• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

CCleaner compromised to distribute malware

string555

Banned
Years
And, more importantly: Are the programs that we use every day considered safe anymore? With more applications' official sources becoming infected, is this the last time that this will happen? Or could it happen to another program (Say, VLC Media Player), which would lead to even larger breaches?

It's definitely not the last time it will happen. I guess if it can't be prevented from happening, the next best measure is detecting the infection as early as possible.

Or just write your own tools/programs, then you won't have to worry about it as much. :P

Years
Yep, saw the news today as well earlier. They stated that 5.34 will be completely safe, but many people already ditched it and won't believe anything. Such a shame, I didn't use it often but was always happy with it. Checked my drives, and there was no malware.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
And, more importantly: Are the programs that we use every day considered safe anymore?
It depends on the program, open source programs will less likely become infected.

Let's not forget that safety of the OS is important as well because if the OS itself is infected, it doesn't matter what programs you're using. E.g. Windows 10 can be considered infected because it has spyware features.

Last edited:
Back