• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Its been 12 years and...

Years
  • Hey everyone, literally just joined about 5 minutes ago lol. I was actually thinking about starting up just for fun. At a local hobby store by my house, where I play Warhammer 40k, there are some kids there my age who play pokemon for poop and giggles... and it made me want to get involved again. With school and hockey season soon approaching I will be very busy, but I wanted to take some time to formulate a fun deck over these two semesters and play in the summer.

Personally I love Steel and Water pokemon, Steelix is my favorite for sure. I recently bought a Steelix (Pokemon Rising Rivals: STEELIX GL LV.38) because I thought it looked cool... the best one, probably not but style points i suppose lol Ironically enough, steel and water being my fav types of pokemon, water might be a good combo. Most, if not all, Steel pokemon are weak to Fire, so i figured a good countermeasure with water would suffice. Also due to this steelix i purchased, it does not need onix to evolve (unless I have read the card wrong, but it does not show an evolve needed). I can buy a couple more of these if needed, it was only a $1.

If anyone has any input on a decent deck i can build from scratch (and if you have the cards, I would not mind making an offer and such) let me know.

I apologize if this is too vague for this thread area.

NOT TO MENTION, I love Aggron too (The one with Terra-forming seems to be a good one, it is a good special ability imo)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Alright sir sounds cool. I dont have many pokemon left, plus most are from the original 150... not to mentiona Holo's (such as orig Zapdos, Dragonite, Kangskan, Nidoking, Vaporeon, Magneton, Raichu etc.)

BUT back on topic to my deck, help with Trainer cards, specific pokemon, and whether or not a Steel Water deck would be good, would be much appreciated!!! :)

Years
  • Thanks for the help! I'm still a little stuck on what to use for trainers

What I thought of so far:

~Steelix (GL) x3
    ~Empoleon (steel "Emperor Aura") x2
    -Prinplup x2
    -Piplup x3
    ~Jirachi (final wish) x2
    ~Palkia (Lustrious orb) x1 Happened to get him today :)
    ~Energy Restore x2
    ~Energy Search x2
    ~Metal Energy x18
    ~Water Energy x7

42 cards so far. Feel free to input!!!

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Don't forget to include 4 special metal in your energy count. Gives you +10 HP per card per attack.

Years
  • Thanks for the input guys...

Cut back to 13 Metal Energy, and insert some Interviewer's Questions, Bebe's Search, Pokemon Communication, Rare Candy, and Pokemon Collector, for you basic trainers and supporters.

Ok cool, I figured more energy the better but I guess not lol

Don't forget to include 4 special metal in your energy count. Gives you +10 HP per card per attack.

I was actually going to buy all special metal energy cards, Idk if that is legal though. If not, the 4 will be no probs, I already have a couple of those.

Now as for the pokemon, are they alright? Do you feel my logic for going with Steel/ Water deck is good? What other pokemon would you recommend or alter from what I have?

SIDE NOTE: I was contemplating throwing in a couple rever holo Mawile's

From the input, I made this. What ya think?

~Steelix (GL) x2

~Metagross x2
    -Metang x2
    -Beldum x3
    -Prinplup x2
    -Piplup x3
    ~Mawile x2
    ~Palkia (Lustrious orb) x2
    ~Energy Search x3
    ~Interviewer's Questions x3
    ~Bebe's Search x3
    ~Pokemon Communication x3
    ~Rare Candy x4
    ~Pokemon Collector x3
    ~Metal Energy x14
    ~Water Energy x7

60 Cards.

I take it you need the RARE CANDY to evolve pokemon correct?

Last edited:
    Years
  • You can only have 4 Special Metal Energy, always been that way, but you can use as many basic metal energy as you want.

Rare Candy isn't necessary to evolve Pokemon, it just allows you to evolve faster, including outright skipping the Stage 1 evolution in a Stage 2 evolution line, meaning, for example, that you can evolve your Aron straight into Aggron.

Could you also post the sets they're from? If you don't know the set symbols, look them up. It'd be great to know this so we can rate your Pokemon choices, too.

Years
  • You can only have 4 Special Metal Energy, always been that way, but you can use as many basic metal energy as you want.

Rare Candy isn't necessary to evolve Pokemon, it just allows you to evolve faster, including outright skipping the Stage 1 evolution in a Stage 2 evolution line, meaning, for example, that you can evolve your Aron straight into Aggron.

Could you also post the sets they're from? If you don't know the set symbols, look them up. It'd be great to know this so we can rate your Pokemon choices, too.

Thanks, that helped very much! Last time I played was with the original 150, so im not used to this special energy and such. I still cant post links or anything yet, my post count is not high enough, if you would like i can link you pics via message?

