• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen quick newb question, havent played since red/blue

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2015
    So i was playing today and early on in route 102? i raltis popped up on my dexnav with a blinking scope, i snuck up on it and it was lvl 15, but it fled before i could do anything to it, now is that a rare ralts that just spawns? or is it the same as selecting it in my dexnav, and having it search for a ralts, because the ones i have done and encountered werent lvl 15, they were lvl 2-5

Come to think of it i dont think i even had to sneak up on it, i think it engaged me i cant remember, i just remember my dexnav going off in this certain way, because on my other save before i swapped to sapphire i made it through 7 gyms, without something like this happening, so im curious as to what it was, and im also curious as to what using the dexnav does for me, does catching pokemon this way just give you a different move set/ mood or whatever?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2015
    Ok thank you, also i was on route and i was checking my dexnav and normally when you're missing a pokemon so far in my experience its shadow is there just not filled in, well i checked my dexnav and noticed there were no shadows that i missed yet there were still pokemon around i didnt catch because i didnt get the crown or w/e that is at the top, so whats up with that?

Years
  • The crown is an indicator if you have caught all the Pokemon encountered on a specific area of the route, whether it'd be on land, surfing or fishing. Catching all Pokemon found in one of the three methods earns the bronze crown, completing two of the three earns a silver crown and then gold for obtaining all the Pokemon from the three methods. After the National Pokedex is obtained (you need to encounter Groudon/Kyogre first), there will be non-Hoenn Dex Pokemon that appear in some routes (usually DexNav only encounters) and if you catch all those Pokemon you'll earn the platinum crown.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2015
    The crown is an indicator if you have caught all the Pokemon encountered on a specific area of the route, whether it'd be on land, surfing or fishing. Catching all Pokemon found in one of the three methods earns the bronze crown, completing two of the three earns a silver crown and then gold for obtaining all the Pokemon from the three methods. After the National Pokedex is obtained (you need to encounter Groudon/Kyogre first), there will be non-Hoenn Dex Pokemon that appear in some routes (usually DexNav only encounters) and if you catch all those Pokemon you'll earn the platinum crown.

How come in certain areas it dosent show the outline/shadow of the pokemon your missing?

Like petalsburg shows i have 4 or 5 pokemon, yet im not done but it dosent show me where the rest are/would be outside of grass

like for this picture what does it mean when it says dexnav?

//imgur.com/GHS70ub

Last edited:
    Years
  • That pic is from pokemondb.net which I don't really recommend as it's not accurate enough. Sites like Bulbapedia and Serebii are more accurate so I recommend looking there instead.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    like for this picture what does it mean when it says dexnav?

//imgur.com/GHS70ub

It means those Pokemon can only be found with the dexnav, via the shadows in the grass/water, and cannot be found in the grass by normal encounters.
    They can also only be found after you get the National Dex, which you can receive from the professor after you get your 8th badge.

And like Hikamaru said, it would be better to use Bulbapedia and/or Serebii for more accurate and detailed information.

Years
  • Correction: the National Dex is obtained specifically after the encounter against Primal Groudon or Kyogre. After defeating or catching it, you'll be given the National Dex when you return to Birch's Lab.

Years
  • How come in certain areas it dosent show the outline/shadow of the pokemon your missing?

Like petalsburg shows i have 4 or 5 pokemon, yet im not done but it dosent show me where the rest are/would be outside of grass

It doesn't show them because you haven't encountered the Pokemon yet. The DexNav won't show anything that you have yet to encounter in-game.

Back