• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New allrouder team

pokemanman

Expert Trainer
Years
  • I've been playing pokemon for a while now and only recently started online battling, realizing how much I s**k. So I'm looking to make a team from scratch for competitive battling. I have almost every game 3rd gen onwards, so getting pokemon is no problem. The only problem is that I don't know which pokemon to choose, what natures, stats to train, etc.. I've read up on IVs and EVs, so I know what they are and how to increase them. Can you guy suggest teams for single, doubles, triples, rotations or all-in-one? I don't get much time to play games, about 1~2 hours, 3 tops.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    It would be nice to have something to go on. What playstyle do you prefer (offense, bulky offense, balance, semi-stall, stall)? Do you have any interest in a particular Pokemon, or would you rather use the absolute best Pokemon available?

pokemanman

Expert Trainer
    Years
  • I want to aviod legendarys. I think I'd go with either offense or bulky offense. What's the difference?

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • I want to aviod legendarys. I think I'd go with either offense or bulky offense. What's the difference?

In two nutshells, Offense is generally focused on Speed and the attack stats to score some quick KO's and to hit hard. Bulky offense is almost the same except it generally uses bulkier pokemon with good defenses/defensive typing who also have the capacity to hit hard as well.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • Before deciding on items, you need to decide on which Pokemon you are going to use, as this will determine what items you would likely use.

So, with that said what pokemon do you like? or what types do you like? Do you want to stick within a specific tier?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's difficult to help you with teambuilding when we have little to go off of. It helps if you at least name some specific Pokemon. We could go from there. Not only that, but its YOUR team, not ours. I could just say "use these 6 pokes like this", but where's the fun in that?

For the sake of this thread and your team, I'll start by offering up one Pokemon for your team:

-Rotom Wash w/Chesto Berry
    Nature: Bold
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP, 248 Defense, 8 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt/Volt Switch, Will-oWisp, Rest

Everyone's favorite household appliance. Yeah, everybody and their mom's mon uses it, but whatever. It fits the bulky offense theme you're going for, and it wrecks Talonflame (who is everywhere these days).

You cool with that?

pokemanman

Expert Trainer
    Years
  • Hmm, how about Golurk, Snorlax, Mandibuzz, Blastoise, Lapras, Mega Blaziken? Rotom is cool with me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Now we can do some work.

Let's start with Snorlax. Snorlax makes for a good Assault Vest user:

-Snorlax w/Assault Vest
    Nature: Adamant/Careful
    Ability: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 HP, 40 Defense, 212 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Body Slam/Return, Earthquake, Wild Charge, Crunch/Pursuit

Something like that should work.

Mandibuzz is pretty good this gen:

-Mandibuzz w/Leftovers:
    Ability: Overcoat
    EVs: 248 HP, 208 Defense, 52 Speed
    Moves: Foul Play, Toxic/Whirlwind, Roost, Taunt

or

-Mandibuzz w/Leftovers
    Ability: Overcoat
    EVs: 252 HP, 248 Defense, 8 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Roost, Foul Play, Taunt, Defog

You're also gonna have to pick between the 3 Water types on your list. There's little need to have more than 1 or 2 water type on a team. Rotom does have alternate forms with different typing, btw. So which water poke do you wanna go with?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Lapras, 'cause it's ice type would be good against dragons.
    Lapras and other Water/Ice Pokemon are terrible for bulky offensive roles because of their common weaknesses to Grass, Electric, Rock and Fighting. Nearly every Water Pokemon learns Ice Beam, so there's no need for the secondary Ice type to hinder its defensive capabilities. Other bulky Water Pokemon to use are Vaporeon, Jellicent, Clawitzer, Tentacruel, Mega Blastoise, (Mega) Gyarados, Gastrodon and Azumarill:

Vaporeon:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam/Roar/Toxic
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb

Jellicent:
    -Scald/Shadow Ball/Night Shade
    -Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
    -Recover
    -Taunt

or
    -Scald
    -Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Recover
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/36 Def/224 SDef

or
    -Water Spout
    -Hydro Pump/Surf/Scald
    -Shadow Ball
    -Ice Beam/Giga Drain
    Nature: Modets
    EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/84 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs

