• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: "L'art pour l'art" - DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
  • I got Manga Studio 5 and am training to use it currently. I wish I'd taken to drawing when I was younger. I'm sad it's taken me 19 years to get into it.

As for critique, I love extensive and thorough critique which clearly shows me what is bad and how I can improve it. Anything that doesn't give me ways to improve I generally disregard, but it always stings. Eventually though, you build some tough skin. You just gotta bear with it

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • An extra $100 voucher to the art shop I go to for supplies. Literally I got that from people last year and I didn't have to spend any money on notebooks or art tools all year which was really good.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • i like to use pencil because it is easy to use. But the drawings would be messy so i need to clean it often. After drawing I will scan and edit the drawing by computer.

Digital arts are great too. They just enhance the effect so the drawing looks even appeal.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hey guys! Just so you know A&D now has its own Skype chat! So make sure to come get involved so we can all chat together about art! :)

Feel free to add me or ask any of the A&D regulars already in the chat for an invite. Just let me know who you are first. :3
    songlikemay

Skip Class

Years
  • Also feel free to add me (username: zappyspiker) too and I can add you if Fairy or any of the others aren't there to add you! - Let me know you're from A&D so I know it's you. (Fairy, Nina, Aiden - don't know if you want us to post the direct link to the chat yet.)

We'd really love to get to know you guys outside of your art and galleries and talk you all more often c:

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • *** skype didnt recognize my sig in.... well skype web version is available to access which is kinds weird...

anyways my ID is Chan wei Han with a kinda weird red shirt guy over there.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Poor DCC, this baby needs a little love! I know we're all so very excited about the A&D skype chat, but we gotta manage to squeeze a little forum chatting in here too! ;)

So what has everyone been up to?

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • Working Dying and Sleeping come on I wanna draw something.....

Maybe back to school arts! Draw a beautiful flower with colour maybe.... If I have colour pencil : A :)

Last edited:

Skip Class

Years
  • Mentally crying over the Weekly Pixel Challenge xD How you people even pixel on a regular basis blows my mind.
    This and exciting skype chat distracted me from finishing my artists interview haha, so I'll post that when I get up tomorrow.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I've working on a large project-- a mock Fighting Game character select screen and I've got 25/40 busts done...! o)-< The lineart, anyway...

Also eyeing that pixel challenge and just wondering whether or not I'm too rusty to attempt using only four colors. Sounds rough. LOL

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • Well I will held an art challenge which is quite general. Anyone can join and you can use any kind of art as long it follows the theme. It will last for two weeks.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I am banging myself over the head as I try to make myself do art in spite of intense lack of confidence or motivation. The problem is that I feel like I've hit this... weird block spot. Particularly whenever I try to create a design for my own original series. Picking out the colors, making sure the anatomy is good and that I don't hate the characters, dynamic poses, and... trying to make something out of nothing when you literally have no ability to see things in your head before you draw them (yes, I don't have a visual imagination)... almost makes me feel like I'm not cut out for visual expression.

So I'm just sketching some fanart of some humans with heavily referenced poses for practice, inspiration, and to try to show myself that I can do things. It's been kind of working so far. Also helps that I decided to go back to pencil and paper for the sketching stage. Digital sketching... well, it's been feeling more and more clunky, and I think I need the limitation of not being able to fix my mistakes so much to force myself to move on and get a good basis. (Which I will then fix the errors on the computer and color.)

Also, I am contemplating posting another thread here... but eh. The thing I find with posting art threads in any forums these days is that you barely get any responses. And I am not too much a fan of criticism from others what with how harsh I already am on myself. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I am banging myself over the head as I try to make myself do art in spite of intense lack of confidence or motivation. The problem is that I feel like I've hit this... weird block spot. Particularly whenever I try to create a design for my own original series. Picking out the colors, making sure the anatomy is good and that I don't hate the characters, dynamic poses, and... trying to make something out of nothing when you literally have no ability to see things in your head before you draw them (yes, I don't have a visual imagination)... almost makes me feel like I'm not cut out for visual expression.

So I'm just sketching some fanart of some humans with heavily referenced poses for practice, inspiration, and to try to show myself that I can do things. It's been kind of working so far. Also helps that I decided to go back to pencil and paper for the sketching stage. Digital sketching... well, it's been feeling more and more clunky, and I think I need the limitation of not being able to fix my mistakes so much to force myself to move on and get a good basis. (Which I will then fix the errors on the computer and color.)

Also, I am contemplating posting another thread here... but eh. The thing I find with posting art threads in any forums these days is that you barely get any responses. And I am not too much a fan of criticism from others what with how harsh I already am on myself. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.

I know this feeling all too well, sadly. I think every artist has moments where their motivation, atmosphere, ability, and confidence don't meet up and everything feels just... wrong. I think the big take away here should be that it's normal for that to happen! It's natural that sometimes you'd feel off about your art, and it sounds like you're proactively using strategies to combat the apathy. Just keep at it, you'll find your motivation again. :)

As for posting a thread here, it's understandable. Especially if you're sensitive to criticisms and replies are hard to come by. Obviously it would be great if you decide to contribute your artwork, but if not just remember that there are plenty of other ways to share. <3;
    Though I did check out your DA and it's very good!

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Alrighty guys here's the deal: I need to go away for a while, to start getting out there and doing stuff with my life. As such, I'm stepping down as mod, and wont be around at all really for two weeks from now, but potentially for much longer. I've had a great time seeing this section grow and my time as mod was great, even though it was fairly short lived. But I'm super confident that this section will keep growing as it has been, and that even more cool and creative things will appear.

Later A&D ~

Skip Class

Years
  • Aiden we're gonna miss you very much! You've done so much for this section, it definitely would not be where it is without you. Poke your head in once in a while :pp there shall always be a special place here for our "Art Uncle" (Fairy & Nina, 2016).
    All the best and hoping all things goes well for your busy life!
    message me if you ever move to a better timezone jkjk

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back