• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon Sun and Moon(Anime)worth watching?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
I think that starting from ep 42 is a good place to start.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
I prefer Pokemon XY because it has a more serious tone, which I more like. nevertheless, I still think that its a good show, its Pokemon after all. So if you're a Pokemon fan I recommend you watching it.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
It has been quite a number of SM episodes and still no improvement. Lillie still does nothing in the group and the whole school theme is just boring.

I loved the show from Kanto to Sinnoh but Unova and onwards has been a disappointment for me. Alola in anime has not been good since the start in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
It has been quite a number of SM episodes and still no improvement. Lillie still does nothing in the group and the whole school theme is just boring.

I loved the show from Kanto to Sinnoh but Unova and onwards has been a disappointment for me. Alola in anime has not been good since the start in my opinion.

Well to you its bad but do you think other people can watch this?

I say start from when they go to kanto before that its a bit bad.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Well to you its bad but do you think other people can watch this?

I say start from when they go to kanto before that its a bit bad.

Everyone is welcome to watch the SM anime. I am not saying they shouldn't. I merely making an opinion on me liking the first four regions over Alola.

SM doesn't excite me much since the league does not seem to be happening. Pokemon leagues is what i like most even if some of them turn out disappointing.

Last edited:
Years
I don't like it to be frank so I wouldn't recommend it.

Animation: it went downhill compared to older seasons. Ash and TR's re-designs suck.
Setting: This was a bad idea to start with. School and Hawaii don't fit at all. Removing the old gym badge quest to change the formula was a bad idea at this point. They should've done this years ago not in SM.
Cast: There are too many companions for Ash and this is not good as they will not get enough focus.
Development: Besides Lillie, the other companions barely got development not to say almost nothing. Most of them haven't even picked their goals.

I would also like to add they're abusing of comic relief scenes as heck. I am okay with comic relief scenes but it totally looks like something outside of the show at this point as it is driving SM far way of its main goal.

Last edited:

Quiji

Shining
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 6, 2021
I'd suggest watching the first 5 SM episodes, which should paint a clear picture of what the rest of the saga is like. You can then decide to either continue watching, or drop it like a bar of soap.

Last edited:

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
I've been busy and haven't had the time to watch (Or do anything else with my free-time for that matter) but I would say it still is...

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
It isn't the animation that went down hill... I really wish people would get that right. The animation is far better than it has been. And honestly, the designs aren't that bad after you get used to them.

I have watched Sun and Moon and honestly, it has been fairly good. There is a ton of fillers, but they are usually fun to watch. This season of Sun and Moon is about to come to an end.

If you want, you can skip it, but it gets insane next season story wise. Then we will probably have a Rainbow Rocket arc.

All and all, Sun and Moon isn't my favorite, but it isn't my most hated either. If you get over the art designs of the characters you have known for 20 years, it isn't bad. But the episodes are really fun to watch.

And honestly, it hardly has anything to do with school. They are hardly at school. They may start an episode there, but they don't stay there. I could be better. It may pull a YuGiOh GX before it is all said in done with arcs coming out left and right now.

Last edited:
Years
I do not see how it looks better than old seasons tbh. OS's animation even looks better.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
The animation from Kanto to Kalos look far better than Alola in my opinion. Ash, Misty, Brock all looked terrible with their new design. Not to mention we have characters like Lillie who does nothing most of the time. Ash has far too many companions. I rather Ash has Kiawe and either Mallow or Lana as his only companions. SM anime has taken a step backwards in the pokemon anime in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
It isn't the animation that went down hill... I really wish people would get that right. The animation is far better than it has been. And honestly, the designs aren't that bad after you get used to them.

I have watched Sun and Moon and honestly, it has been fairly good. There is a ton of fillers, but they are usually fun to watch. This season of Sun and Moon is about to come to an end.

If you want, you can skip it, but it gets insane next season story wise. Then we will probably have a Rainbow Rocket arc.

All and all, Sun and Moon isn't my favorite, but it isn't my most hated either. If you get over the art designs of the characters you have known for 20 years, it isn't bad. But the episodes are really fun to watch.

And honestly, it hardly has anything to do with school. They are hardly at school. They may start an episode there, but they don't stay there. I could be better. It may pull a YuGiOh GX before it is all said in done with arcs coming out left and right now.

This doesn't look better than XY maybe OS but not XY

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I agree.

