• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Kangaskhan WAY TOO OVERPOWERED

Status
Not open for further replies.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
  • I don't see how this relates though. The average semi-competitive battler knows how overpowered Kangaskhan is and thusly avoids using it (just as some people avoid using mewtwo and other pokemon like that). In addition, contrary to your point 4, enough people DON'T use Kangaskhan so that Battle Spot fights can still be good.

There are always going to be people obsessed with winning enough that their entire team will be stacked with Ubers... but that's just life. Still, there are enough people not doing that so that you can still have strategical fun even if you haven't built a team around countering specific ones.

I find that Battle Spot battling can be enjoyable for anyone. As far as passerbyers and friends, just keep your friends with reasonably fair teams and dump the rest (unless you're looking for high-tier/OPed battles). lol

Cop-out answer. You just said "I agree with someone else so this is how everything should be regardless of what anyone else wants." Again, Smogon does NOT, in any way, control the game, Game Freak does. Also again, they are two different arenas, if you don't like one then stay out of it, it's that simple. The rest of us would rather figure out counters to the hard to beat tactics instead of just avoid them.

Really, I don't think the Smogon arena is inherently bad, just a different format is all, but the attitude of "what we think is what should be" is what has ruined a lot of wonderful things in society for so long it makes me despise Smogonites. This is almost 2014, both mob rule and elitism should be out the door, not elevated onto a soap box.

The thing is, when you need a dedicated counter for just one Pokemon, you know that one Pokemon is just too OP to stay in that tier. As such, it limits team building.

Throughout the thread there are many counters to it, none require any "dedicated counters for just one." Mega Kahn is becoming less popular in Battle Spot because .... everyone knows a counter to it now, there are so many ways to disable, wreck, and even brute force KO a mega Kahn now, and anyone worth battling knows at least one that does not require any "dedicated" lineups.

Last edited:

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • Your team is overall pretty bad to be honest. It's not surprising that you lost.
    Try some more walls and supports.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    i've tried using mega kangaskhan for a few battles and it's always been easily taken out by non fighting types.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So after yesterday I realized I did the dumbass thing of talking about Mega Kangaskhan and its Ubers status when 1) I've fought all of like 3 of 'em and 2)I've never used one before. So I went and raised one, then took it to the Battle Maison and Battle Spot to see what would happen. And after about a dozen battles between the 2, I've come to this conclusion now:

Mega Kangaskhan isn't all that OP. It's strong, yes, but not exactly OP.

I took note of a few things that prevented Mega Khan from totally destroying everything in my way:

-Sleep. Put it to sleep, Mega Khan's not a problem. (Then again, sleep is a problem for most pokes)

-Weezing. Yup, old Weezing shuts down Mega Khan. A physically defensive set with Will-o-Wisp, Black Sludge, and Haze can take it down. It has great physical bulk, resists Power Up Punch, and is immune to Earthquake via Levitate. Then you just burn Mega Khan and use Haze while you watch it squirm and slowly die as it tries to do something.

-Bulky Phazers. Self explainitory.

-Lead Breloom vs Lead Mega Kangaskhan. If your opponent has a Breloom and sees you have a Kangaskhan, they're pretty sure you're gonna lead with it, so they lead with Breloom. The irritating fighting mushroom thing can survive a Parental Bond Power Up Punch, then put Khan to sleep. Ok, that one's a bit specific, but still.

So, what I feel is this: Mega Kangaskhan isn't all that easy to counter (because few things like to switch into its attacks), but is easy to check and/or hinder and/or revenge kill (many pokemon can outspeed and hit it hard; most competent revenge killers can probably take it out).

But to be honest, I'm still fine with it being in Ubers. It's not like there isn't plenty of other good Pokemon to use in OU.

I think the rest of my posts still stand, though.

In a way, its too bad its not insanely ovepowered though. If it was, I could've FINALLY gotten a 50+ wins treak in the goddamned Battle Maison. Now I gotta think of yet another plan...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Cop-out answer. You just said "I agree with someone else so this is how everything should be regardless of what anyone else wants." Again, Smogon does NOT, in any way, control the game, Game Freak does. Also again, they are two different arenas, if you don't like one then stay out of it, it's that simple. The rest of us would rather figure out counters to the hard to beat tactics instead of just avoid them.

