• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasmania12

Mewtwo Master
Years
I cant find an answer to my problem. I have tried (and succeeded) making new evolution methods, and a pokemon using many methods to evolve into certain legendaries. In the pokemons data I wrote:

Evolutions=DEOXYS,Level,35,SUICUNE,Item,WATERSTONE,ENTEI,Item,FIRESTONE,RAIKOU,Item,THUNDERSTONE,MEW,Item,MOONSTONE,REGIROCK,Custom4,,REGICE,Custom3,,KYOGRE,Custom2,,GROUDON,Custom5,,JIRACHI,Happiness,,DARKRAI,Custom1,

For some reason, i get this error when I test it

Spoiler:

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
Years
I cant find an answer to my problem. I have tried (and succeeded) making new evolution methods, and a pokemon using many methods to evolve into certain legendaries. In the pokemons data I wrote:

Evolutions=DEOXYS,Level,35,SUICUNE,Item,WATERSTONE,ENTEI,Item,FIRESTONE,RAIKOU,Item,THUNDERSTONE,MEW,Item,MOONSTONE,REGIROCK,Custom4,,REGICE,Custom3,,KYOGRE,Custom2,,GROUDON,Custom5,,JIRACHI,Happiness,,DARKRAI,Custom1,

For some reason, i get this error when I test it

Spoiler:

For each instance of a custom evolution, you need to put a comma and a 0, or any other variable that specifies what type of evolution.

Example.

Evolutions=DARKRAI,Custom1,0

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 28, 2014
I read everything after my earlier post and it was never answered, so I figure I should post it again, especially since I've figured out the conditions of the error more accurately:

I get this error every time I walk into grass:

---------------------------
PokemonLunarVoid
Exception: NoMethodError

RPG__Sprite:112:in `effect?'

RPG__Sprite:397:in `effect?'

RPG__Sprite:396:in `each'

RPG__Sprite:396:in `effect?'

AnimationSprite:27:in `update'

AnimationSprite:81:in `update'

AnimationSprite:80:in `each'

AnimationSprite:80:in `update'

Scene_Map:47:in `updateSpritesets'

Scene_Map:41:in `each'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

I can't seem to figure out what about the grass is causing the error.

Heh, no problem. I asked the same question when I made custom evolutions.

So nobody's had this problem, or has any idea how to fix it? D: lol That'd be terribly unfortunate for me if that's the case haha.

Years
  • Seen Sep 21, 2010
Parallel Process Variable Number Problem

Ok this may or may not be directly related to Pokemon Essentials, but I am using it and Poccil has changed the way triggers work in general. Even though many functions appear to be exactly the same, he has often rewritten the trigger himself so that it functions better with Pokemon Essentials.

So here is my problem (it is starting to drive me batty):

I have a Variable number I am using to interact with a few parallel processes that I want to do something very specific. The event has 6 pages. First page has no variable needed to run the parallel process (or I should be able to put the variable number to = 0 and it would work the same). Second page needs my variable number to = 1, and then third page =2, and so on. All pages are parallel processes.

I have a trigger to activate what number I want my variable to be at, and based on that number the parallel process should pick the appropriate page. That is in short what I want to do (each page has a different graphic).

I have used this EXACT same process on another map, only the page is actually running scripts on them and they change pages according to the exact variable number that I set them to with a different trigger and those events work perfectly.

I cannot for the life of me get this event to work, I have hands down tried just about everything. They refuse to change pages even though the page has the required variable number.

I could go through a giant convoluted process to get the graphic change to work by making a seperate event for each graphic with a series of script to delete the event and move another event on top of it with the separate graphic, but this shouldn't be necessary. I am using the proper method for doing this and it is simply NOT working.

Can anybody help me with this? It seems like this shouldn't be a problem.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Can anybody help me with this? It seems like this shouldn't be a problem.
You may want to use switches instead. Notice how to the right of the field where you specify the value of the variable it says: "or above." This means that if you make it require the number 1, any number equal or greater than 1 will trigger it. So, for instance, you choose the number 2: the page that requires number 1 AND the one that requires 2 will be triggered. So, it triggers the wrong thing. If the first page requires 0, anything equal to greater than 0 will trigger it (in other words, it's always triggered by default, until the value is made negative). It's a poorly thought out system. If you don't want to use switches, you could use a set of conditional branches, like this:

Spoiler:

@brokenxnote: when did the error start? Was it as soon as you started using the kit, or after modifications? If it has been happening all along, you should get a new kit. If it happened after a modification, then we'll need to know what was changed.

tasmania12

Mewtwo Master
Years
Is there a way to have a wild pokemons form randomly change by a variable?

I have a Pokemon that has several forms but I need them all to appear randomly. Is there a way to do this?

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
Is there a way to have a wild pokemons form randomly change by a variable?

I have a Pokemon that has several forms but I need them all to appear randomly. Is there a way to do this?

If I'm not mistaken, you have to edit one of the text files to add the pokemon into a map anyways, so you could add the different forms as seperate pokemon.

tasmania12

Mewtwo Master
Years
I could do that but I want the forms to be one Pokemon and when I walk around in the grass you encounter this Pokemon and whatever number the variable randomly chooses, that specific form comes up.

