• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Pokémon (In Terms of Game Design)

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
  • So, I'm the type of person to dissect game design given enough time, and when it comes to Pokémon, not many of them strike me as interesting in a gameplay sense. But every once in a while, especially in later generations, Game Freak proves that they're capable of making something that makes me go, "wow, that's actually sort of cool."

What do I mean by that? Here are a few examples of Pokémon I think are neat in terms of game design:
    • The Johto games get a lot of flak for not being that robustly designed, but you've got to give Game Freak props for turning Ditto into something more than a gimmick by making it a crucial part of breeding (instead of making a new Pokémon for it, too), and making it so that it spawns in the same area that introduces the Day Care.
    • Pokémon Black and White did a good job with making a limited Pokédex made of only newcomers. Not the best job, but good enough.
    • They knew what they were doing with Mega Beedrill and Mega Pidgeot. Honestly, it's just fun to see such weak Pokémon get deserving glow-ups. Mega Beedrill makes the most out of its 100-point stat boost by deducting a bit of its Special Attack which it never used anyway and gaining Adaptability, and Mega Pidgeot is the first Special Attacker with No Guard. These Pokémon are enough to make a grown man cry, even if they're simple in design.
    • Something that's somewhat overblown about Golisopod is that it has an inherently disadvantageous ability. I was browsing through Smogon's Create-A-Pokémon Project forum, and came across a thread discussing how they would design a Pokémon with such a debilitating ability (which eventually became Chromera); the prompter of the idea suggested that Golisopod was given the Emergency Exit ability so that it can more freely abuse First Impression, which used to be its signature move. Golisopod's design and flavor text don't even imply that it's the kind of Pokémon to retreat after taking serious damage, so did Game Freak intentionally give Golisopod this specific synergy? Either way, even if it's not the flashiest way to design a Pokémon, it's certainly interesting.
    • I've talked about Unown in Legends: Arceus quite a few times already, so I'll just leave it at that.
    • Hisuian Zorua and Zoroark are a fun duo. They have one of the best defensive type combinations in the game thanks to three immunities and only one weakness, plus an ability that's well suited to keeping the opponent on their toes. The Hisuian Zorua line feels specifically made to take advantage of the synergy between the Normal/Ghost type and the Illusion ability, like they were only given the Normal type because it would work really well for this synergy. It's not even broken either, considering the Zorua line's frailty.
    • The Nacli line makes me wish more Pokémon flipped the type chart on its head beyond having an ability that gives them immunities or resistances or weaknesses. Purifying Salt makes them some of the only Pokémon to actually resist Ghost moves, and Salt Cure turns the tables on the Water- and Steel-types which should otherwise comfortably match up well against Rock-types. The Nacli line led me down a rabbit hole thinking whether all types are really meant to be equal. Even if people think Garganacl annoying to face, I love the Nacli line on a conceptual level because they don't feel like regular old Rock-types. They also make me wish we had more moves like Flying Press and Freeze-Dry.

So, how about you? Are there any Pokémon you really like in terms of how they're implemented in the games? Perhaps their movepools, stats, abilities, or even in-game availability?

Last edited:

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
    Years
  • Genesect, I love this pokemon's gimmick. I like how you can change the type and appearance of techno blast. The pokemon in general looks really cool, It is my favorite color, I can go on and on about why this is my favorite mythical.

Anyway that's my favorite pokemon in terms of game design!

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Togedemaru. Made most Pikaclones underwhelming. Gave Togedemaru two interesting options:
    1. Defensive chip damage. Combines Iron Barbs with Spiky Shield and Fake Out. Could give it a Rocky Helmet for more irritation. Constantly makes you regret attacking it. Works well in tandem with its 11 resistances and 1 immunity.
    2. Offensive para-flinch. Wields Nuzzle for a guaranteed paralysis. Looks even better, given the Thunder Wave accuracy nerf in its debut generation. Pairs with both Iron Head and the signature move Zing Zap for same-type flinches.

Years
  • hmmm... the first ones to come to mind are Falinks and Wishiwashi.

Falinks, because it's signature move just fits the whole Phalanx inspiration imo.

Spoiler:

Wishiwashi I just like because it's a very weak fishy, which then schools with lots of others of it's kind to become a beast with a higher BST than a pseudo.

Back