• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

dial up or highspeed internet?

Years
  • Broadband generally offers speeds higher than 50kbps, which is an average for any dial-up connection, I had a lot of trouble loading many pages when I had dial-up around...six years ago.

Now I have broadband that offers up to 20Mb, though I'll soon be converting to a connection that offers up to 24Mb.

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • I have dial-up. I've tried eight types of different broadband packages and not a single one would work at my house. I live in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by fields and massive hills that block every type of satellite. D:

Thunderwolf1989

Ninetales fan! Ground trainer
    Years
  • ADSL, for now.. downspeed is limited at 1,5Mb/s -> means ~180KB/s max (if noone else is on the internet)... Upspeed is at only 384Kb/s -> 48KB/s...

Hoping to get 20Mb/3Mb soon.

Years
    • Seen today
    Despite being a poll, this thread seems more appropriate in the Computers & Technology forum considering the topic. Other Voting Polls is a forum for polls that don't fit in any other forum in the community.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    ADSL2+ Unlimited on a 24Mbit potential. Sync @ 22Mbit, regularly pull 2MB/s from good sources. It's a good time to be alive ♥

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Verizon markets it as "high-speed," but in reality I find myself lusting after faster connections. My current speed is approximately 1 Mbps downstream, 384 Kbps upstream, though it frequently doesn't go faster than 200 Kbps downstream.

Years
    • Seen today
    Verizon markets it as "high-speed," but in reality I find myself lusting after faster connections. My current speed is approximately 1 Mbps downstream, 384 Kbps upstream, though it frequently doesn't go faster than 200 Kbps downstream.
    I agree completely. I went from a high speed Comcast connection to a Verizon broadband high speed connection. Granted Comcast was through cable and not through broadband, I find that Verizon is falsely marketing it's services a great deal considering they state that their broadband connection is the fastest around as well, but it takes so long whenever I'm looking to get important things done and out of the way.

Maybe I'm being biased. I never really liked Verizon; no offense to anyone who does. Their services have been very poor in my experience with them compared to other companies; like AT&T and Comcast. I guess there's a reason they offer their services at such a cheap price.

Sobriquet

Show me the way...
    Years
  • I run highspeed but I do remember having dial-up. Fortunately nobody in our house was very social so it was never an issue to cut off the phone line.

Eevee_girl

Ich weiss nicht.
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 18, 2022
    I have DSL. I wouldn't call that high speed really, but it's better than dial up. I used to have dial up up until 2008. I had had it for 5 solid years before that... so, I'm happy with DSL. Some day, it would be nice to have cable.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I have free dial-up access, but obviously I rarely use it. However, there are times when my ISP decides I need to be without internet just before a project deadline or something, and the dial-up comes in handy.

Dial-up is much better when you browse with images disabled. It'd be nice if the imglikeopera Firefox extension got updated, it's extremely useful on dial-up connections.

LunarAssassin

Miya3q
    Years
  • we've had dial up for as long as i could remember.. my mother always said that it costed too much or some garbage like that to get high speed. though recently i've been paying for the internet, so because of that i just got highspeed. it makes me a bit upset when she uses the wireless highspeed though instead of her dial up internet, makes me lag in my games lol!! though not too long ago she realised that it wasnt fair to be using something i paid for alone so now she helps me out by paying half.

I tell you, it is nice not having to hear that stupid annoying connection sound and waiting forever just for site to load. i know how people feel when they have dial up.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
  • I went from Dial up to DSL to Cox High speed.
    My computer is way old, has small RAM and HD, so it really isn't all fast.

The download speeds I get are great, though it doesn't matter; my computer is so bad, it resets while watching youtube videos.
    I'm lucky if I can make it through a whole 5 minute video without my computer resetting itself.

Back