Lets say i chose variable 100. When the battle starts, variable 100 would randomly equal lets say a 3, so then the 3rd form of that pokemon goes into battle.

I would like it to be like that.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I have a question about adding types. I edited the types document and saved it, but it won't let me compile it. Can someone explain to me where else I need to edit to be able to compile it?

tasmania12

Mewtwo Master
Years
I have a question about adding types. I edited the types document and saved it, but it won't let me compile it. Can someone explain to me where else I need to edit to be able to compile it?

Did you set it up like this? If you did, then I don't know.
[#]
Name=
InternalName=
IsSpecialType=
Weaknesses=
Resistances=
Immunities=

P.S. Anything about my question yet?

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
Sorry, I'm not sure how to answer your question. I fixed one error I had, but I get this error when I try to compile it:

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: SyntaxError

(eval):11: syntax error
???=9

^

Compiler:2079:in `pbCompileTypes'

Compiler:3862:in `eval'

Compiler:3862:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4005

OK

tasmania12

Mewtwo Master
Years
Sorry, I'm not sure how to answer your question. I fixed one error I had, but I get this error when I try to compile it:

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: SyntaxError

(eval):11: syntax error
???=9

^

Compiler:3862:in `eval'

Compiler:3862:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4005

OK

Did you change type #9? (???)

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
Yeah, it fits into my story so I edited it to this:

[9]
Name=???
InternalName=???
IsPseudoType=true
Weaknesses=PSYCHIC,GROUND
Resistances=POISON,ICE,BUG,STEEL,DARK,FLYING,GRASS,WATER,FIRE
Immunities=???

EDIT: Nevermind, I was stupid and renamed it ??? instead of QMARKS. I got it to work now.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 21, 2010
You may want to use switches instead. Notice how to the right of the field where you specify the value of the variable it says: "or above." This means that if you make it require the number 1, any number equal or greater than 1 will trigger it. So, for instance, you choose the number 2: the page that requires number 1 AND the one that requires 2 will be triggered. So, it triggers the wrong thing. If the first page requires 0, anything equal to greater than 0 will trigger it (in other words, it's always triggered by default, until the value is made negative). It's a poorly thought out system. If you don't want to use switches, you could use a set of conditional branches, like this:

Spoiler:

Oh my goodness this somehow worked. I tried something similar to this before and couldn't get the event to recognize any Conditional Branches inside Conditional Branches for whatever reason, so after one attempt I stopped trying this route. Your reply prompted me to test this again and give it a shot! It totally worked. Here is what I did:

Spoiler:

I was so floored when it worked I honestly thought that I was going to have to figure out how to write this in ruby and execute it that way.

Big Thanks!!!

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2010
I heard there was an easy way to make Pokemon Essentials check for files on a webserver.

I have the webserver, it even supports MSQL, but I need to know what commands to use (or at least how to find them).

I need those steps:
1) check for files on a webserver
2) if there is a file, read it
3) convert the contents of the file into a pokemon

I can do the rest on my own^^

Thank you!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
I think there's a pbDownloadData method that downloads a file via HTTP. I can't remember the details, but there's one that writes the contents to a string, called something like pbDownloadToString.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I could do that but I want the forms to be one Pokemon and when I walk around in the grass you encounter this Pokemon and whatever number the variable randomly chooses, that specific form comes up.

Lets say i chose variable 100. When the battle starts, variable 100 would randomly equal lets say a 3, so then the 3rd form of that pokemon goes into battle.

I would like it to be like that.
What I always do when I come across a problem is think about whether something similar has already been done.

I know, for instance, that Shellos and Gastrodon have two forms each, which vary depending on which map you're on. I also know that the scripts decide the form with a very simple calculation in PokemonMultipleForms. I further know that I can mess with simple calculations, for example, adding in a "rnd(3)" here and there.

There are many things I could do here, but for now I'll stick with something simple:

Code:
MultipleForms.register(:[COLOR=Red]FAKEMON[/COLOR],{
   "getFormOnCreation"=>proc{|pokemon|
    next rnd([COLOR=Red]2[/COLOR])
   }
})
This is the simplest you can get. When any Pokémon of the species Fakemon is generated (i.e. at the start of a wild or trainer battle), there is a 50% chance of it being either of its two forms. Remember that "rnd(2)" will pick a random integer between 0 and 1 inclusive (i.e. 0 or 1).

This could get more complicated. For example, I might want to have the forms be random on only some maps, while on other maps the form would always be the same. I might want one form to be twice as common as the other. I might want the form's rarity to depend on the species of the lead Pokémon in the player's party, or on whether the player is running/cycling, or on whether they're in a Bug Catching Contest at the time. I might want it to depend on the time of day. I might want it to depend on the number of badges/plot coupons the player has. All these things are possible.

And then I might want to make the forms different by more than appearance alone. Deoxys has different stats in its forms, Shaymin has different types and abilities, and that's just for starters. Maybe I want Fakemon Special Forme to be shiny 50% of the time. Maybe I want it to have a different moveset, or to always have a Hardy nature, or to always be female. Maybe the Special Forme can be found holding a different item to the Normal Forme. All these too can be done.

As an aside, making a single Nidoran species would involve nothing more than two forms, one per gender (50% chance of each), with each gender having a different moveset. Evolution depending on gender already exists in Essentials. Something you might want to think about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back