The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Fan Games Hub
Discussion Should we get more.. different ROM Hacks and Fan Games?

Fan Games Hub General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Old December 9th, 2017 (1:54 PM). Edited December 17th, 2017 by Wobb.
Wynaut

I feel like there are too many that are like:

You are a 10-16 year old boy/girl in a region. The professor wants you to explore the region, catch Pokemon, battle trainers, beat the 8 gyms and complete the Pokedex. Then you fight the Elite Four and Champion. And you do all this while fighting an evil team and stopping a legendary Pokemon from destroying the world.
This is what all the Pokemon games are, but a lot of ROM Hacks and Fan Games are like this too. Some of you might have done something like playing as the evil team.. Or maybe you don't complete the Pokedex. Maybe in your game you play as the professor, or as a Pokemon, or.. you got rid of gyms in your game.
But, all of them have one thing in common. You go around the region catching and battling Pokemon.
I think we should start doing different things.

"Wobb! Are you crazy?! A game without battling Pokemon?!"
A game without any Pokemon battles can still be good. You could compete in Pokemon Contests all around the region. Or you could live on a farm (I think I've seen this idea a few times). You could be a Pokemon photographer taking pictures of Pokemon like in Pokemon Snap. Maybe you could even just explore the region without doing anything with Pokemon (Your region will have to be super pretty if you want me to keep playing, though.)
Or you don't have to get rid of battles. You could still have battles but change something else. Like.. Instead of having a whole region to go on an adventure through, you could spend your whole game in one giant tower. Instead of being on land all the time, the whole game could be underwater, or in the sky, or even in space.
Maybe you're one of those people who wants to make a Pokemon dating simulator. Go make that. You're weird though. Or you could have a game where you work at a store, or you cook for a restaurant, with Pokemon helping you.

I'm making a hack where you play as a Clefairy who gets lost in space, and you can transform into other Pokemon and solve puzzles, and stop the evil Ultra Beasts.

Pokemon Cosmos Discord Server: https://discord.gg/FeRDmEC

Find me on Discord or whatever. @Wobb#2777
OR FIND ME ON TWITTER :D @WobbuWynaut

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 10th, 2017 (9:39 AM).
The Shadowy Copycat

Nature: Naughty
    That sounds like a great idea
    Old December 12th, 2017 (5:35 PM).
    Team Salamence

Nature: Serious
    I want to see a hack made with the ability to hunt and kill Bouffalant and obtain their pelts as sellable items. :D

Thank you,

Team Salamence is looking for talented ROM hackers, check us out at http://bit.ly/teamsalamence!
    Old December 12th, 2017 (6:23 PM).

I think I'd personally rather see more people polishing and ironing out these common features before venturing off into new territory with new revolutionary ideas. Then again, I prefer it when hacks are simple and feel like they were made by GameFreak.
    Old December 14th, 2017 (2:14 PM).
    DeliveryBoy

Nature: Relaxed
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
      I think I'd personally rather see more people polishing and ironing out these common features before venturing off into new territory with new revolutionary ideas. Then again, I prefer it when hacks are simple and feel like they were made by GameFreak.
      Yeah, I noticed that Gamefreak follows a very minimalistic style, which paradoxically
      never detracts or makes the games feel small or empty. I think it also helps with
      accessibility, not everyone feels comfortable with crazy UIs and super-complex map design...

I'm all for new ideas though, as long as they don't sacrifice balance for the sake
      of "innovation", since innovation doesn't mean throwing everything you already have
      outta the window...
      Old December 16th, 2017 (3:32 PM). Edited December 16th, 2017 by FL.
      Pokémon Island Creator

I agree that there too many similar games. In fact, I made my game Pokémon Island just to avoid the "8 GYM jorney around a new region" approach, since at least 90% of project follow this Game Freak dogma when I came into Pokécommunity (2010). I believe that the majority of projects should avoid this dogma.

