Age 22
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
324 posts
1.2 Years

OP idea stolen from Juno here | Pixel Art Background by Waneella
Verbatim adapted from SerenesForest Forums

Welcome to the Pokemon Draft Challenge! In a nutshell, a Pokemon draft is... "A pool of characters is established, several people enter and take turns picking characters, then play through the game with only those characters." If any of you are familiar with Fire Emblem drafts or drafting tournaments, a Pokemon Draft is essentially the same thing but with a different game!

What is a Snake Draft?

This challenge will follow the Snake Draft rules, which ensures no one has a huge advantage or disadvantage for being first or last within the draft order.
  • The essence of the draft is... count the number of contestants, say the last number twice, and go back around.
  • An example draft order would be [1, 2, 3, 4 | 4, 3, 2, 1 | 1, 2, 3, 4 | 4, 3, 2, 1...], each number represents a single player and each section divided by a | represents a round within the draft.
  • Ideally, all draftees would coordinate time zones and draft at the same time. However, drafting can also be done via PMs and players should be given a 24-hour notice to draft a Pokemon before you randomly select a Pokemon for them.
  • DM me or check out this website if you are still confused.

Rules

General Rules
  • Groups should have at least 4-6 people (potentially 8 for games with a larger Pokedex such as X/Y). If you do not have a group, you may sign up as a free agent.
  • Everyone plays the same game (doesn't have to be the same version, feel free to pick RomHacks as well). Groups should come to a consensus on the game before drafting.
  • Once a Pokemon is drafted, it is banned for everyone else.
  • All undrafted Pokemon are banned for everyone.
  • All Pokemon must be caught in-game, you may not hack in or trade over any Pokemon, eggs, or items at all.
  • Trading is ONLY allowed for trade evolutions. If you are playing on an emulator, you may use a save editor / universal randomizer to help them evolve (only if you meet the requirements in the first place).
  • All Uber and Mythical Pokemon are banned from use.
  • HM Slaves are allowed but, they may not be used in battle.
  • When your group has finished drafting, post the results here! This thread may also be used to log your progress as well.

Questions to Answer as a Group
  • Competitive or Casual? (If competitive, all players must report their final game times to make it into the Hall of Fame)
  • Will starters be free?
  • How many Pokemon will each person draft? (I recommend 8-10)
  • Will you allow Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, or Dyna/Gigantamax?
  • Will you ban any additional Pokemon?
  • Will branch evolutions be drafted separately or together? (For example... if someone drafts Vileplume, another person can draft Bellossom if they want)
  • For SwSh, will you include DLC Pokemon?
  • What is the end-game point of the run?

Draft Variations
  • SOYO (Screw Over Your Opponent) - Draft for the participant in front / behind you, with the intent of making it harder for them to reach the end goal.
  • Knickerbocker - Each participant will nominate a person outside the group to draft for them.
  • Ban 1, Draft 1 - Idea courtesy of Janp... It's essentially what it means, each person bans 1 Pokemon and drafts 1 Pokemon each round (perfect for games with large Pokedexes to increase the stakes)

Sign-Up Forms

Group Sign-Up

[B]All Participant's Forum Names -[/B]
[B]Game -[/B]
[B]Casual or Competitive? - [/B]

Free Agent Sign-Up

[B]Forum Name -[/B]
[B]Discord Name -[/B] If Applicable
[B]Games Interested in Drafting -[/B]
[B]Casual or Competitive? - [/B]
[B]Timezone -[/B]
[B]Availability -[/B]

Resources

Below are master lists of every Pokemon obtained in the game (post-game Pokemon outside of G/S/C/HG/SS and Colosseum were omitted, DLC Pokemon in SwSh included) arranged by region and ordered by earliest availability. Feel free to use them as reference or as check-off lists.

| | | |
| | |

~happy drafting!~

Age 22
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
324 posts
1.2 Years

Free Agents

Challengers

Casual

X / Y
Simply Dunsparce -
Pok3pals -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Competitive

Champions

Casual

X / Y
Kostucha -
Smotemotem -
Janp -
Wuzzy -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Competitive

Janp

Age 24
They/Them
Czech Republic
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
4,724 posts
8.4 Years
This looks really great. I hope the thread is ready.

And here's my free agent sign-up
Forum Name - Janp
Discord Name - Janp#1785
Games Interested in Drafting - FRLG, HGSS, RSE, ORAS, BW, DPPt, B2W2, XY, Sun or Ultra Moon.
Timezone - GMT+2
Availability - I should be available through most of the day. But if I have to put a time, I would say around 20:00 GMT+2 would be ideal.