As of now I will just post what I know:

Steelix - Rising Rivals #51 GL (reasoning for this is because he is a BASIC pokemon and doesn't need to evolve from Onix, can get him out quick, possibly evolve to X if needed. Might drop his count to 2 and have 2 Lv X Steelix's)

Metagross - Legends Awakened

Empoleon - Stormfront #2/100 130HP (Metal Based, not Water Based - Reasoning for this is he has two good attacks and a good Special Ability "Emperor Aura")

Mawile - Supreme Victors #33/147

Palkia - Majestic Dawn #11/100 (Decent attack and has Lustrous Orb)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Decided to change a little, I like Metagross better so decided to put him in there. Take a look and tell me what ya think. I wrote down where each pokemon is from in the above post.

~Steelix (GL) x2

~Metagross x2
    -Metang x2
    -Beldum x3
    -Prinplup x2
    -Piplup x3
    ~Mawile x2
    ~Palkia (Lustrious orb) x2
    ~Energy Search x3
    ~Bebe's Search x3
    ~Rare Candy x4
    ~Pokemon Collector x3
    ~Metal Energy x14
    ~Water Energy x7

60 Cards.

Years
  • Just so you know, Pokemon Lv. X can only level up from Pokemon who have that exact name, meaning that Palkia cannot level up into Palkia G Lv. X, and Palkia G cannot level up into Palkia Lv. X.

And Emperor Aura Empoleon isn't your best choice of Empoleons. The Platinum Empoleon is better, if only because it can snipe your opponent's bench.

Also, use PokeGym's research tower to find out what sets the rest of your Pokemon are from.

Years
  • x3 Beldum - Legends Awakened
    x2 Metang - Legends Awakened
    x2 Metagross - Legends Awakened

x2 Steelix GL - Rising Rivals

x3 Piplup - Platinum
    x2 Prinplup - Magestic Dawn
    x2 Empoleon - Stormfront
    or
    x2 Empoleon - Platinum

x2 Mawile - Supreme Victors

x2 Palkia - Majestic Dawn

and the rest of my deck:

~Energy Search x2
    ~Energy Restore x2
    ~Bebe's Search x3
    ~Rare Candy x4
    ~Pokemon Collector x3
    ~Metal Energy x13
    ~Water Energy x7

Last edited:
    Years
  • Your main problem is that your deck only has one heavy hitter. Focus on finding cards that speed up how fast you get Metagross out, like running a few Sableye SF (meaning that it's from Stormfront), even if it doesn't match your deck type, simply because of it's Overeager PokeBody and it's Impersonate attack, which is a great, legal way to circumvent the no trainers/supporters/stadiums on the first turn rule. Also consider running 4 Double Colorless Energy in order to help you get that Metagross attack chain moving faster. And consider running Expert Belt to give your Metagross another 40 HP so that it lasts longer, though I'm kinda iffy on it simply because your opponent gets two prizes for knocking out a Pokemon equipped with it.

Years
  • Your main problem is that your deck only has one heavy hitter. Focus on finding cards that speed up how fast you get Metagross out, like running a few Sableye SF (meaning that it's from Stormfront), even if it doesn't match your deck type, simply because of it's Overeager PokeBody and it's Impersonate attack, which is a great, legal way to circumvent the no trainers/supporters/stadiums on the first turn rule. Also consider running 4 Double Colorless Energy in order to help you get that Metagross attack chain moving faster. And consider running Expert Belt to give your Metagross another 40 HP so that it lasts longer, though I'm kinda iffy on it simply because your opponent gets two prizes for knocking out a Pokemon equipped with it.

Thanks for the input.

How about I drop the Steelix GL, get rid of Mawile, and put in two onix and two more powerful steelix's?

Example

x2 Onix - Unleashed (Energy Healer)
    x2 Steelix - Stormfront
    x4 Doubly Colorless

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Expert belt renders the pokemon +20 HP, not 40. As a general rule, I say only use the expert belt when it is a game-breaking decision, i.e. end of game where you really need to knock out that last pokemon, or if you will lose the game without the extra 20 HP. Giving up two prizes early-mid game is not worth the extra 20 damage dealt.

There are some difficulties common to all decks right now in the new format, the most notable being a lack of drawing-power since we've been spoiled by claydol. The best thing to do about that is to add 2 or 3 uxie from legends awakened, look it up and you'll see it's power is very good. Another common tech is azelf from the same set, I literally never face a deck without one anymore. Only one of those is necessary.