Clawitzer:
    -Water Pulse
    -Aura Sphere
    -Ice Beam/Dragon Pulse
    -Dark Pulse/U-turn
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 164 HP/252 SAtk/92 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs

Tentacruel:
    -Scald
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Rapid Spin
    -Toxic/Knock Off
    EVs: 252 HP/224 Def/32 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Liquid Ooze

Mega Blastoise:
    -Water Pulse/Scald
    -Dark Pulse
    -Aura Sphere/Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Blastoisinite

Gyarados:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake
    -Bite/Stone Edge/Substitute
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 32 HP/252 Atk/224 Spe
    Item: Gyaradosite
    Ability: Intimidate

or
    -Substitute/Taunt
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Bounce/Earthquake
    EVs: 120 HP/64 Atk/100 Def/224 Spe

or
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Waterfall
    -Roar/Dragon Tail
    Nature: Impish

Gastrodon
    -Scald
    -Earthquake/Earth Power
    -Ice Beam/Toxic
    -Recover
    Nature: Relaxed/Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Ability: Storm Drain

Azumarill:
    -Waterfall
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Superpower
    EVs: 212 HP/252 Atk/44 Spe
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Huge Power

or
    -Belly Drum
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Waterfall/Superpower
    EVs: 92 HP/252 Atk/164 Spe
    Item: Sitrus Berry

or
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Power-Up Punch
    -Waterfall/Knock Off
    EVs: 16 HP/252 Atk/240 SDef
    Item: Assault Vest

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • What team you build is also dependent on what tier or format you choose to battle in. The 'mon you picked are all over the place in tiers. For singles, I believe Mega Blaziken is banned to Ubers. Mandibuzz and Golurk I believe still reside in NU. The others, I haven't the vaguest idea but I think they're scattered between the middle tiers. (Okay, I don't know any of them but point still stands.)

When it comes to doubles, especially VGC doubles, the general idea is to forget everything you've learned from Smogon singles. The strategy, team building, everything is pretty different.

Since you said you have only a few hours to play, I highly suggest you sit down and take some serious thought about what format you would like to focus on. Spreading what little time you have across anything and everything is inefficient and it's easy to get overwhelmed.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What team you build is also dependent on what tier or format you choose to battle in. The 'mon you picked are all over the place in tiers. For singles, I believe Mega Blaziken is banned to Ubers. Mandibuzz and Golurk I believe still reside in NU. The others, I haven't the vaguest idea but I think they're scattered between the middle tiers. (Okay, I don't know any of them but point still stands.)

When it comes to doubles, especially VGC doubles, the general idea is to forget everything you've learned from Smogon singles. The strategy, team building, everything is pretty different.

Since you said you have only a few hours to play, I highly suggest you sit down and take some serious thought about what format you would like to focus on. Spreading what little time you have across anything and everything is inefficient and it's easy to get overwhelmed.

Mandibuzz became one of the most used Pokemon in X/Y, so it's a valid option. The same can't be said for Golurk.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • The point still stands. Playing around with a mixed team like that, it's difficult for a new battler to stand a chance in Ubers, which is where he'd be relegated to thanks to Mega Blaziken. Unless Blaziken got dropped to OU... which will still be troublesome.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Are you playing in-game WiFi, or Pokemon Showdown?

IV breeding is time consuming, not as much as previous gens, but still it took me 10 hours to get a perfect Mandibuzz. IVs aren't as important as Strategy and Knowing the Meta Game. Ignore IVs for the moment.

If you play Showdown, on a computer, you can just plug in the numbers and fight. You can learn and experiment much faster there. only down side the graphics are dated.

pokemanman

Expert Trainer
    Years
  • In game Wi-Fi battles in battlespot. And how do you get a Vollaby in the first place? Other than friend safari, of course

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Only way to get a Vullaby is via a Friend Safari. Or you could go to the Trade Plaza here and ask for one in the X/Y Quick Trade thread.

EDIT: ah, ninja'd.

Back