Really, I don't think the Smogon arena is inherently bad, just a different format is all, but the attitude of "what we think is what should be" is what has ruined a lot of wonderful things in society for so long it makes me despise Smogonites. This is almost 2014, both mob rule and elitism should be out the door, not elevated onto a soap box.

Throughout the thread there are many counters to it, none require any "dedicated counters for just one." Mega Kahn is becoming less popular in Battle Spot because .... everyone knows a counter to it now, there are so many ways to disable, wreck, and even brute force KO a mega Kahn now, and anyone worth battling knows at least one that does not require any "dedicated" lineups.

I don't think I said people shouldn't use Kangaskhan because of smogon. I think I agreed that smogon has good reasoning behind calling it Uber and that most people who use it are either looking for easier wins or preparing for uber-level battles.

That being said, I don't play smogon, nor do I use their battle formats or clauses. I do, however, try not to use pokemon which are Uber because I find them to be broken in standard play.

People say Mega Kangaskhan is easy to beat or w/e too... but just because you beat one doesn't mean its easy to beat. You have to think, was the trainer you were fighting good? Was your team stacked with specific counters to him?

Idk, after I used him I've only lost maybe four battles and I've used him in like 30 (6v6). Sometimes he goes down, but usually its after taking out a large portion of my opponents teams. Another time my sweep went down to a Ferrothron with Rocky Helmet (took more than half my hp on the power-up punch). Although I still brought 2 pokemon (Ferrothorn and Talonflame) down too. My streak in 3v3 is worse, but not significantly so. Maybe 3-1.

You can say Lugia, Mewtwo, or Kangaskhan suck, but is it in competent hands? Does it have support from the rest of its team? Those are important questions to ask. If you can take Mega Kangaskhan down and the rest of the team sucks... then lol, sure its fair. Or if you fight one and the other person has zero skill in prediction, then sure.

But if two nearly equal strategists are fighting. That's when overpoweredness comes into play.

As for a good and OPed mega kangaskhan team should deal with getting rid of counters. Once they're gone sweeping any team should be easy. Most Kangaskhan counters are easily dealt with, particularly with good fire pokemon. Baton passing speed to Kangaskhan can destroy any fighting type counters except for Hawlucha. Otherwise carry a ghost.

However my Kangaskhan team isn't intended for dealing with counters, though it still wins relatively easily (it does have a baton passer though).

Again, I don't think I said anything about whether or not Kangaskhan should or shouldn't be used. I've only made an observation about the pokemon itself and implications about what using it means to the metagame.

So after yesterday I realized I did the dumbass thing of talking about Mega Kangaskhan and its Ubers status when 1) I've fought all of like 3 of 'em and 2)I've never used one before. So I went and raised one, then took it to the Battle Maison and Battle Spot to see what would happen. And after about a dozen battles between the 2, I've come to this conclusion now.

I'm thinking you didn't give it good team support and put everything on Khan alone, which a lot of people have specific counters for now because the metagame forces it, just as most people have Breloom counters now too. Grass pokemon can't be put to sleep, so use a grass/poison type to wall him and absorb fighting/grass moves.

Unfortunately Weezing isn't available yet.

If you're in 3v3 battles, don't always use him. Actually take a minute to analyze your opponent's team and plan accordingly. Chances are if you have Mega K on your team, they're going to choose the counters if they have them. That's what they put them on the team for most likely. Use the counters for their counters.

Oh right, battle maison. I did get that streak easily with Mega Kangs. Try using Mega Kangaskhan, Gengar, and Greninja with Kangaskhan as the lead. It should be super easy. Remember to switch to Gengar if facing a good fighting pokemon, and make sure Kangaskhan has scrappy for Mismagius.

Last thing: every pokemon, overpowered or not, needs team support.

Last edited:

Rynengan

Ray
    Years
  • Well I have faced Mega Kangaskhan a couple of times, like 7 or 8 times. I always beat him with my Talonflame, since Talonflame doesn't care about speed, with its Priority Brave Bird/Acrobatics should be enough if you are plus 2 or 4 from a Swordsdance. If you can Predict its Sucker Punch and go for a Swords Dance, then you can use Brave Bird on it to OHKO it, since Talonflame has priority and its much faster than Mega K, you'll go first. Also, Skarmory is a good counter to it, almost all of the competitive moves it uses are not very effective against skarmory, and that gives you time to set-up spikes or use Whirlwind to reset its pluses from Power-Up punch.

