• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: The Follow Me Script

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
This is the new one, but it has literally no way for you to control it via scripts. I'm pretty sure it will also be challenging for a newbie to insert it. I don't really have the time or motivation to update this, but at least it's better than the first one and more readable.

Hi guys! I found a solution!!!! (sorry for my bad english...)
NO ASM, but a simple script, this

'---------------
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @inizio
setvar 0x4050 0x1
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER @mov1
waitmovement 0x0
spritebehave 0xB 0x8
applymovement 0xB @mov2
waitmovement 0x0
end

'-----------
' Movements
'-----------
#org @mov1
#raw 0x10 'Step Down (Normal)
#raw 0xFE 'End of Movements

#org @mov2
#raw 0x11 'Step Up (Normal)
#raw 0x11 'Step Up (Normal)
#raw 0x12 'Step Left (Normal)
#raw 0x0 'Face Down
#raw 0xFE 'End of Movements

The "Person event" that follows the player is n°11 (B in hex).
Without the lockall the ow follows the player in @mov1.
And now we use "spritebehave" to change the "Movement type" from "Copy player" to "Look down" (in this case). With this command we can move the ex follower with @mov2! Try to believe!!! :D

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 26, 2019
Sorry for bumping this but, please, can someone explain how to implement this to me like I'm 5 years old. I'm really not an expert on these kind of things. It'd be really appreciated!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Sorry for bumping this but, please, can someone explain how to implement this to me like I'm 5 years old. I'm really not an expert on these kind of things. It'd be really appreciated!
I'm posting a Yellow Remake hack I've had for awhile that uses this, you can steal my scripts and methods if you want if it gets accepted. :P I actually posted the methods long ago but I think they got lost in all the posts here.

Basically the method is:
1. Get the followme patched on to your game. Don't use the one that auto-spawns followers near you, if that's still around, just the one with the altered copy player behavior.
2. Put the follower or followers on maps you want it to be on with the Copy Player behavior.
3. Put a summoning/desummoning script to hide or unhide follower(s) as needed.

It's an extreme pain in the ass to use scripts due to the monotony of spamming it, and I've been getting a lot better at ASM (I hack Yellow now after all >_>), so I had thoughts about trying to maybe finish the routines here, but I think that's still slightly above my level because it's one thing to hack ASM when you can see the source code and how it all fits together and another to hack it when you are staring at a giant hexadecimal blob.... kudos to people who are good at that though.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 21, 2017
Hi,
(Sorry if the topic is old and please discare my english)
I'm dev and I would like to add a followme/caterpillar script in thunder yellow.
So I was reading a lot of things and I found that making the script can be easy... the problem remains in the trigger, if you want the pokemon follows you from a map to another... no matter happens in the game.
Then why we can't trigger the follow me script including it on the map loader ?
So, when the map is loaded the pokemons follows you...
That's an example, the idea remains on modifying game spammed scripts to call the follow me script automatically.
I mean, I don't know everything about rom scripts, but I think it can fix the problem.
I hope this topic will be updated soon :) really interesting one

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 26, 2019
1. Get the followme patched on to your game. Don't use the one that auto-spawns followers near you, if that's still around, just the one with the altered copy player behavior.
Haha, I really meant that this should be explained to me like I'm five years old :P. Kinda got stuck in the first step. How exactly do I patch the game? And how do I use python to compile? Sorry for bumping this thread. Again. Hopefully this isn't too much offtopic, I really don't know where to ask this kind of stuff.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Haha, I really meant that this should be explained to me like I'm five years old :P. Kinda got stuck in the first step. How exactly do I patch the game? And how do I use python to compile? Sorry for bumping this thread. Again. Hopefully this isn't too much offtopic, I really don't know where to ask this kind of stuff.

The command is literately 'compile filenamehere.py', if I remember right. I assume you looked/googled up a 101 Python tutorial and know how to get it to run from the command terminal? If not, it would be a good skill to learn, and I noticed you failed to provide any information about what part of compiling you were having trouble with so I'm going to assume you didn't try. I faintly remember mine being a little annoying because my old windows didn't automagically know where my python path was when I first installed it and I had to set that by hand, but maybe that won't happen for you. Google/duckduckgo/yahoo is your friend.

