• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Different Type Effectiveness in Hacks

Years
  • I'm in the middle of drafting a beta for a hack that I plan to make, and I'm wondering what people think of changing type effectiveness. Do you think that this is something that is sacred and shouldn't be modified, or do you like it when a hack changes your expectations of type effectiveness?

For context: I'm fiddling with adding one new type and making some minor changes to type effectiveness to circle around this new type. There won't be any significant changes (i.e. changing a super-effective matchup to not very effective/immune or vice versa) and I thought that it would be fun to give some existing Pokémon a better chance to shine in the limelight if they had a couple of things tweaked, such as the elemental types being immune to themselves (Grass, Water, Electric, Ice, Poison and Fire) and elsewhere mainly defensive buffs to existing types.

What's everybody's thoughts on making changes like this in a Pokémon hack?

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    Im ok with it aslong as its limited (not more than 10 changes- changing one type interaction counts as a change) and its mentioned ingame in an place where you are forced to go.

Years
  • I think it would be interesting, although you can never know how people would react to it on mass.
    I'm also going to be adding a new type to my rom hack, although there's only going to be one Pokémon who will use said type. And it may be uncatchable, haven't decided on that yet.
    I don't plan on messing with type matchups personally, but my vote would be to do it.
    It's your hack after all.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2021
    Depending on the version of the game it could do some major fixing. I'm doing a yellow rom, for exemple, winch the type effectiveness was psychic = immune to ghost, instead of weak. You could also 'fill blanks' like making some typings resistant to themselves, which wasnt made for all of them. Some types are super effective against another, but the otherway around is normaly effective. Because of that few cycles like the starter ones can be made, I guess they didn't had enough memory.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    I've done this in my hack to buff the ice type and the poison type.

There's a tool somewhere on this website that makes it extremely easy! Try searching "Type Effectiveness Editor".

Let me know if you can't find it and I'll post a link.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I know this is late, but I just want to recommend people not use type effectiveness editor, and use Hex maniac advance instead.
    You can change existing relations with TEE but it causes problems if you're trying to add new types.

I tried adding a type with that, and it made it impossible for the game to recognize properly or attach the type to icons.
    The only fix was using a clean rom.

Years
  • I'm down with it, much more than I am with added types

It should also be done in the name of balance and adding type diversity

Should be careful to not get too carried away with it, maybe keep it to less than 15% of your regional dex would be a good line to stay under

Most importantly make it well known on your hacks 'about this game page'

Same goes for type effectiveness. Make it known and have your custom chart on your roms page AND stated in game somewhere (a use for the trainer school xD)

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Like heavy nerf the fairy type and make poison super effective against more types. That's what I would do.

Snowka85

literally a ferret
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2023
    Like heavy nerf the fairy type

Fairy isn't even that strong tbh, it just hard counters Dragons and that's it. Fighting is already strong offensively so having something else to put it in check defensively is honestly quite valid.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Agreed, (sort of) plus with a little research you see most of the fairy type effectiveness makes sense based on lore. except for complete immunity to dragons. and resistance to fighting/physical damage.

For my stuff I just cut back the resistance for dragon types, and made them non-super to fighting. Since if any type has had it hard, its the fighting type.

Yeah they're strong but most are pretty fragile, and typically lack speed for bulk (higher attack) with is especially bad when you consider in post gen-4 practically every type has a counter for them. Nearly every pokemon could learn aerial ace or acrobatics.

Add on to that there's practically no type you can fuse fighting with (that it isn't already weak to), that would let it resist its weaknesses, without also giving it more weaknesses that it can't cover for. As well as they're lacking move diversity, few can take advantage of special moves, and fighting type just doesn't even have any multi-target moves.

You'd expect fighting types to be adept at managing the field but their move diversity is just very lacking.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    my personal hacks have an altered type chart. mainly for balance purposes, and also based on what i think makes sense. but its definately the biggest reason i havent shared any of them yet.
    tbh i dont mind playing a hack with an altered chart, but i do dislike fakemons

Back