• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Week Eight: The best anime of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • I haven't seen another but whatever few scenes I saw of it definitely made me think of Final Destination. So final destination: the anime isn't really an inaccurate description for the anime, I feel. :p

Anyway, on-topic - I personally feel that no matter how good an anime is at the end of the day, it almost always seems to lag behind in one aspect or the other which brings the overall experience down. As a result, I almost never can call any show "perfect" due to the fact that they're not complete experiences as a result of flaws rearing their ugly head in one aspect or the other.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is an exception. While it still suffers from minor flaws, the fact that it does SO many things right is just fantastic. It fleshes out the characters, has a tightly written plot for the most part, has some great music, animation is on point and OPs/EDs were some of the best I've ever seen. It isn't quite perfect in any aspect individually but, overall, as a whole, manages to be one of the best experiences I've ever had over the years watching anime.

Surprised I didn't bring Gintama up? Even though I refer to it as the AOTS/AOTY and claim it to be my favorite anime? Well, the thing is, even I know that it isn't anywhere near the best if you look at it from an unbiased perspective. The fact that the first twenty or so episodes turn away viewers and it takes quite a bit of persistence to get into the show itself is a flaw that cannot just be ignored. And not to forget, its production values are nowhere near FMAB :p But putting that aside, it will always be my personal favorite of all time. The best anime for me, definitely. :)

Other anime that come to my mind from my personal list of favorites include the following:
    Nodame Cantabile - One of the best stories around with amazing characters, amazing comedy and a pretty good art style. And music is obviously great.

Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji - Ultimate Survivor - If not for its unconventional art style that turns most people away, it is a brilliant watch with pretty good animation and plenty of development for the main character. The other characters aren't developed much but that's to be expected from a heavily character oriented battle of wits style of anime this is.

I'll get back to this post once I have a little more time :p

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Let's take a minute to talk about Gintama.

It's one of the best comedy shows ever made in Japan, that's for sure. The problem lies in what derozio said. Judging it for the first 20 or 30 episodes might be incorrect, but it's a little bit too much to ask someone to watch so many episodes to actually 'feel' what the whole thing is about.

In any case, I believe if you drop it before episode 20 you will never get the true scent of Gintama. A comedy show that has no shame, even if they need to laugh about themselves. And fourth wall? I would say they just went through the sixth wall already lol!

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • tumblr_n4tv9ssjdE1rhjnqxo1_500.gif

(I don't care if it's mainstream, never said anything about it. A show's popularity does NOT decide whether it's good or not, sorry! If your honest opinion is that Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is the best anime you've ever seen, all I want to know is why.)

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • tumblr_n4tv9ssjdE1rhjnqxo1_500.gif

(I don't care if it's mainstream, never said anything about it. A show's popularity does NOT decide whether it's good or not, sorry! If your honest opinion is that Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is the best anime you've ever seen, all I want to know is why.)

...What I want to know risa, is why you'd even mention this...show. I was under the impression that it was an Adult Swim original (Therefore technically Western; in Anime Style) *hide*

Years
  • I guess if you're looking for favourites rather than the best, I can't ignore One Piece. I realise it's far from having the best art (though I quite like the art style) or animation and I'm not even up to date on it, but it simply is my favourite. It's one of those few things in life that I can obsess about and go out of my way to find more information about the world/characters etc. I struggle to watch shows over fifty episodes so of course One Piece had to make a great impression for me to continue with it and it so far just gets better as you go along.

Personally I think it just hits all the things I look for, I love the characters, it has a good balance of drama & comedy whilst being good at both and I really enjoy all the story arcs (even fillers are good the majority of the time).

Outside of that, in terms of series I think Steins;Gate & Code Geass are the only others I've watched that I have enjoyed nearly as much. If I included films, Akira & The Girl Who Leapt Through Time would be up there too.

I put One Piece over the rest due to the greater longevity which provides more entertainment for me, but really all the things I have mentioned are worthy contenders.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • The problem with One Piece... It's amazing, but the author is starting to pointlessly milk the series. I guess it's not his fault, the series is ridiculously popular, he's just doing what people ask him to do. But in any case, I'm getting tired of seeing flashbacks and complete story arcs based on a few things.

As a big fan of Dragon Ball I can say that sometimes this will not get the result desired. Anyhow, it's too late, by now the anime and manga will last 10 years from now.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Meant to close this up on Monday, whoops. But that just means people had that extra chance to get some more posts in -w-

Next thread will be up this weekend owo!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back