You can use other steel-type pokemon to counter it, or other priority moves to take him down. For me that Pokemon is not OP, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh right, battle maison. I did get that streak easily with Mega Kangs. Try using Mega Kangaskhan, Gengar, and Greninja with Kangaskhan as the lead. It should be super easy. Remember to switch to Gengar if facing a good fighting pokemon, and make sure Kangaskhan has scrappy for Mismagius.

Last thing: every pokemon, overpowered or not, needs team support.

If something's overpowered it doesn't need support. If it does need support, its not overpowered. If something's OP, it can destroy everything by itself without much help from allies. At least, that's what I think of when I hear "overpowered".

But thanks for the Battle Maison tip:). If my current team (Cloyster, Mega Blaziken, Slyveon) doesn't work out for some reason (30 wins at the moment, let's see if I can keep it up), I'll try teaming Mega Khan with Gengar and Greninja.

Trainer Evan

Loses lots, but keeps trying!
    Years
  • I've slain Mega Kangaskhans with nothing but a Furfrou. A properly set up Furfrou can tank almost everything Mega Kangaskhan can dish out, and whittle down it's health, slowly but surely.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2014
    I've taken Mega Khan down too, but I still think it's overpowered. Just because it's possible to take it down, doesn't mean it isn't overpowered. Legendaries can be taken down, but they are still considered overpowered.

For example, the other day I lost in a ratings battle to one. It was against my Sableye, he fakes out (scrappy) as I will o wisp, effectively knocking his attack down to -2. I'm pretty confident he can't do all that much to me, and I still have my mega Gyarados left. He goes for the power up punch, it does next to nothing of course, but now he's at -1, I decide to go for a foul play, because I don't want him setting up more power up punches, and if that doesn't kill, I can probably stall him out with recover and burn damage, but nope, he goes for façade which knocks me out.

Still, he's at -1, I'm thinking it'll be fine once Gyarados comes in and gets the intimidate. Gyarados comes in and now he's at -2 again, we both go Mega- I know façade will hurt, but Mega Gyarados is bulky and he's at -2, so my plan was to go for a dragon dance to outspeed, then finish him off with waterfall... Nope, parental bond façade is a One hit KO, even though it's at -2 and can only hit me for neutral damage, and I've got base 95hp and base 109 defence :O

To me, that is overpowered when something can knock out a very bulky pokemon when it's at -2 attack, with a neutral move, and it wasn't even a crit. I checked the damage calcs and apparently, adamant mega Khan façade hits Mega Gyarados for between 103% and 121% damage when it is burned :S So yeah, now that façade, mega khan is a thing, you can't even rely on phasing it anymore. It's not unstoppable, there are pokes to counter it, but the sheer number of things it is able to take out is staggering, even things you'd think would be able to go toe to tow with it, stand no chance. It's not like I was not going to burn it either, since it's much more common set carries return and without a burn, that would have been a 2 hit KO on my Mega Gyarados, even after the intimidate drop, and since it outspeeds, it STILL would have won.

Apparently, it seems façade ignores the attack drop from burn this gen, if so that certainly explains why it was able to ohko me :(

I have to say, I think that is pretty stupid. I think the attack drop should still happen on façade, unless the pokemon has an ability like guts.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    It seems like all the hype is over now. I don't really see anyone using Mega Kangaskhan anymore, but that could either be because, as was said earlier, so many people started running counters for it, or because people decided they didn't enjoy running it.. I don't really see Mega Mawile or Mega Blaziken around as much either anymore. Idk if this is the same for everyone, but interesting nonetheless!

They were on like every team at first!

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I haven't played much Battle Spot anymore, but I hopped on yesterday and the first couple games I played they were running Mega-Kang. I myself try to follow the Smogon tiers, but I realize that they're not official and you're free to use whatever. Regardless, I run pretty much mega offense and was crushed haha. Incidentally I do use Mega Mawile though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2022
    Kangashkhan is amazingly powerful, and I'd say overpowered, but certainly not uncounterable. Lucario or Skarmory is your best bet against it. But if that thing gets to power up punch three times? Well you can just give up because just about everything in the game will die to it at that point if they can't get a hit off first. But hey. This is why people make tiers- to allow people to play without having to worry about handling these super powerful things.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Yes, evasion moves can be dealt with. But at what cost? Using Pokemon and/or moves that have absolutely no use besides countering the evasion moves, which leaves you exposed to other threats. No one wants to use something to deal with just one thing.

