• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What type do you used in your hack?

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
Years
  • Well I was just wondering since many hack use creative starter or overused one. So what type of starter do you used in your hack.
    Example, like triangle typing (fire -grass- water) or other creative triangle typing.

Last edited:

Shinypoliwrath

RMXP Noob
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2013
    That was a little hard to understand. From what I read, you're wondering whether people prefer to have grass/fire/water starters in their hacks, or to go with different types??

Personally I prefer the good old grass/fire/water for starter pokemon, it's just what I'm used to.

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
  • Sorry about the title being misleading.
    Anyway I prefer a new typing though, it be fun rather than using the same fire -grass -water starter.

felhight

Writer||Trade/Battle||Mapping
    Years
  • depending on the hack, if i go into the game just to change stats and or add little details then i leave alone. but if im redoing the game to my standards then i go with whatever i feel. im currently working on a hack that has lightning, psychic and rock as the starters.

niven

Leader of Team LegendaryTrio
    Years
  • You can't beat the classics, so I just stick with the fire/water/grass types. If I used something else it would probably be electric/ground/flying (which is what I hope to use for my hack)

Last edited:

ManInTheMask

Pro Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2016
    ManInTheMask here. I'd say the type I'd use is Grass. Otherwise, I'd use any as long as it's also Flying type (Evolution chain included.)

M.L

Invisible
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2017
    i try to stay with the normal types but if you want i wouldnt mind adding a electric or flying type :P

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • If you do, make sure that the types work in a way that there's no one starter which is weaker or stronger than the others. For example, the commonly used "Electric-Ground-Flying" circle has the electric starter be horrible against the ground one because electric doesn't do anything. Likewise with ground unto flying. The triangles that I know work are Grass-Water-Fire, Fighting-Flying-Rock and Fire-Steel-Rock.

Alternatively, you could give them one starter.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2019
    I don't really have a "routine" as for what I do for hacks yet, but the hack that I'm (barely) working on just drops you right into the action. You start standing on a dock with two Pokemon and some cash, and a dockworker welcoming you to the region. Where you go from there is up to you.

There's the problem of taking away player choice, but the benefit of getting them right into the action while avoiding the done-to-death starter sequence.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    I do both.

I give a Pokemon that is 'supposed to be given back later' to the player, then they keep it, and after some time I give them a starter choice (from the Kanto region, this time).

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • If I was making a hack, I would still keep the option of Grass/Water/Fire but make all Starters the option instead of just three.

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    My first custom were actually not real pokemon but they were electric, psychic and dark/fighting but im thinking of taking away dark type from Eiyfist

Skizzieren

- to outline; design
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2013
    I don't like putting the original starters in hacks. Hacks should be refreshing, and using other variations helps keep the game original. Plus, when the original starters are then obtainable later in the game, it adds a bit more fun, since most people value the starters.

In my hack, Maize Version, I stuck with the traditional fire/water/grass triangle, but used pokemon that evolve with stones instead of by level. (growlithe/staryu/exeggcute)

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 4, 2014
    Nah, I played a game where mankey, gastly and cubone were starters; instantly put me off. With starters, you want choice and the classics. Which is why my hack has the choice of 16 starters :)

DaleFails

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    In my hack, Pokemon : Springvale Legacies, I just kept the original triangle, however I threw in a Pyschic type and Steel type, and may add more. However, I have made it so your rival, no matter what you choose, has a Normal type starter, so neither have type advantages.

Years
  • I like the idea of having starters who evolve with stones, skizzieren. Personally I prefer pokemon who are not quick evolvers, and if there is a choice between two or more to make sure there is not one pokemon that is a clear standout as far as type advantage/power is concerned. And of course no legendaries/super powerful starters unless the game is going to be over in less than five minutes.

Back