• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Primal Reversion vs. Mega Evolution

pkmin3033

ORAS introduced the concept of Primal Reversion, an alternative to Mega Evolution for Legendary Pokemon. Thus far, this has been unique to Kyogre and Groudon.

So, for the mascot Legendaries - or other Legendaries which appear in the game - would you prefer to see them Prival Reverse, or Mega Evolve? Or would you like to see something entirely new...or just a forme change? Or nothing at all? We're almost guaranteed to get additional Mega evolutions. Do you want to see this other power-up method return?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
It's definitely a possibility. I've wondered if Primal Reversion would be a one-off thing, exclusive to OR/AS. But if there are going to be alternate/powered-up forms of the mascot legendaries (none of which we know to be the case yet), I'd rather see them do something new. Primal Reversion has always struck me as something unique to Groudon & Kyogre and the lore surrounding the 2 of them. Honestly, I think it'd be really cool if from now on, each new game introduced a new transformation method.

Sirfetch’d

It's definitely a possibility. I've wondered if Primal Reversion would be a one-off thing, exclusive to OR/AS. But if there are going to be alternate/powered-up forms of the mascot legendaries (none of which we know to be the case yet), I'd rather see them do something new. Primal Reversion has always struck me as something unique to Groudon & Kyogre and the lore surrounding the 2 of them. Honestly, I think it'd be really cool if from now on, each new game introduced a new transformation method.

I really hope they don't re-explore Primal Reversion either. It fit so well into the story of ORAS and should remain an exclusive for those games, IMO. I loved the concept but something fresh would be so much better. It would take away from the ORAS games if Primal Reversion was brought back in future games :(

Years
Like Chase said, I feel that Primal Reversion should remain an ORAS thing. It would be better to see something new explored with the new mascots.

Sirfetch’d

Like Chase said, I feel that Primal Reversion should remain an ORAS thing. It would be better to see something new explored with the new mascots.

I think it's entirely possible that they could have some sort of evolution based on the power of the sun/moon. We'll have to wait and see but there are a ton of cool possibilities.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think that Primal Reversion might play a role in the plot, not exactly more pokemon being able to do it, but the concept will be brought up. I feel like they should give a proper resolution to the mystery of Mega evolution...hmm, I wonder if GF will extend the mystery. It feels like a Z would've concluded it, but since it's not happening perhaps it was due to them not wanting to conclude it just yet.

pkmin3033

I think it's entirely possible that they could have some sort of evolution based on the power of the sun/moon. We'll have to wait and see but there are a ton of cool possibilities.
Like the Lunar Cycle, or something? That'd be pretty cool! The Sun/Moon theme makes me think they're going to utilise an eclipse somehow, so perhaps a form based on that?

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Sep 25, 2017
Primal Reversion?

I've been thinking that Sun and Moon will deal with Primal Reversion the same way X and Y dealt with Mega Evolution. Before I get into why I'm thinking that, let me make it clear what the difference is. If you already know the difference, feel free to skip the next two paragraphs.

Mega Evolution requires a mega stone and a key stone. Mega stones are created when the various evolution stones have become irradiated by the powers of legendary Pokemon. The only identified way that mega stones were created was through the power of Xerneas or Yveltal through the ultimate weapon. However, meteorites also contain mega stones on occasion, implying that Deoxys can create mega stones as well. The origins of key stones is unclear, but they somehow activate the powers within the mega stones. The only exception for this rule is Rayquaza, who ate his mega stone. Because sometimes you're hungry for radiated meteorites! Professor Sycamore theorizes that mega evolution is dependent on the bond between trainer and Pokemon. Since the wild Mewtwo cannot mega evolve until you capture it, that may very well be true.

Primal Reversion only requires the Pokemon in question to be holding the appropriate Colored Orb. A trainer is not required for Primal Reversion to take place, and the trainer cannot control it in the same way they control Mega Evolution. Also, the Colored Orbs are not radiated stones, but connected to nature and allow the Pokemon holding them to draw power from nature itself.

Now that the lesson for everyone that ignored the story of Pokemon is over, let's get to why I think Primal Reversion will be the thing of this generation.

1: Location
Whether the location is based on Hawaii, Indonesia, Central America, or someplace else; it is quite clear that we are dealing with a very "wild" region. The presence of so many vehicles, particularly a mobile Pokemon center, implies that it is sparsely populated. What's more, most of those vehicles are trucks, which are known for their excellent traction in the brush.

Also, the backpacker in X and Y that is from this region is a good hint. Of all the trainer classes in existence, they picked the backpacker to be our first impression of generation seven.

2: Sun and Moon
The second we heard those titles, we all thought about what sun and moon gods the mascot Pokemon would be based on. The name indicates that the forces of nature, particularly the Sun and Moon, will be key to the plot. This would fit quite well with Primal Reversion.

3: Affects on competitive game-play
Mega Evolution was introduced for two reasons: 1) power up certain Pokemon and 2) make team-building more straightforward for new comers. Primal Reversion would help more on both counts. You could give Primal forms to generally useless Pokemon (Farfetch'd comes to mind) and to power up some Pokemon that might go under-used because of Mega Evolution (such as Scyther). Of course, I believe Game Freak will find a way to limit us to one Primal Pokemon per team, possibly by giving us only one Colored Orb per game (a Yellow Orb and a Violet Orb perhaps) and make it impossible to trade away. So we'd be limited to our one Primal Pokemon per team, and new comers on the competitive scene would have two Pokemon to start with.

So what do all of you think? Am I just reading to much into it?

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
Personally id scrap any mention of primal reversion being different to mega evolution aside from the lack of needing the key stone, the ability to have 2 primals and one mega on a team is stupid and essentially its the same system so should follow the same rules.

Id honestly love the ability to temporariliy mega evolve pokemon though as it would make team dynamics a lot more complex, perhaps 3 'uses' per battle one level 3 use means 1 mega evolution for the entire duration of a battle (same as now), 1 level 2 means 1 pokemon mega evolved for 4 turns, 1 level 1 mean 1 pokemon mega evolved for 2 turns. so you could choose to mega evolve a few pokemon at different times in a battle but only one at a time still.

Back