That's not a good argument at all. Most teams have a Stealth Rock user, and to counter it you need a Pokémon with Rapid Spin (and ONLY Rapid Spin, I hear Defog was improved though), which is a weak 20 BP Normal-type move that has no use apart from clearing rocks and spikes and can be stopped by Ghost Pokémon, which are immune to it. As far as I know, Smogon hasn't banned Stealth Rock yet, despite having stated in their analysis numerous times that Stealth Rock knocks certain Pokémon down one or two tiers by itself, which is IMO unfair.

Meanwhile, there are various ways of dealing with evasion. Moves that never miss, as well as Foresight/Odor Sleuth/Miracle Eye (which completely negate evasion), the No Guard ability, Haze... It's annoying to deal with, sure, but if you have the right tools to fight it, it's a pathetic strategy.

I also don't understand why OHKO moves are banned as well. Horn Drill has 30% accuracy. The chance of knocking out all of the Pokémon in the opposing team with it is ridiculously small. It's not a reliable strategy by a long shot and won't win you any tournaments. But it's banned because it's "luck-based". I understand luck shouldn't be a factor in any sport, but Pokémon isn't a sport. It's an RPG. Rolls of the dice and all that.

There will always be stronger Pokémon than others. What Smogon does is modifying the amount of Pokémon considered "strong" for the sake of "variety". And it certainly is limiting, because they claim you can use your favorites, but that's not true. I may use them in separate tiers, but what if I want to use them together? I might want to use Blaziken, Honchkrow and Scolipede together (just an example with no competitive basis), but I can't because Blaziken is banned and Honchkrow is too strong for RU.

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
    Years
  • Mega-Kangaskhan was banned in the metagames that I play...For good reason too...lol...It's ability is something that belongs on a pokemon with below average stats or more weaknesses...The "four move syndrome" it has isn't holding it back...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    That's not a good argument at all. Most teams have a Stealth Rock user, and to counter it you need a Pokémon with Rapid Spin (and ONLY Rapid Spin, I hear Defog was improved though), which is a weak 20 BP Normal-type move that has no use apart from clearing rocks and spikes and can be stopped by Ghost Pokémon, which are immune to it. As far as I know, Smogon hasn't banned Stealth Rock yet, despite having stated in their analysis numerous times that Stealth Rock knocks certain Pokémon down one or two tiers by itself, which is IMO unfair.
    I have to agree with you on the Stealth Rocks thing. It'd be nice if it was banned. Or at least, if Game Freak would change so it does less damage on switching in (I've always thought that losing half your HP for pokes with a 4x Rock weakness was a bit much). Why nothing has happened, IDK.

Meanwhile, there are various ways of dealing with evasion. Moves that never miss, as well as Foresight/Odor Sleuth/Miracle Eye (which completely negate evasion), the No Guard ability, Haze... It's annoying to deal with, sure, but if you have the right tools to fight it, it's a pathetic strategy.
    Like I said before, those moves have zero use outside of hitting evasive Pokemon. Most Pokemon have a hard enough time choosing movesets, and adding that doesn't help. More importantly, if evasion moves were not banned, I bet 70% of all teams would run evasion moves. It'd be like last gen where at least half of all OU teams were rain teams, and that was annoying and boring. You wanna abuse accuracy tactics? Use Sand Attack and **** like that, those aren't banned.

I also don't understand why OHKO moves are banned as well. Horn Drill has 30% accuracy. The chance of knocking out all of the Pokémon in the opposing team with it is ridiculously small. It's not a reliable strategy by a long shot and won't win you any tournaments. But it's banned because it's "luck-based". I understand luck shouldn't be a factor in any sport, but Pokémon isn't a sport. It's an RPG. Rolls of the dice and all that.
    Because of stuff like Mind Reader and accuracy boosting items/moves/abilities. But if the accuracy is so bad, why bother using them anyway? And no one likes it when something with such a low chance of happening happens. There's enough luck based stuff in Pokemon already.