Honestly, I would suggest trimming down your pokemon lines. You have a few pokemon that don't really need to be there, and any card you keep in your deck that is unecessary is just preventing you from having good odds at drawing the cards you need. I see no reason for palkia or mawile, and I'd switch them out for uxie and azelf. Also, you're running an SP pokemon (the steelix) but you don't have any of the good stuff that SP pokemon can use, like Team Galactic's Invention G-105 Poké Turn (poketurn for short). Seriously consider 4 of these, as they will let you return your steelix to your hand thereby removing all damage and special conditions, ready to go again whenever you want. These also work great in tandem with cyrus' conspiracy, which can easily replace your energy search cards as it can search for an energy, a trainer with team galactic's invention in its name (poketurn), and a supporter. Here's how I'd revise the list:

x3 Beldum - Legends Awakened

x3 Piplup - Platinum
    x2 Empoleon - Platinum

3 uxie - legends awakened

1 azelf - legends awakened

1 palmer's contribution (supreme victors)
    3 poketurn (platinum)
    4 cyrus' conspiracy (platinum)
    3 bebe's search
    4 rare candy
    3 pokemon collector
    3 pokemon communication
    2 conductive quarry

4 special metal
    9 metal
    4 water

Years
  • Expert belt renders the pokemon +20 HP, not 40. As a general rule, I say only use the expert belt when it is a game-breaking decision, i.e. end of game where you really need to knock out that last pokemon, or if you will lose the game without the extra 20 HP. Giving up two prizes early-mid game is not worth the extra 20 damage dealt.

There are some difficulties common to all decks right now in the new format, the most notable being a lack of drawing-power since we've been spoiled by claydol. The best thing to do about that is to add 2 or 3 uxie from legends awakened, look it up and you'll see it's power is very good. Another common tech is azelf from the same set, I literally never face a deck without one anymore. Only one of those is necessary.

Honestly, I would suggest trimming down your pokemon lines. You have a few pokemon that don't really need to be there, and any card you keep in your deck that is unecessary is just preventing you from having good odds at drawing the cards you need. I see no reason for palkia or mawile, and I'd switch them out for uxie and azelf. Also, you're running an SP pokemon (the steelix) but you don't have any of the good stuff that SP pokemon can use, like Team Galactic's Invention G-105 Poké Turn (poketurn for short). Seriously consider 4 of these, as they will let you return your steelix to your hand thereby removing all damage and special conditions, ready to go again whenever you want. These also work great in tandem with cyrus' conspiracy, which can easily replace your energy search cards as it can search for an energy, a trainer with team galactic's invention in its name (poketurn), and a supporter. Here's how I'd revise the list:

x3 Beldum - Legends Awakened

x3 Piplup - Platinum
    x2 Empoleon - Platinum

3 uxie - legends awakened

1 azelf - legends awakened

1 palmer's contribution (supreme victors)
    3 poketurn (platinum)
    4 cyrus' conspiracy (platinum)
    3 bebe's search
    4 rare candy
    3 pokemon collector
    3 pokemon communication
    2 conductive quarry

4 special metal
    9 metal
    4 water

Thanks RE, that was a big help.

Poke Turn is great, not only can you call the pokemon back into your hand, but all cards attached to it comes with, cluth.

Cyrus's Conspiracy, as you explained is sweet but I would imagine its main purpose is to find Poke Turn.

Conductive quarry stays on the field until another stadium card comes into play, is this once a Stadium Card is played on my side, or my opponents, or either? And do I flip a coin at the beginning of each turn if CQ is in play?

It seems a lot of my trainer and support cards help with replenishing my Energy reserve and getting cards out quickly from my deck.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's the Uxie from LA with Set Up. That's a far better drawing power ability than Trade Off, since, if played right, it can give you 4+ cards in your hand, which is crazy helpful.

And there can only be one stadium at a time on the field between either player. Either player can remove the current stadium by playing a new one.

Years
  • It's the Uxie from LA with Set Up. That's a far better drawing power ability than Trade Off, since, if played right, it can give you 4+ cards in your hand, which is crazy helpful.

And there can only be one stadium at a time on the field between either player. Either player can remove the current stadium by playing a new one.

I agree, Set Up is much better.

So basically the only way that Stadium card is leaving play is if my opponent plays a Stadium, switches out an already existing stadium, or I pull back the card by playing a new Stadium. The reason I'm asking this is because the card says it is in play and active as long as another Stadium card does not come into play, I'm just making sure on whether this is strictly my side or if it incorporates my opponents side as well.

Years
  • Well, Stadiums get discarded when removed from play... and there are some attacks that have effects that remove stadiums, plus a few trainers/supporters that also remove them.

And draw power is key in the modern "metagame".

Back