• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Pokemon game should I get for my 3DS

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2017
    Pokemon Sun / Moon or Omega Ruby / Alpha sapphire? I'm a big fan of the 3rd gen, but again the 7th gen is new.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'd go with Pokemon Sun or Moon if I were you. Since you claim to be a Gen 3 fan, I assume you have already played a Gen 3 game.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Introductory to Mega Evolution, probably go with X or Y. They don't have good storyline and you find league are piece of cake, the trainers are tough bunch. Enjoy 3rd gen, you also enjoy Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire it has more to offer than XY though.Everyone possibly recommend Sun or moon since you find collecting badges are cliche, well try island challenges and trials also stamps are the new badges

Years
  • I'd prioritise getting Sun or Moon, they are the best Pokemon games on the 3DS in my opinion. ORAS is really good too and XY was decent so I think whatever game you end up getting you'll enjoy :3

Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 17, 2021
    I'd definitely say Sun or Moon. They're among the best games in the series. As for OR/AS, quite honestly I think Emerald is a far better game than either.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Sun & Moon for the reasons everyone else said :p
    I like ORAS but Emerald is better in most respects. XY is garbage.

Years
  • Like the others said, Sun & Moon. I do have to warn that it changes up pretty much everything you know about Pokemon games, the most notable being the new Island Trial system that stands in as a substitute for Gyms, with the badges now replaced by Z-Crystals as the main collectable.

The trainers also tend to have smarter AI and actual EV/IV investment, with the Elite Four having maxed EVs/IVs in some stats.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    In light of the Ultra Sun and Moon reveal, I would say that maybe it might be worth choosing a Gen 6 game and then buying an Ultra gen 7? The new games will probably improve on Sun and Moon. I really really liked X (I'm replaying it now) but I think I liked Alpha Sapphire better for its features, especially DexNav (but heads up, for most of the game it's the exact same pokemon as gen 3 games)

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'm not clear on whether UM/US are sequels like BW2, or third versions with minimal changes, so that's something to think about. You may want to wait for more information about those before making your decision, if you haven't already gone and bought a game since making this thread.

Anyway, from what you've said, you're a big fan of gen III, and I think that's worth considering. If you played those games when you were younger, nostalgia is powerful, and I would actually recommend picking up one of the ORAS games first. From your brief initial post, I wonder if you feel like you should get the 7th gen games because they're newer, but really want to experience Hoenn again. And even if there are some superior elements to the newer games (personally, I've enjoyed gen 6 more than gen 7, but that's probably mainly because I haven't gotten to put the time into SuMo and because I tend to like the regular gym formula, which is missing from SuMo), you may find that nostalgia is enough of a factor to tip you into liking ORAS a lot.

So, unlike a lot of other people in this thread, I would say to start with ORAS and get your fill of nostalgia. From there, if you're not huge on gen I references (unlike me), you may want to skip X and Y for now and move on to either Sun or Moon. They're definitely worth playing, but they're different, and balancing a "classic" style Pokemon game with a more unusual one may be fun. From there, if you have the urge after that, go back and fill in the gaps in the series.

The one caveat is if you want to participate in competitive play right away. If you want to start entering tournaments, you'll need a newer game for that (Sun or Moon).

Back