics (ESPECIALLY the Physical/Special/Status split)
-Some/Most/All of the new generation mons
-If no Gen 4+ mons, then at least fakemon (hey wait a minute I am working on a fakemon rom hack)

I also prefer hacks made with the CFRU and DPE for Fire Red or DizzyEgg's works for Emerald. Also, the level caps implemented in Clover, Radical Red and Unbound are quite nice too.