My memory is a bit poor because it's been a long time (several years since I actually used it, gosh), but if you google 'compile python' you'll find more information, and I could've sworn there was a little bit of information in the original followme github or something. I'm prettty sure you also need devkitarm.

However, if you don't mind having the locations chosen for you of where the data is inserted, I think I have an ips somewhere that already has it patched... or at least I have an ips for some reason called 'followme'. And of course my FireYellow has it, which has a fair bit of empty space and you can modify if you want (and will save you the effort of throwing down 8 million spams if you reuse the maps even slightly, although honestly most of that work might be avoidable by some kind of map script - the big problem is that you have to despawn a follower to prevent duplicates and I don't think one of the map script types is 'on map leave', only 'on map enter', so followspam may be the best thou can do). The only thing you need to know about FireYellow is I lazily replaced some ??? pokemon so don't use those in the wild.

You might also just wait for the emerald, ruby or firered disassembly to be finished, I personally find disassemblies much easier to work with, and then it would just be a question of including the code probably, and it would be much easier for the average person (or above average? average people seem to struggle with basic programming sometimes...) to do something like modify warp scripts to call a spawn then.

OK, got the ips. I give no guarantees of the quality as I haven't looked at this in ages.

Hi,
(Sorry if the topic is old and please discare my english)
I'm dev and I would like to add a followme/caterpillar script in thunder yellow.
So I was reading a lot of things and I found that making the script can be easy... the problem remains in the trigger, if you want the pokemon follows you from a map to another... no matter happens in the game.
Then why we can't trigger the follow me script including it on the map loader ?
So, when the map is loaded the pokemons follows you...
That's an example, the idea remains on modifying game spammed scripts to call the follow me script automatically.
I mean, I don't know everything about rom scripts, but I think it can fix the problem.
I hope this topic will be updated soon :) really interesting one

Hey, same as part of what I said above. The problem is that with followspam, any replacement via putting in map headers instead currently would have to either somehow know only to call when map is entered by warp, or know to despawn on map leave, and I don't remember a 'script on map leave' option.
When/if the disassemblies are ever finished though, I may take a stab at completing this myself. Alternatively, if you want to be a bit goofy, you could make a game where the only map entries are from warps/buildings. Then you could indeed probably get away with just one map header script to spawn, since warping auto-despawns the follower. I've actually contemplated doing this for really short/oddball games that take place in one massive dungeon.

edit: I apologize for editing this again, but it just occurred to me that I faintly remember there was a 'call sprite from other map' /clonespritefromothermap or some such command that might work, but I never learned how to use it /what parameters it accepted, and have no idea if it would actually perform as desired or if it too would end up endlessly cloning the same sprite on map entry.

Attachments

• followme.ips
    785 bytes · Views: 74
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Dec 10, 2022
Hello, I found a hack of fire red uses that recreates pokemon yellow including the pikachu that follows you, it has a small error with the presumptions and they put them solid, apart when entering the abitation of Red it disappears, so I suspect that it is a script on the map, in the style of the battle against the champion, try to open the rom with Advance map 1.95 and 1.92 and it won't leave me, I think the creator blocked AMap, seeing what is written in this discussion probably also has ASM and commands like Faceplayer , in something like if the player goes up and immediately walks to the side goes up two boxes and then faceplayer, in any case perhaps data mining is our best option, the hack is called Pokémon Thunder Yellow.

Note: Sorry use the google translator.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 27, 2022

Based from Touched's Follow me ASM+Touched NPC Sprite switch. Works well. But...

What I wanna happen is to make the NPC to follow you at the begining even if you took a quick detour from a different direction into another map. While I found a workaround, when you take one step into another map, she follows you but it bugs out if you rapidly press a lot. Anyone knows how to control the NPC follower the copy player movement at mapstart?

Last edited:
Back