• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chimchar

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • ! Small spoilers if you hadn't watched the Sinnoh arc of the anime. Please be aware before moving on!

pokemon_tears_for_fears.jpg

I'd like to start having more discussions about specific pokemon in the anime! Like, Chimchar from the DP saga, for example. I think Chimchar is one of the most well developed of Ash's pokemon ever.

He was first caught by Shinji/Paul, because Paul saw that Chimchar had incredible, destructive power when he activated his Blaze against some wild Zangoose. But since then, Paul gave Chimchar severe training, and despite all that, he never got to activate Chimchar's true power with Blaze again. He finally had enough and released Chimchar -- for Ash to adopt and train Chimchar himself. Chimchar meshed better with Ash, ingratiating his power with Blaze again, and learning how to actually controlling it while evolving to Monferno, and Infernape. Eventually, Ash defeats Paul in the Pokemon League, thanks to Infernape's power.

I think it comes to show you that, Pokemon have as much personalities as humans in the anime do, and not all pokemon can mesh with all humans. At least, from our experience with Chimchar. But, what do you guys think about Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape in the anime? Any thoughts about how his story was handled? Was there anything more you wanted to see?

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Chimchar's Arc is one of the best if not the best Pokemon Arc out of the series! Going from being in a basically abusive trainer with a very harsh training style to Ash who was much more gentle and friendly and watching it grow from its trauma is just so good imo!! I'm watching Sinnoh right now and the episodes that focus on Chimchar have been many of my favorite episodes to watch.

It was also such a good representative of Ash and Paul's relationship like what Paul's brother said. Also what Cynthia said about the two of them and Chimchar as well. Just ... so much symbolism and amazing writing for Chimchar's arc not many other Pokemon's arcs can compare, honestly!

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I adored Chimchar's arc, and it made me adore Shinji/Paul as a character as well. There was just so much unexplored depth there, and plenty of explored depth as well. Chimchar's arc was powerful and honestly can get me to tear up. Could be my inner fangirl, however, since this had made such a huge impact on me in my childhood. I'll never forget it, and I'll always come back to it so I can experience the beauty and perfect characterization of the Diamond and Pearl series. Jun and Shinji are my absolute favorite characters in the Pokemon series. :) <3 you Chimchar, you trooper.

Back