• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon Go Footage

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Looks more impressive than I was expecting. This... actually looks like a real Pokemon game. Kind of makes me a little cautious because it's going to be free, and something of what appears to be of this quality being free means they might try to put in a lot of that DLC money-milking type stuff they love to put in phone games. But I'm probably just being presumptuous.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I'm enjoying it so far but of course I can't really judge until I can have it on my own phone with myself playing it. They will definitely be doing some polishing before it's release, so I do hope they polish up the motion-tracking a bit more.
    Though I'm excited to see some official things shown and announced hopefully in the coming months.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I'm enjoying it so far

For a sec I thought this meant you had some insider information. Like you'd being playing a beta somehow. Silly me :p

I'm really psyched for this. It's gonna kill my battery though.

Last edited:

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Im not too impressed but this is still not complete footage, I want to see how battles are done and how easy it is to find and catch and level pokemon, teach them moves and so on.

I hope they don't mess up on their first mobile game although id still love main series games of some sort to be officially released on mobile.

drfaustfaustus

Not a real doctor
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2018
    So Niantic finally released a "first look," and I can't say I'm very happy about what it implies.
    Players will explore their surroundings to find and catch wild Pokémon. Certain wild Pokémon only appear in their native environments; for example, Water-type Pokémon may only appear near lakes and oceans.
    Alright, that's pretty rad, but this we already knew.

Players will walk to hatch previously-acquired eggs that might reveal new Pokémon. Eggs and other special items such as Poké Balls can be acquired at PokéStops - located at interesting places such as public art installations, historical markers, museums and monuments.
    Oh, sweet, a working Egg system. I can dig it. As for PokeStops - Pokemarts maybe? Not sure why they'd rename it, but alright.

Yes, there will be battles.
    Okay, calm down there, sassy.

Players will be encouraged to join one of three teams in order to compete over the ownership and prestige of Gyms. They will do this by placing their captured Pokémon in a friendly Gym or by battling with an opponent's Pokémon in another team's Gym. Gyms - just like PokéStops - are also found at real world locations.
    Wait - so these... "battles" are just... idle fort defense? Put X Pokemon here and wait for your fort to be attacked. Like... Ingress Portals? Again? Er... so I guess this means there are no wild Pokemon battles.

There was some more info on the Pokemon website, too.

Once you've encountered a Pokemon, take aim on your smartphone's touch screen and throw a Poke Ball to catch it.
    So, no wild Pokemon battles, once again.

If you catch the same species of Pokemon enough times, you'll get the opportunity to evolve one of them.
    You're kidding, right? So no actual training your Pokemon. It's looking like it's just a "collect X" game, and that detracts from the value of each individual Pokemon.

So far, this is looking like something went completely wrong. Either Niantic is missing the entire point of Pokemon, or GameFreak/Nintendo is being SO tight on them that they literally have no choice but to make this game a reskin of Ingress. The field test in Japan is supposed to start soon, so hopefully we'll have more exciting info then. Otherwise, I don't see this game succeeding very much.

Years
  • I've never been impressed with Go and still am not. Doesn't look that great to me. I know this footage isn't final but... eh. Might skip this one.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2017
    So Niantic finally released a "first look," and I can't say I'm very happy about what it implies.

-

Wait - so these... "battles" are just... idle fort defense? Put X Pokemon here and wait for your fort to be attacked. Like... Ingress Portals? Again? Er... so I guess this means there are no wild Pokemon battles.

-

So, no wild Pokemon battles, once again.

You're kidding, right? So no actual training your Pokemon. It's looking like it's just a "collect X" game, and that detracts from the value of each individual Pokemon.

So far, this is looking like something went completely wrong. Either Niantic is missing the entire point of Pokemon, or GameFreak/Nintendo is being SO tight on them that they literally have no choice but to make this game a reskin of Ingress. The field test in Japan is supposed to start soon, so hopefully we'll have more exciting info then. Otherwise, I don't see this game succeeding very much.

Exactly what I thought.
    As seen in the leaked video, pokemons have no level, so they just... remain the same forever and woo I caught it and that's it.
    How exactly should I feel like a trainer if I can't, you know... train them?
    Evolution system doesn't make any sense, and the gyms system is underwhelming.

Just speculation but they probably also don't have moves, and that would mean, automatic battles just based on type and hp.

Honestly I expected better from all this.

Back