• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] How do I get started?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I love Pokemon Rom Hacks and they're fun to pla and i would love to design one, one day... I'm still pretty young and in high school. And Honestly i've tried using the Rom Editor Apps and they're fun to use but i honestly dont know much about it or anyhting like that like I'm practically a newie to the topic of Rom Hacking and stuff like that, And I want to learn. But for the most part making a game from scratch without using a ROM engine like a Pokemon Uranium, or Pokemon Reborn. It would be a lot of work too and i've put that in consideration. I just really want some tips or maybe people to talk to about these things. I would love to be some type of storyboard designer for the game but i have many more concepts and ideas in my head and i wish i could just express them easily into one game!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Franzo

Developing something...
Years
  • Age 28
  • ???
  • Seen Nov 6, 2023
Okay, one thing first Uranium and Reborn are not ROM hacks. They were made in RPG Maker XP using Pokémon Essentials and are fan games.

If you want to try making your own game without using the ROM hacking tools you mentioned you'll need to download RPG Maker XP (and buy it as there is only a 30 day free trial) and download the Pokémon Essentials Starter Kit. RPG Maker XP is a lot easier to get to grips with than ROM Hacks. Atomic Reactor has a good set of videos on how to get started HERE.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Okay, one thing first Uranium and Reborn are not ROM hacks. They were made in RPG Maker XP using Pokémon Essentials and are fan games.

If you want to try making your own game without using the ROM hacking tools you mentioned you'll need to download RPG Maker XP (and buy it as there is only a 30 day free trial) and download the Pokémon Essentials Starter Kit. RPG Maker XP is a lot easier to get to grips with than ROM Hacks. Atomic Reactor has a good set of videos on how to get started HERE.

Very correct, this guy. But if you want to get to coding your own stuff (which I personally highly recommend, because it's (in my opinion) fun and makes your game more unique, most of the time), I would recommend watching some Ruby (programming language) tutorials. If you've never coded before, you may want to look at some more basic programming stuff that are not necessarily directed towards one language. Some examples of language-wide topics are classes, strings, and integers. I'm pretty sure every single language has these under the same name. One big difference between languages is their syntax (how things are written). Ruby is fairly basic and easy to understand in that regard.

Years
It's a common mistake to call uranium and newborn rom hacks. I am still new but I found this out while searching on youtube for the best pokemon games to play. So don't worry your not alone lol. I've hacked fire emblem roms but never a pokemon game. I don't want to hack a rom from pokemon seems to complicated. I'm currently trying out RPG maker XP and starting a pokemon game. I highly suggest using rpg maker xp it's easy and fun. You get to be more creative and original to. Plus you already like games made from it so hurray for you. I don't know so much about it yet but I do have a set of videos made by a youtuber that explains in detail and has good qaulity on how to make one. I will give you the link. I hope I helped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlnzaEhH5cI&list=PLuIp7Uf7pllmpcFOHbj4r8cVQYywpRZB5

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2023
The kit for RPG Maker XP is called pokemon Essentials. you can download a demo, which comes with every system a pokemon game needs, many maps for FireRed, all pokemon sprites, etc . the demo shows examples on common topics, like giving the player a pokedex, editing the starters, wild pokemon, etc. and there are many videos and tutorials. it does take time to make a game, but it really depends what you plan to do. if you only add some plot, a new rival and some maps it shouldn't take long.

Back