• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] XSE, Text Limit, and how can I make it fit more text?

Ace Trainer Slash

If you give me about two hours, I can make scripts
    Years
    Hi!

I was making a long NPC script, and I attempted to make the text adjuster text longer than 40, but I'm not sure if that works, or is even possible, as this script is actually quite large, I'm not necessarily sure how I can make the text space longer in order to add more text. Any help is appreciated. :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2022
    I'm not sure this is a good idea, so maybe don't trust me, but what I do, for like every important NPC too, because I like to give my important NPCs and events loads and loads of text, is just have several msgboxs in a row. When I run out of text in the little box thingy, I just paste in what I have, and continue where I left off in a new msgbox at a new pointer.

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
    I'm not sure this is a good idea, so maybe don't trust me, but what I do, for like every important NPC too, because I like to give my important NPCs and events loads and loads of text, is just have several msgboxs in a row. When I run out of text in the little box thingy, I just paste in what I have, and continue where I left off in a new msgbox at a new pointer.

Ok, I'll give multiple text boxes a go, and see my result. Thankyou :D

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
    I used a second message box, but it would still crash from a text limit, it is a normal script for person events, but has a second msgbox, and still gives me the same error.

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
    Yup new line and split it up into multiple text boxes. Should be no issue. I did an NPC which had over 15 msgbox commands and all good.

Sorry for the late reply, but at the moment, this doesn't work, I tried more than one message box, and that didn't seem to work. Here is the script that I used. (Ignore the genre of it, it is for an assignment I'm doing.)

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
    lock
    faceplayer
    msgbox @hello 0x6
    release
    end

#org @hello
    = Church Goer: Welcome to the church,\nI\nwill be your guide! In this\nChurch,\pthere are a few notable faces,\nand\peveryday-goers to the Church,\nyour\pmission is to obtain all 8 pieces\nof\pKnowledge from this holy place,\nand\pshow the knowledge to the person\nin \pthe\nfront of the Church for a\nspecial\nreward. \pYour real task however is\nto\neducate\pyourself on the\nMarist\pBrothers, \nPope John Paul II,\nand\phow they\nfulfilled the Catholic\nChurch?s\pmission! Good luck!\n

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2023
    \p is better than \l

They do very different things. For a long talking script like this /p after every /n will look very jarring. Also the reason he?s having issues is because he?s using multiple /ns without a p separating. He clearly wants this to be a continued message and only /l can be used successively after /n. You can have /p,/n,/l,/l,/l but you cannot have /p,/n,/p,/n/p without it looking really weird.

Last edited:

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
    They do very different things. For a long talking script like this /p after every /n will look very jarring. Also the reason he?s having issues is because he?s using multiple /ns without a p separating. He clearly wants this to be a continued message and only /l can be used successively after /n. You can have /p,/n,/l,/l,/l but you cannot have /p,/n,/p,/n/p without it looking really weird.

I tried another script, it still crashes XSE.

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag 0x510
    msgbox @take 0x6
    giveitem 0x1 0x1B 0x0
    setflag 0x510
    release
    end

#org @take
    = Sunday Student: (Staring into nothing)\pOh, hi! That?s right, I have to tell\nyou something umm? How about the\lcreation of Parramatta high, is that\lentertaining? Ok, it was founded in the\l1820?s by Fr John Therry for more\lopportunities of the children in the\larea of Parramatta, it was a boys\lschool. The school was made to reflect\lthe teachings of Marcellin Champagnat,\land aim to welcome children into the\lera of education, and love. To fulfil\lthe Catholic Church?s mission, the\lschool would provide the love and\lobedience of Jesus to the students, the\ltrue love and compassion of Marcellin\lChampagnat, and Jesus Christ reformed\lthe children into Marist men, and has\ldone so for over 100 years.\l

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    \p is better than \l

They both have different functions. \p pretty much forces an "A" press by the user before continuing to what appears to be a seperate msgbox but actually isn't. \l scrolls away the top line and keeps typing, without completely clearing the box or requiring a key press.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    They both have different functions. \p pretty much forces an "A" press by the user before continuing to what appears to be a seperate msgbox but actually isn't. \l scrolls away the top line and keeps typing, without completely clearing the box or requiring a key press.

ah ok

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
    I really need to know the issue to this problem, as this is for an assignment of mine, I decided to make a ROM Hack, however, this issue occurred, I finished everything else for this assignment, and this is all I need to do, insert the scripts into the game, this due tomorrow, and I'm kinda stressed to whether someone can help me fix this on time. Any sort of help is very greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
    I've tried everything now, I've separated text boxes, I've used \p, \n, and \l correctly, I've any sort of command properly, and STILL XSE is crashing on me whenever I decide to Compile, I'm not sure what to do anymore. This is the script I used. If I compile it in a ROM, or Batch Compile it, XSE would crash, and close itself, I honestly don't know what's the issue.

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag 0x510
    msgbox @take 0x6
    msgbox @begone 0x6
    giveitem 0x1 0x1B 0x0
    setflag 0x510
    release
    end

#org @take
    = Sunday Student: (Staring into nothing)\pOh, hi! That's right, I have to tell\nyou something umm… How about the\lcreation of Parramatta high, is that\lentertaining? Ok, it was founded in the\l1820's by Fr John Therry for more\lopportunities of the children in the\larea of Parramatta, it was a boys\lschool. The school was made to reflect\lthe teachings of Marcellin Champagnat,\land aim to welcome children into the\lera of education, and love.\l

#org @begone
    = To fulfil the Catholic Church's \pmission, the\nschool would provide the love and\lobedience of Jesus to the students, the\ltrue love and compassion of Marcellin\lChampagnat, and Jesus Christ reformed\lthe children into Marist men, and has\ldone so for over 100 years.\l

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    STILL XSE is crashing on me whenever I decide to Compile

Wait, it's actually crashing? I thought it just wasn't compiling.

The best advice I can give you is to redownload since you most likely have a corrupted download. HackRomTools has all the best stuff imo

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
    Wait, it's actually crashing? I thought it just wasn't compiling.

The best advice I can give you is to redownload since you most likely have a corrupted download. HackRomTools has all the best stuff imo

I know for sure that this XSE works, I've used it many times, and it's only because my text is long, if I do short texts, then it works just fine, but whenever I try to write more (which I need to in this situation), then when I click compile, it wouldn't compile, and just crash.

Back