• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
  • 0 Speed, with 31 everywhere else (or at least in the 20-30 range if you can't be bothered going for full flawless IVs)

You can also go for a random one in Sp. Attack. So 31/31/31/x/31/0 (Unless you're using the Volt Switch one, though a few points won't help it any lol)

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2013
    Im having an issue with arcanine...

I have a growlith currently lvl 28 and im going to evolve it into arcanine and this is what it was...

-Flare Blitz
    -Extreme Speed
    -Wild Charge/Crunch
    -Close Combat
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef/176 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Ability: Intimidate/Flash Fire

I reciently figured out that close combat and wild charge is an egg move.
    so when should i evolve my growlith and what should that 4th move be?
    If i evolve it after growlith learns crunch, can i still get extreme speed via heart scale?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Im having an issue with arcanine...

I have a growlith currently lvl 28 and im going to evolve it into arcanine and this is what it was...

-Flare Blitz
    -Extreme Speed
    -Wild Charge/Crunch
    -Close Combat
    EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef/176 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Ability: Intimidate/Flash Fire

I reciently figured out that close combat and wild charge is an egg move.
    so when should i evolve my growlith and what should that 4th move be?
    If i evolve it after growlith learns crunch, can i still get extreme speed via heart scale?
    Yes, if you evolve Growlithe if it has Crunch, Extreme Speed will become one of Arcanine's Heart Scale moves.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2013
    Arcanine or Rapidash

would love any input on which nature/move set would compliment both a physical & special sweeper of both species

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • would love any input on which nature/move set would compliment both a physical & special sweeper of both species

If you're referring to Arcanine and Rapidash: A Special set for Arcanine should use Sunny Day. Both are better off using physical moves, though, especially Rapidash:

Arcanine:
    (see Justintyler22's post for physical set)

Special set:
    -Sunny Day
    -Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Solar Beam
    -Morning Sun
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 192 HP/248 SAtk/4 SDef/64 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb/Heat Rock
    Ability: Intimidate

Rapidash:
    -Flare Blitz
    -Wild Charge
    -Low Kick
    -Morning Sun/Baton Pass
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Choice Band
    Ability: Flash Fire

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Is using Gardevoir a viable for competitive it being a Fairy and all?

Gardevoir is more improved than before, now that it's a Fairy. It's no longer weak to Bug and Dark, giving it an easier time against Pursuit users, as well as Bugs like Heracross. The 4x Fighting resistance is also helpful. Gardevoir's Mega Evolution is also faster than its regular form, so it's an improvement if you don't mind giving up your Mega slot for it.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • Gardevoir is more improved than before, now that it's a Fairy. It's no longer weak to Bug and Dark, giving it an easier time against Pursuit users, as well as Bugs like Heracross. The 4x Fighting resistance is also helpful. Gardevoir's Mega Evolution is also faster than its regular form, so it's an improvement if you don't mind giving up your Mega slot for it.

Would you say its mega form is something you can have a core team around. I was thinking of having it with a Garchomp on my team. Not an opening team just have them on same team.

This is what I was thinking for an Gardevoir

Gardevoir - Timid - Gardevoirite
    252 Sp Atk; 252 Spd ; 4 Hp

MoonBlast
    Shadow Sneak
    Psywave
    Calm mind

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Would you say its mega form is something you can have a core team around. I was thinking of having it with a Garchomp on my team. Not an opening team just have them on same team.

This is what I was thinking for an Gardevoir

Gardevoir - Timid - Gardevoirite
    252 Sp Atk; 252 Spd ; 4 Hp

MoonBlast
    Shadow Sneak
    Psywave
    Calm mind

You don't want Psywave and Shadow Sneak on Gardevoir ever. Hyper Voice (if you have access to it) is better than Moonblast because Pixilate gives a 30% damage boost on top of STAB for the moves it affects.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • You don't want Psywave and Shadow Sneak on Gardevoir ever. Hyper Voice (if you have access to it) is better than Moonblast because Pixilate gives a 30% damage boost on top of STAB for the moves it affects.

Pixilate only gives the 30% boost to the Normal moves it converts to Fairy. Mega Gardevoir is mainly used for the higher Speed and special bulk over its normal form:
    -Calm Mind
    -Moonblast/Psychic
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Gardevoirite
    Ability: Trace

To add, Psywave shouldn't be bothered with at all because it does varying fixed damage based on the level on the opponent, hence it doesn't benefit from Calm Mind's Special Attack boost. And Shadow Sneak is incredibly weak coming off of uninvested 65 or 85 Attack. Gallade makes better use of it because of its higher Attack.

Years
  • Is this set ok?

Manetric (Timid, Lightning rod)
    Item: Manetricnite
    Electro ball
    Flamethrower
    Hidden Power Ice
    Subsitute

6Hp/252SpAtk/252Spd

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Is this set ok?

Manetric (Timid, Lightning rod)
    Item: Manetricnite
    Electro ball
    Flamethrower
    Hidden Power Ice
    Subsitute

6Hp/252SpAtk/252Spd

Electro Ball isn't worth using because it doesn't do much against opponents that barely fall short of Manectric's 105/135 Speed. Thunderbolt is still the superior option.

Also, here's Smogon's reason never to use Electro Ball:
    Electro Ball has little to no competitive use. Unless used by exceptionally fast Pokemon on extremely slow targets, the move will often be outdamaged by more reliable choices, such as Thunderbolt or Discharge.

I'm not sure why Sub would be used on something that lacks Leftovers recovery, but here's a better alternative:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Overheat/Flamethrower
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Protect
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    Item: Manectite
    Ability: Lightning Rod

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Got a shiny Diggersby with Pickup (alternatively Cheek Pouch), obviously not that great of an attacker, so any defensive sets to consider?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Got a shiny Diggersby with Pickup (alternatively Cheek Pouch), obviously not that great of an attacker, so any defensive sets to consider?

If I were you, Diggersby shouldn't be bothered with unless it has Huge Power, but if you insist:
    -Spikes (egg move)
    -Earthquake
    -Return
    -Toxic
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
    Item: Leftovers

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • Which Fire would be better Charizard or Pyroar for fire? I know that heatran is best how ever since it cant be RNG at this moment...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Which Fire would be better Charizard or Pyroar for fire? I know that heatran is best how ever since it cant be RNG at this moment...

Charizard is better because of its better move pool in comparison to Pyroar, who has terrible abilities (Moxie is wasted on a special attacker)

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2014
    Moveset help?

Just need help with the moveset of my Talonflame, Vaporeon, and Mega Gengar.
    I heard that Vaporeon can't learn Wish any more, but i really want my Vaporeon to be the medic of the team... is it true? Thanks in advanced! :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Just need help with the moveset of my Talonflame, Vaporeon, and Mega Gengar.
    I heard that Vaporeon can't learn Wish any more, but i really want my Vaporeon to be the medic of the team... is it true? Thanks in advanced! :)

No. Vaporeon can still learn Wish. It can be passed down by chain breeding or having Smeargle Sketch the move:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam/Toxic
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb

Talonflame sets:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -Roost/Will-o-Wisp/Tailwind
    EVs: 192 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/60 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Sky Plate/Sharp Beak
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Will-o-Wisp/Tailwind
    EVs: 192 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/60 Spe
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Gale Wings

Mega Gengar:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast
    -Destiny Bond/Taunt
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Gengarite

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Pixilate only gives the 30% boost to the Normal moves it converts to Fairy.

Yes, thats what I said. :) And since MegaGardevoir has Pixilate, Hyper Voice (117 BP) deals more damage than Moonblast. (If you have access to it. No particular meta was stated.)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back