If I wish to play games like Game Freak ones, I... play Game Freak games!

But removing battles maybe only works well for, like, 20% of projects, since the core of pokémon series is the battle system.
        Old December 17th, 2017 (11:11 AM).
        A238

I don't think there's anything wrong with the way people do their ROM hacks and fan-games now. Sure it might be nice to do some different stuff (and I am working on some different stuff myself) but at the end of the day, all that really matters in my mind is the execution.

If the ROM hack or fan-game is good and enjoyable and fun to play, no one's gonna care whether it has 8 Gyms or no Gyms or whatever it has. All that matters is that the game is good enough to get invested in, and that can be done through many different means; story, features, new Pokemon/forms, etc. Players just want a good experience, and that can be achieved in the standard formula that everyone uses just as much as something new and different.

If you think the current formula is boring, then make something different. Don't condemn other people's games simple because they stick close to the official games. Let them make what they want to make, and then let their work speak for itself.

Name: Voi
          Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
          Old February 6th, 2018 (9:25 AM).

Do you know a good fan Pokemon game.
            Old February 8th, 2018 (11:36 AM).
            Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla

Nature: Lax
              I have a few ideas for some fangame that, at my current skill level, I'm not able to see to fruition yet. They actually fall into the realm of different approaches to the Pokemon world than what we've seen.

The first idea was a Breeder esque-game. You play as a Pokemon Breeder and your job is to breed Pokemon for the various clients you get. The more requests you take, the more well known your name becomes, and the more clients you get, some with harder challenges (such as breeding under a specific cycle of the year, or with a certain family tree, or specific IVs). However, that's not all there is. You can breed Pokemon for yourself, and take on Breeding Competitions across the world. These competitions are a great way to get some hard to come by items that would significantly help the breeding process, as well as to get your name known even more. There would be no designated plot, no evil team to defeat. Pokemon Battles would be few and far between. In its entirety, it would be an entirely different approach to the Pokemon World, one that I haven't seen covered yet, and think could definitely be interesting.

The other idea I had was a Shopkeeper-like game. If you've heard of Recettear, think of that, but set in the Pokemon universe instead. You play as a shopkeeper and your aim is to just sell goods. You can purchase things from other stores to sell them at yours, or you can tackle the nearby dungeons and obtain different items that were left lying around or discarded. There would probably be an element of a crafting system in order for you to make certain items to sell (Two broken Pokeball halves make a whole Pokeball, A few Oran Berries and Fresh Water could make a Potion, etc). The dungeons would have different types of items (both whole items and item parts) depending on the dungeon you go into, and the items would be randomly selected from an array and refill so you don't just deplete the dungeon in a visit. Of course, to navigate these dungeons, you'd need Pokemon of your own to get through. You'd be allowed to catch your own Pokemon, but is it a good idea to cut into your stockpile of items and funds like that...? Alternatively, you could adopt a Pokemon from the nearby Adoption Agency to help you through the world.

Alas, these would require some skill with rgss that I definitely don't have under my belt yet, but I would absolutely love to see these ideas come to fruition one day, or maybe even inspire someone else to make them, or even get their own ideas as a result of it!
              For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
              Game Projects:
              In Progress:
              Old February 9th, 2018 (7:33 AM).
              Pokemon Fossil Creator

Nature: Docile
                To be honest I think you're being a little harsh , there are loads of interesting ideas that are substantially different to the normal game formula. I personally love the game freak formula when there is mostly fakemon . The joys of playing a new official pokemon game was playing with the new pokemon and interacting with unseen environment , perhaps you've played too many games that are the same.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
                Old 11 Hours Ago (10:58 PM).
                Simple Squamous Epithelium

Nature: Calm
                  I'm personally praying for the day we see a decent/well executed rom hack in the style of the mystery dungeon games. I feel like they are kinda forgotten in the midst of the most recent games, but they will always hold a special place in my heart.

Quick Reply