• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your favourite aspect of ROM hacking?

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Some of us have shared our most hated/dreaded ROM hacking task in this thread, now it's time to talk about our favourites!

Our hobby is a great one because of all the fun things there are to do in combination... including but not limited to: writing an interesting story, designing your very own region, creating unique characters, planning memorable moments, constructing beautiful maps for players to explore and generally letting your imagination run wild.

I'd say I like scripting most of all. Nothing beats spending time writing long and complicated scripts to create a particular event you'd imagined, testing it and watching it be brought to life in-game exactly as you intended! I also have a lot of fun planning things down to the last detail, noting down every thought and idea to refer back to.

Which ROM hacking aspect do you enjoy doing most, and why?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I love building mechanics! I used to be an Essentials guy, but after getting the chance to experiment with decomps I've come to realize that I can have just as much fun on the ROM hacking side of things (and with less lag!) For me, there's nothing quite like coming up with a small theme and exploring all the different ways you can take it.

Years
  • It's scripting for sure. Yes, it requires precision and you have no right to make a mistake when writing scripts, but when you finish a script and it works exactly how you imagined it in-game it's just a joy to watch.

Back