There will always be stronger Pokémon than others. What Smogon does is modifying the amount of Pokémon considered "strong" for the sake of "variety". And it certainly is limiting, because they claim you can use your favorites, but that's not true. I may use them in separate tiers, but what if I want to use them together? I might want to use Blaziken, Honchkrow and Scolipede together (just an example with no competitive basis), but I can't because Blaziken is banned and Honchkrow is too strong for RU.
    Unfortunately, not all Pokemon are created equal, so there has to be tiers. Would you really wanna fight off a bunch of Ubers with a bunch of NU pokes? Because if there weren't tiers, I assure you that most people would just use all Ubers, because most people are solely interested in winning. If tiering bothers you, play on Battle Spot or in the VGC, where there are no tiers.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020

Don't forget though, you can always play lower tier pokemon in higher tiers. Just use your RUs along with Blaziken in Ubers.

Last edited:

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Tiers exists because of Talonflame. TF renders all pokemon with a weakness to flying UNUSEABLE.

Victreebell under the sun is frail, but has a chance to be faster than TF and KO TF with a Sludge Bomb...NOPE! TF always gets to go first and OHKO all Grass, Fighting Pokemon in the game.

Mega-Kangaskhan is also bad, but at least you can be faster than him. A Hi Jump Kick to the face will do it.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • I wonder why this old post was brought back up.. Mega Kangastan is so easily defeated.. I have absolutely zero problems with it.. Xatu can totally disable it's ability to double hit by taking away it's Parental Ability, Mewtwo can outspeed it and Aura Sphere 1 hit-ko it, Talonflame can out priority/speed it with acrobatics to drop it's health considerably, Xerneas can one-shot it if geomancy'd, otherwise hurt it heavily if not, Zekrom can survive a dual return then proceed to one-shot it with an ultra powerful fusion bolt, Virizion can outspeed and one-shot it with sacred sword, etc.. there's just so many pokemon who can take out Kangastan.. but the best is Xatu in my opinion, my opponents never think that it's a threat, so it usually goes ignored while they focus their efforts on hitting my other Pokemon but then SURPRISE!!! it makes Kangastan useless by taking away it's ability completely, that afterwards, I ignore it and let it live for a round or two while I refocus my efforts on taking out the other Pokemon in double/triple battles as i know a single return, power-up punch, etc, won't do much damage or kill any of my Pokemon...

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I wonder why this old post was brought back up.. Mega Kangastan is so easily defeated.. I have absolutely zero problems with it.. Xatu can totally disable it's ability to double hit by taking away it's Parental Ability, Mewtwo can outspeed it and Aura Sphere 1 hit-ko it, Talonflame can out priority/speed it with acrobatics to drop it's health considerably, Xerneas can one-shot it if geomancy'd, otherwise hurt it heavily if not, Zekrom can survive a dual return then proceed to one-shot it with an ultra powerful fusion bolt, Virizion can outspeed and one-shot it with sacred sword, etc.. there's just so many pokemon who can take out Kangastan.. but the best is Xatu in my opinion, my opponents never think that it's a threat, so it usually goes ignored while they focus their efforts on hitting my other Pokemon but then SURPRISE!!! it makes Kangastan useless by taking away it's ability completely, that afterwards, I ignore it and let it live for a round or two while I refocus my efforts on taking out the other Pokemon in double/triple battles as i know a single return, power-up punch, etc, won't do much damage or kill any of my Pokemon...

Most of the pokemon you mentioned are Uber pokemon. Most uber pokemon are pretty much OPed as well. But I think we have discussed the most relevant counters to Mega Kangaskhan by now such as Skarmory/Weezing, for example. If Xatu works, I'd count it too.

Last edited:

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • Most of the pokemon you mentioned are Uber pokemon. Most uber pokemon are pretty much OPed as well. But I think we have discussed the most relevant counters to Mega Kangaskhan by now such as Skarmory/Weezing, for example. If Xatu works, I'd count it too.

Yes, Simple Beam is your best friend against Mega Kangastan... Also works on other pokemon with annoying abilities.. such as taking away a pokemon's Prankster ability, Levitate (make them vulnerable to ground moves), gale wings, reverse Shell Smash for Shuckle causing it to backfire (pretty much kill it in 1 shot as you made it supremely weak with +4 drop in defenses), etc., Also it has good uses for your own team as it doubles stat changes.. i.e. I shoot Xerneas with it and it causes Xerneas' Geomancy to turn into +4 stat increases instead of +2 (can out speed a team behind tailwind and oneshot nearly everything, including resisting.

Also Xatu's magic bounce ability is epic.. cause thunderwave, toxic, spikes, sleep, darkvoid, etc to backfire right back at the user.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back