• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] [FR][Worldmap] Islands map error

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    Hi everyone!! When I trying to change the world maps of islands 3 and 4, an error occurs, specifically this is the problem:

Map of island 3
    mapa_3.png

On Island 4, the same thing happens, but a little lower.
    Even repeating the process in a clean ROM, the problem keeps happening.
    Does anyone know what the reason is? I repeat, it only happens on maps 3 and 4.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • My first thought is there is some sort of error with the tilemap, because it's clearly not displaying the right tiles. I can't say why there might be an error, as I was able to edit all of my world maps just fine.

What did you use to create the tilemap?

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    My first thought is there is some sort of error with the tilemap, because it's clearly not displaying the right tiles. I can't say why there might be an error, as I was able to edit all of my world maps just fine.

What did you use to create the tilemap?

I used sphere editor, but I don't think that the tilemap is the problem, because the 4 worldmaps of the game share the same tilemap and the only maps with this error are the 3 and 4. The main worldmap and the second worldmap look good.
    Pok_mon_Fire_Redsdrhgdrhdr.png

EDIT: I forgot to say that the error is only seen when you're in game, AM doesn't show it.

Last edited:

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Aren't there some islands in the FR map that aren't viewable until you visit them? Birth Island for example. Iirc, there is some code that changes the tilemap if it hasn't been visited. I think Squeetz has the exact addresses, I don't remember them/don't have time to find them.

Try to ask him.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    Aren't there some islands in the FR map that aren't viewable until you visit them? Birth Island for example. Iirc, there is some code that changes the tilemap if it hasn't been visited. I think Squeetz has the exact addresses, I don't remember them/don't have time to find them.

Try to ask him.

So, do you propose to use that tile change system to fix the error? It may work, but it's a mistake that I think it should have another solution, why it happens in a clean ROM and why in those two maps only.
    Thanks for your answers, I'll try to ask, but if someone knows exactly what the problem is, it would be useful.

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
    Years
  • At 0xC0DA6 you'll find the function responsible for hiding Navel Rock on the world map, represented by those seemingly random tiles in the middle of your world map image. On the original tileset, these are water tiles. If flag 0x8B5 (the flag for Navel Rock) is not set, it puts them there, effectively hiding the island on the map.
    Same goes on over at 0xC0DCC. This hides Birth Island on the last world map page if flag 0x8C2 is not set.

You could add onto this routine and potentially make more hidden islands or whatever, but if you just want to remove these checks, simply put 0x31, 0xE0 at 0xC0D86.

Back