Even Ash's japanese voice actress admited animation was not good as older seasons.

Can you source the claim? I mean, it's not that I don't believe you, but if we can't simply claim something without using sources to back it up, just in case people call foul with the claim.

CidHazard

Years
I agree.

Even Ash's japanese voice actress admited animation was not good as older seasons.

Where's your source exactly? really the Japanese animation industry disagrees with this statement.

As stated by Key animator Ken Otsuka on twitter: "The art in the new Pokemon TV series is nice. It gives me a warm and happy feeling. Now if only that feeling would spread to everyone in the industry."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBH3IYRjaw (At 2:32 You see his full tweet, and the translation in 2:34)

Ken Otsuka is a key animator... meaning he's in charge of drawing principal key frames in an Animation, Distinct position and expressions, and general movement. If anyone has the credibility to critique a shows animation it's someone who actually prolifically works in the industry. His had his hands in, Rurounin Kenshin, Gundam Build Fighters, Sword art online Ordinal Scale Movie, The inuyasha movie and more...

Here are some of his works as compiled by ANN:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=11208

Years
Where's your source exactly? really the Japanese animation industry disagrees with this statement
She tweeted it on September 2016. She acknowleged flaws but still urged the fans to support it as Ash is still the same in spirit. I am on my phone right now so i can't scroll down that much but when I get my laptop I'll link you to it.

As stated by Key animator Ken Otsuka on twitter: "The art in the new Pokemon TV series is nice. It gives me a warm and happy feeling. Now if only that feeling would spread to everyone in the industry."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBH3IYRjaw (At 2:32 You see his full tweet, and the translation in 2:34)

Ken Otsuka is a key animator... meaning he's in charge of drawing principal key frames in an Animation, Distinct position and expressions, and general movement. If anyone has the credibility to critique a shows animation it's someone who actually prolifically works in the industry. His had his hands in, Rurounin Kenshin, Gundam Build Fighters, Sword art online Ordinal Scale Movie, The inuyasha movie and more...

Here are some of his works as compiled by ANN:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=11208
That's just his opinion on his work which is irrelevant. He didn't explain nor back up an argument about how animation is good or better.

I do not care what he says as he doesn't say anything relevant but his opinion. To me SM animation style is bad compared to past seasons. It's not casual everyone complains about it, lol.

Also, Did you expect him to be honest? They won't go around and say the flaws. What's left? Pokemon SM has better animation than M20? lol.

His word clearly contradicts what I and most of people see about the animation in SM. He's getting paid to say that so it's obvious. An animator will always defend its work to death even if it's flawed.

I have evidence in my hands but as i said I am on my phone right now. I'll post them tomorrow if you're serious about it.
This is just my opinion of course and I disagree.

Last edited:

CidHazard

Years
She tweeted it on September 2016. She acknowleged flaws but still urged the fans to support it as Ash is still the same in spirit. I am on my phone right now so i can't scroll down that much but when I get my laptop I'll link you to it.

That's just his opinion on his work which is irrelevant. He didn't explain nor back up an argument about how animation is good or better.

I do not care what he says as he doesn't say anything relevant but his opinion. To me SM animation style is bad compared to past seasons. It's not casual everyone complains about it, lol.

Also, Did you expect him to be honest? They won't go around and say the flaws. What's left? Pokemon SM has better animation than M20? lol.

His word clearly contradicts what I and most of people see about the animation in SM. He's getting paid to say that so it's obvious. An animator will always defend its work to death even if it's flawed.

I have evidence in my hands but as i said I am on my phone right now. I'll post them tomorrow if you're serious about it.
This is just my opinion of course and I disagree.

Sure, I'd love to see the evidence/posts of said that the animation is "Bad" from people who'm worked on the show, or industry vets. It would definitely add more to the conversation.

Also he did not work on Pokemon Sun and Moon, he is not a key animator on the show and has no reason to defend it. If you look at the link I gave with all of his works... you'd see that he has never worked on the Pokemon anime.

Shouldn't the words of an actual animator, one who has worked on dozens of feature films and anime carry more weight on a subject he is proficient with, than you know the average guy on the internet with vastly different background and skill set.

To be honest I'd love to see other vets opinions on the matter of sun and moons animation... so if you have more info please share.

Also, I've been gone for a month and this is still the hottest topic on the anime thread... XD

Last edited:
Back