• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] XSE, Text Limit, and how can I make it fit more text?

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    I know for sure that this XSE works, I've used it many times, and it's only because my text is long, if I do short texts, then it works just fine, but whenever I try to write more (which I need to in this situation), then when I click compile, it wouldn't compile, and just crash.

Try multiple msgbox commands in the same script? It looks exactly the same, you just need 2 pointers.

Ace Trainer Slash

If you give me about two hours, I can make scripts
    Years
  • Wait, it's actually crashing? I thought it just wasn't compiling.

The best advice I can give you is to redownload since you most likely have a corrupted download. HackRomTools has all the best stuff imo

I downloaded the XSE from HackRomTools, tested the script that I entered, and it still provided me with the same result, is there anything in particular wrong about my script?

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • Try multiple msgbox commands in the same script? It looks exactly the same, you just need 2 pointers.

The script I sent already had 2 pointers, one being 'take', and one being 'begone', I've tried everything, and I still don't know.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    The script I sent already had 2 pointers, one being 'take', and one being 'begone', I've tried everything, and I still don't know.

If you don't know what's causing a crash (because I have no clue just from reading your script) try removing some elements until it works. Also if the length of text is the problem split it up into even more msgboxes.

Some more things to consider:

Is there enough free space in your rom? I realize you are using #dynamic but it's still a good idea to check.

Does XSE spit any error on crash? Most hacking tools are written on a C++ .NET framework and will spit out exceptions.

Last edited:

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • If you don't know what's causing a crash (because I have no clue just from reading your script) try removing some elements until it works. Also if the length of text is the problem split it up into even more msgboxes.

Some more things to consider:

Is there enough free space in your rom? I realize you are using #dynamic but it's still a good idea to check.

Does XSE spit any error on crash? Most hacking tools are written on a C++ .NET framework and will spit out exceptions.

Ok, I'll try split it out into more msgboxes, I know there is plenty of free space in 800000, as I've used the offset only a few times. Secondly, there is no error on the crash, it would crash, and then just close itself.

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • It's still not working, I tried using like 4 msgboxes, plus the command that I forgot to add for after text after giving the item, and everything still crashes XSE.

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag 0x510
    if 0x1 goto @already
    msgbox @take 0x6
    msgbox @hi 0x6
    msgbox @test 0x6
    msgbox @begone 0x6
    giveitem 0x1 0x1B 0x0
    setflag 0x510
    release
    end

#org @already
    msgbox @igave 0x6
    release
    end

#org @take
    = Sunday Student: (Staring into nothing)\pOh, hi! That's right, I have to tell\nyou something umm… How about the\lcreation of Parramatta high, is that\lentertaining? Ok, it was founded in the\l1820's by Fr John Therry for more\l

#org @hi
    = \lopportunities of the children in the\larea of Parramatta, it was a boys\lschool.

#org @test
    = The school was made to reflect\lthe teachings of Marcellin Champagnat,\land aim to welcome children into the\lera of education, and love.\l

#org @begone
    = To fulfil the Catholic Church's \pmission, the\nschool would provide the love and\lobedience of Jesus to the students, the\ltrue love and compassion of Marcellin\lChampagnat, and Jesus Christ reformed\lthe children into Marist men, and has\ldone so for over 100 years.\l

#org @igave
    = Go now.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Ok, I'll try split it out into more msgboxes, I know there is plenty of free space in 800000, as I've used the offset only a few times. Secondly, there is no error on the crash, it would crash, and then just close itself.

Try this. (I also changed the flag because flags 500 - 700 are usually trainer flags and are not that safe to use.

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag 0x204
    if 0x1 goto @done
    msgbox @take1 0x6
    msgbox @talk2 0x6
    msgbox @talk3 0x6
    giveitem 0x1B 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN (check this again, item should be on first pointer, quantity on second)
    setflag 0x204
    release
    end

#org @done
    msgbox @talk4 0x6 (put in some text in case you talk to the guy again after he gives you the item)
    release
    end

#org @talk1
    = Sunday Student: (Staring into nothing)\pOh, hi! That's right, I have to tell\nyou something umm… How about the\lcreation of Parramatta high, is that\lentertaining?

#org @talk2
    = Ok, it was founded in the 1820's\nby Fr John Therry for more\lopportunities of the children in\lthe area of Parramatta, it was a\lboys' school. The school was made\lto reflect the teachings of\lMarcellin Champagnat, and aims to\lwelcome children into the era of\leducation, and love.

#org @talk3
    = To fulfil the Catholic Church's \pmission, the\nschool would provide the love and\lobedience of Jesus to the students, the\ltrue love and compassion of Marcellin\lChampagnat, and Jesus Christ reformed\lthe children into Marist men, and has\ldone so for over 100 years.\l

#org @talk4
    = mmmmmmmm

Last edited:

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • I've got it! This is as much script that XSE can take.

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag 0x510
    if 0x1 goto @already
    msgbox @take 0x6
    msgbox @hello 0x6
    giveitem 0x1 0x1B 0x0
    setflag 0x510
    release
    end

#org @already
    msgbox @igave 0x6
    release
    end

#org @take
    = Sunday Student: (Staring into\nnothing)\pOh, hi! Would you like to learn about\lthe\lcreation of Parramatta high?

#org @hello
    = The school \lwas made to reflect the values of\lMarcellin Champagnat. This school would\lfulfill the Australian Catholic\lChurch's mission by providing the love\land obedience of Jesus and Marcellin to the students.\lThis passion formed them into Marist men.

#org @igave
    = Go now.

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • Aha!!
    I've cracked it! I just needed to write a certain amount of text per line. This allowed me to add more script. Hence. This longer script works, as long as it's shorter than the longest sentence.

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag 0x510
    if 0x1 goto @already
    msgbox @take 0x6
    msgbox @hello 0x6
    msgbox @hi 0x6
    giveitem 0x1 0x1B 0x0
    setflag 0x510
    release
    end

#org @already
    msgbox @igave 0x6
    release
    end

#org @take
    = Sunday Student: (Staring into\nnothing)\pOh, hi! Would you like to learn about\lthe\lcreation of Parramatta high?

#org @hello
    = The school \lwas made to reflect the values of\lMarcellin Champagnat. This school would\lfulfill the Australian Catholic\lChurch's mission by providing the love\land obedience of Jesus and Marcellin to the students.\lThis passion formed them into Marist men.

#org @hi
    = dduebfub.wmfbv3rgugb3ri3b\lgibgegibibgiengiebgjebge\ljgbjgb4kb3gjb4giebguigiwrbgwgibrg\li3b5g3igb3igbg53igbigni3\lgn3ign. kadbfwubrfurfb2gbiqeniinrgi3nffib3vin34in f rfjifiwfb

#org @igave
    = Go now.

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • I thank everyone for their help! I will mention the assistance you provided me in the credits of it! :)

Back