• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Another fun error that I need help with

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I like the sound of having limited TM's though, reducing the power if the TM was taught, as opposed to naturally learning it, that's a good idea, TMPower-25% might be a good equasion to use, so the more powerful the move, the weaker it becomes, in sense that a 40 attack would become 30 and a 120 attack would become 90, still pretty powerful, but less than if they were attacked by someone with the exact same move... Hmm I like that... This I may work on soon enough, maybe for a new update of my game... Or for the next region.
    I've played with this myself. One choice I made was that, if the Pokémon tries to learn a move naturally but already knows it via TM (i.e. a weaker version), it would "learn how to use it better" and it becomes a naturally-learnt move at full power. Also, you'll need to do some fiddling to make the reduced powers be displayed properly wherever they need to.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Yeah I figured I'd have to do all kinds of checks to see if the Pokémon has the move and is TM learned and if the power is true.

Although instead of messing with the scripts, couldn't it be a little easier if say I created TM's of the same move's, for example:

In moves.txt
    468,THUNDERBOLT2,Thunderbolt,06,75,ELECTRIC,Special,100,15,10,00,0,be,Cool,A strong electric blast is loosed at the foe. It may also leave the foe paralyzed.

In tm.txt
    [THUNDERBOLT2]
    RATTATA,RATICATE,PIKACHU,RAICHU...

And then, make a check to see if the newer moved learned is THUNDERBOLT and hasmove THUNDERBOLT2, and replace the second Thunderbolt with the original and instead of seeing a message, "Has forgotten Thunderbolt and has learned Thunderbolt." it could say "Has learned how to use Thunderbolt a little better."

In theory, this could also make for having upgrades, and have moves start at a low power... But having to upgrade or learn how to "use the move better", is an essential during the game! Like creating 2 or 3 types of the same attack:

469,THUNDERBOLT3,Thunderbolt,06,85,ELECTRIC,Special,100,15,10,00,0,be,Cool,A strong electric blast is loosed at the foe. It may also leave the foe paralyzed.

Could this work? It looks plausable, but seems messy, and this could also be easier for "beginners" to do things without messing with scripts, right?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It's possible to replace one move with another like that. It would still involve editing scripts to make it replace the appropriate move with the correct "upgrade", and to make sure a Pokémon can't know both moves at once. It's more fiddly than you'd think.

My method was to define a boolean for every move, in the same way as every move has a ppup value, and define what happened if the boolean was true. It doesn't allow for as much variety in the move versions, but it does fully automate the process.

I don't think one method is inherently better than the other. It all depends on what level of move customisation you want.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Yeah yeah, I know, just saying it's a good possibility... Scripting for exchanging moves would be a lot easier than your way, but it would appear your way makes more sence, so I guess you're right, neither way is wrong, just depends how one would go about it.

Back