• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports 2017 PC March Madness Bracket Challenge

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Howdy folks!! Last year I only asked. This year I am just doing. It's March Madness time, the best basketball tournament in the world. Upsets almost every day.

So, I decided to start a bracket group for us. I must stress right now, you don't need to know anything about college basketball to participate. Sometimes the best brackets are done by the people most clueless. You will be able to start filling a bracket out on Sunday evening, after the teams are announced. Brackets will lock on the first day of the tournament, the 16th.

Whoever has the most points will have bragging rights for the rest of time.

To join, simply go here:
    http://bracketchallenge.ncaa.com/#groups?category=all&search=&entry_id=&controller=groups

Look for "PokeCommunity", and join. The password is "wailord" without the quotes.

I hope to get a lot of people in on this.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I will be picking based on mascots, as usual, which means Michigan wins. Their mascot is the freaking WOLVERINES. There is nothing among the inevitable field of wildcats, jayhawks, tar heels, blue devils, and bulldogs that beats a wolverine. They also have the best fight song in the league, with the possible exception of Notre Dame. Hail to the victors.

I probably won't actually pick that bracket. Regardless of who I end up picking to win, my support lies with Duke, Michigan, Notre Dame, Providence, Rhody (if they get in), and/or Xavier.

I'd like to echo the point about not needing to know anything about basketball. Just pick the coolest mascot (Michigan) or coolest name (Xavier). Or just pick Rhode Island to win because Rhody is the best team.

If you are in the group, consider throwing the link to this thread in your sig to spread the word.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    The official bracket has been released, so it's time to start filling yours out!!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I have Nova as my champ tentatively, thinking I might change tho. That top left quarter is STACKED.

I also have a (11) Rhode Island vs (7) Michigan game. In the Sweet 16. Maybe I should revise this to be less biased? Nahhhh.

Years
  • My Sweet 16 matchups right now are the fever dream of a madman.

Wisconsin vs UNC - Wilmington
    Duke vs SMU
    Kansas vs Iowa State
    Creighton vs Michigan
    Gonzaga vs WVU
    Arizona vs FGCU
    UNC vs Butler
    UCLA vs Witchita State

I also have Duke beating Wichita State in the Natty.

Sirfetch’d

Still editing my bracket and such, but I am getting ready to have it finally set. Currently my Elite 8 matchups are as followed:

Villanova vs Duke
    Kansas vs Oregon
    WVU vs Arizona
    UNC vs UCLA

Final 4:

Duke vs Arizona
    Kansas vs UNC

Finals: Arizona over UNC

I picked a few upsets here and there in the early rounds, but I think the top seeds--save Gonzaga, are pretty safe. Arizona really impressed me this weekend despite UCLA and Oregon not being at full strength. They are also in the easiest bracket so making the Final Four is easier for them than anyone else. Of course, I might change this. Duke is looking tempting to lock in as champ right now.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Yesterday evening, one of my brothers and I compared our predictions in our brackets. He and I both made the same predictions for the Final Four and the National Championship. We both predicted the Final Four would be Villanova, Gonzaga, Oregon, and UCLA. As for the National Championship, we both predicted Gonzaga would beat Oregon.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I still am putting 0 faith in the Zags. They don't have nearly as many quality wins as the other top 8 teams, with their best coming vs 2 seed Arizona and their other two coming vs 5 seeds Florida and I-State, all on neutral floors. Sure their only remotely damaging loss (and only loss) ws at HOME vs BYU, but the three listed wins were their only Tourney-bound wins bar 3 wins vs St. Mary's. Arizona, on the other hand, beat MSU on a neural floor, has two wins against (3) UCLA, neither on their home court, swept USC, and a neutral court win vs (3) Oregon. 'Zona's losses? UCLA in Arizona, Gonzaga and Butler on neutral courts, and Oregon on literally the worst court in college basketball. Even if the Zag's do reach the final 4, they play likely either 'Nova (the overall #1 seed for a reason) or Duke (who beat Clemson, Louisville, UNC, and Notre Dame on neutral courts last week ON 4 STRAIGHT DAYS).

But resume doesn't make a team, and that is the beauty of March.

Wisconsin vs UNC - Wilmington
    Duke vs SMU
    Kansas vs Iowa State
    Creighton vs Michigan
    Gonzaga vs WVU
    Arizona vs FGCU
    UNC vs Butler
    UCLA vs Witchita State

Let's see what we have here... IS THAT DUNK CITY, FL? At least you have Duke beating the ponies of SMU, which some bracket's I've seen don't :P

I may switch back and put the Devils as my nat champion. I dunno. They look so good right now.

Years
  • Let's see what we have here... IS THAT DUNK CITY, FL? At least you have Duke beating the ponies of SMU, which some bracket's I've seen don't :P

I may switch back and put the Devils as my nat champion. I dunno. They look so good right now.

Dunk City terrifies some people and there's probably gonna be at least one crazy upset, so I figured "why not Dunk City?" I don't have confidence in either Maryland or Xavier to be the team that emerges from Orlando and moves onto San Jose, so I think it will be one of the Florida schools that advances.

My other bracket right now has the more normal FSU vs Arizona matchup.

Years
  • I know almost nothing about college basketball, but I filled out a bracket nonetheless. As long as I don't come in last, I'll consider that a win in my books!

Reactions: EC

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Schedule for today, for those in the US and with cable.

8d82fe497ec04ed63847bf2010efc9ee.png

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Day 1 Results
    I don't have the results of the Arizona game, so this is based on today's other 15 games.
    Oh and my bracket is at the top because I'm logged in. The others are actually in order.
    Screen_Shot_2017_03_17_at_12_20_22_AM.png

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Last edited:
    Back