• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Years
@Oshwatt I want to know that too, but that probably is not how it works.

BTW does anyone know if it will be a higher chance of shiny if the ditto or the regular pkmn is foreign? Cause I got a foreign houndour with a local ditto, but I just got a foreign ditto so I want to know if it raises the chances or not.

Hinokage

Ghost Pokemon Trainer
Years
Flame Body/Magma Armor abilities do not stack effects outside of battle like that for hatching eggs. Though I wish it did.

Tititienne

Psychic
Years
if i have 2 fletchinders with flame body will that speed it up quicker than one flethcinder? lol thats a stupid question but i wanna know lol

No, Flame Body and Magma Armor don't stack.

@Oshwatt I want to know that too, but that probably is not how it works.

BTW does anyone know if it will be a higher chance of shiny if the ditto or the regular pkmn is foreign? Cause I got a foreign houndour with a local ditto, but I just got a foreign ditto so I want to know if it raises the chances or not.

It doesn't matter. As long as you have two Pokémon with different home locations, you have increased chances to get a shiny (about 1/1365 in generation V, I don't know if it was boosted in generation VI).

Universal

Musician
Years
if i have 2 fletchinders with flame body will that speed it up quicker than one flethcinder? lol thats a stupid question but i wanna know lol

You're better off combing Flame Body and the Egg Hatch O-Power, they stack and it's really noticeable.

Quick tip for you guys, get two of the same species pokemon with two different language, more eggs would be produced.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
Sigh. I'm beginning to wonder if ditto counts as an MM reliable pokemon? I'm just nervous I'm doing something wrong with having a JPN ditto and american ralts... It feels like a JPN ralts and American ralts might have better results but I don't know :( i hatched 100+ pumpkaboo eggs and took a break for ralts... I've filled up 5 and a half boxes, nothing yet. I know it takes a lot of eggs sometimes but I'm feeling so discouraged :(

Years
After 300 eggs... I realized I had been doing it wrong... There was no little sign on the top that said JPN or SPA or some other region, even though I got it from a friend in the UK. *facepalm* Let's start again, shiny Goomy. *shakes fist angrily at self*

Universal

Musician
Years
Sigh. I'm beginning to wonder if ditto counts as an MM reliable pokemon? I'm just nervous I'm doing something wrong with having a JPN ditto and american ralts... It feels like a JPN ralts and American ralts might have better results but I don't know :( i hatched 100+ pumpkaboo eggs and took a break for ralts... I've filled up 5 and a half boxes, nothing yet. I know it takes a lot of eggs sometimes but I'm feeling so discouraged :(

A lot of people have went through that feel, it just takes a lot of dedication!
And it JPN Ditto should work, I did it with my Froakie with success.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Been through almost 100 Espurr eggs. I know it's not as many as some of you, but I feel like I'm going to run out of boxes eventually (especially since I'm going for Bergmite and Helioptile next), and since I have no internet connection for my ds, I'm going to have to end up releasing them instead of Wonder Trading them. :/

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
I'm currently going for a shiny Dedenne (Going for starters later on). Currently at 25 eggs.

Just a note for anyone wanting foreign Pokemon - Deposit a Pokemon on the GTS, and ask for the Pokemon you want. BUT, in the message thing, ask for it to be Japanese. Doesn't guarantee anything, but it can help. Also, when searching, you can filter out same-region Pokemon by clicking the magnifying glass, then selecting region, and going "Different Region than mine", or whatever it is

Hinokage

Ghost Pokemon Trainer
Years
Been through almost 100 Espurr eggs. I know it's not as many as some of you, but I feel like I'm going to run out of boxes eventually (especially since I'm going for Bergmite and Helioptile next), and since I have no internet connection for my ds, I'm going to have to end up releasing them instead of Wonder Trading them. :/

The PC actually creates more boxes as you get more Pokemon, so no need to worry about running out I don't think.

Reactions: Sun

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
The PC actually creates more boxes as you get more Pokemon, so no need to worry about running out I don't think.

Well I'm already on 8/15, and if there are no more than that, then it's looking grim. But then again, it doesn't make sense to only have accommodations for 450 Pokemon.

Hinokage

Ghost Pokemon Trainer
Years
Well I'm already on 8/15, and if there are no more than that, then it's looking grim. But then again, it doesn't make sense to only have accommodations for 450 Pokemon.

No worries, no worries. I'm on Duskull #420 and the PC just created box #32 for me. xD

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Oh man haha, that's good stuff right there. I assumed Bank or some external device would hold the majority of your Pokemon, but if you go through 900+ Pokemon, well then you're still apparently covered.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
A lot of people have went through that feel, it just takes a lot of dedication!
And it JPN Ditto should work, I did it with my Froakie with success.

Thanks, that actually helps knowing you succeeded with you JPN ditto! I shut it down for the night at 170+ eggs. Hopefully tomorrow Ralts will finally shine!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Oct 22, 2013
I broke 300 charmander eggs last night. Still nothing, but at least now I have a box full of female charmanders which are good for trading, and well over 200 males to give away on wonder trade! Hopefully I can make someone happy with one!

Years
What strategies do you guys use for hatching eggs? I use Flame Body and bike from route 7 back and forth. Any other easy ways?

Just found out how to get the hatching O-power but I don't have all the other ones yet so I cant get it.

Last edited:

HUF_DBC

I was breeding Vulpix's for a male and on the third egg I got a shiny, kind of bitter sweet because it was a female :/

Saronai

PKMN Breeder
Years
I agree with another comment in here. The purpose for the Masuda Method was encouraging people to trade around the world over the wifi. For that reason, I doubt it was removed.

My question now though is all this talk about a raised shiny encounter rate in this version. How does that compare to shiny breeding so far? It seems far more people are encountering than successfully breeding shinies...

I've only ever gotten one true shiny...back in Emerald (Beautifly...well, technically it started out as a shiny silcoon). I've been trying to work though the games in order (I'm only on Pearl now, with the others already started but on hold), but X has currently tanked that plan for the time being. There's just so much to do that's more addicting than Pearl!

I've noticed breeding is something I often stop and do a whole lot of (heck, I don't officially start my games until I have a boy and girl of each starter-using resets and trades with my son, who holds them for me in exchange for a few of the eggs).

Back on topic: If the Masuda Method does work...do you think it's holding its own against shiny encounters so far? There's that whole increased the odds rumor (by as much as 1/1000?!)

Great tips in here though with the fletchling (I didn't even think about my evolved fletchling having flame body already :D ). As to trading for a foreign ditto, my son caught me a bunch of ditto and I deposited one last night on the GTS. I left a note "diff region plz" but just asked for any ditto. I woke up this morning with a nice JPN ditto :)

So, if you've the patience and can't find someone offering a ditto for your ditto, just be one of those from your country offering a ditto for a ditto. You might have to deposit the ditto you get again, but eventually you'll get someone from another region trading you.

Also, I believe, so long as you have that little black box with white writing that specifies a different realm at the top of the summary (on the top screen right above the Dex No. - above all the alternating brown lines). If it's not from another region (and thus not part of the Masuda method for you), there'll just be a blank space above the Dex No.

It can be tricky, so I just make sure I see that box and an obviously foreign language name (such as Japanese). Gotta be careful though. Somehow my husband ended up with a pokemon that had a Japanese name but it was missing the little sign that claims it as from another region (I can only assume that is because someone from our region started the game in that language).

When looking at the 1-screen top summary, the different region sign will be on the very top line in this order: Pokeball icon, pokemon name, a tab-space, Lv.49 (or whatever level it is), space, the little black box with parallel-slanted sides. If it's from your region, that line will end with the level.

Last edited:
Years
Does anyone know if the Masuda Method works with two foreign pokemon rather than one local and one foreign?
I understand 2 JPN pkmn would negate this method, but what about 1 JPN and 1 German or other foreign pokemon.

If it does work this way, would it have higher rates? I think I will hatch my 3rd box of Houndours and if I still don't get a shiny I might take a break until I find more info out. ESPECIALLY if wild pkmn or safari pkmn have higher rates than breeding.

Back