Simply Dunsparce

Male
The Middle of Nowhere
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
Forum Name - Simply Dunsparce
Discord Name - LeanYeenMachine#6229
Games Interested in Drafting - Most games from gens 4-7
Timezone - GMT-5
Availability - Given that school starts back up for me next week, I won't be as available as I usually am, but on most days I should be available at 17:00 GMT-5
"Fire the kitten cannon!"
"Meow!"
Age 22
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
324 posts
1.2 Years
hi hi, thread was pretty unfinished but I did update it quite a bit...
Anyways this update include,
  • Added the Pokemon master lists under "Resources"
  • Added the Hall of Fame
  • Added a new question in the sign up form (Casual or Competitive?), feel free to update your sign up form with the new question if you want to ^^
  • Added 2 variations of the draft
  • General formatting changes
  • Changed some of the wording
  • Changed banner title

My free agent sign up form... I'll be forming groups in another post below

Forum Name - Wuzzy
Discord Name - Wuzzy#4096
Games Interested in Drafting - Any game outside of Hoenn/Galar
Casual or Competitive? - Either
Timezone - GMT-8 (PST)
Availability - Anytime after 12pm
Age 22
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
324 posts
1.2 Years
Spoiler:
-snip-
-snip-
-snip
-snip-
-snip-

All 5 of us will be in the same draft group.
The game choices based on everyone's interests are narrowed down to

HGSS, BW, DPPt, B2W2, XY, Sun/Moon, Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon

I'll be contacting all of you guys soon!
Seen January 12th, 2021
Posted September 26th, 2020
49 posts
8.6 Years
Ooooh, can I get in on this too?

I've wanted to make a draft-style team for a while, but have only seen it employed for PVP, rather than a story mode playthrough.

Smotemotem
FacewithGlasses#3369
Any Main Series Game
Either, but leaning Competitive
GMT-5
Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri, Sat afternoons tend to be best for me. (After 4:30 p.m. my time, which I think is 9:30 p.m. GMT)
Seen January 12th, 2021
49 posts
8.6 Years
I was excited to get in and start playing, so I went ahead and challenged the first gym.

Chapter 1
Spoiler:
My draft strategy was to get a basic sense of which types were most effective for the gyms & the elite four battles in this game, and to try to get at least one Pokemon of the top 10 types, or so. However, the roster is so huge in this game, I was able to get basically everything, except the types I intentionally excluded. I wanted an Azumarill, but that's the only Pokemon that was claimed in the draft, off my shortlist. I was last seed, which meant I got to pick two Pokemon at a time. My first & second pick were Piloswine (since ground and ice seem to be good types throughout the game) and Fletchling (since flying seemed to be a solid type to take into the bug gym).

By the final round, I had picked a Pokemon of every type I was interested in using, so I just picked Chespin, for the type synergy with Fletchling. Funny enough, the strat that defeated Viola was leading with my Chespin and just hitting "Rollout" at the start of the fight. I had Fletchling in my party, but I didn't have to even use him.

Here's the team so far. My naming scheme is "Toho Kaiju".

Chespin (M) - "Anguirus"
Lv. 14
Overgrow - Sassy
Tackle / Bite / Vine Whip / Rollout

Fletchling (M) - " Rodan"
Lv. 13
Big Pecks - Adamant
Tackle / Growl / Quick Attack / Peck

Current Team
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted July 24th, 2021
803 posts
2.3 Years

Draft Challenge Start!
Synopsis
So starting the challenge I caught my first member which was Zigzagoon. I chose it due to not having the trouble of catching another Pokemon for the sole purpose of making them use HMs. So better to draft it and possibly even use it rather than it just being a waste of a spot that I can't even use in battle. Anyhow I leveled him up to around level 8. Once I reached Route 3 I caught a Dunsparce and I drafted it for two early reasons. Rage and Rollout. And Dunsparce, I believe, is quite tanky so it's rage would do a significant amount of damage. Anyhow the gym battle was somewhat of a breeze. I built up Rollouts, however it missed the first Rollout against Vivillon so...yeah. But first badge acquired!

Team:

Nature
Lax
Moveset:
-Growl
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Headbutt
Held Item:
N/A
Level:
Ability:
Gluttony
Stats:
HP: 30
Attack: 13
Defense: 15
Special Attack: 14
Special Defense: 12
Speed: 18

Nature
Jolly
Moveset:
-Rage
-Pursuit
-Rollout
-Spite
Held Item:
N/A
Level:
Ability:
Serene Grace
Stats:
HP: 46
Attack: 22
Defense: 23
Special Attack: 18
Special Defense: 19
Speed: 17

Badges: 1/8

Simply Dunsparce

Male
The Middle of Nowhere
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
Draft Challenge Update 1

At the start of the challenge I picked up my first team member Bunnelby. I chose Bunnelby mostly because I hadn't used it before and wanted to see how it would turn out. Although the first couple battles were a bit tricky due to her being a bit under-leveled, I eventually able to get her up to a reasonable level, and handled most of the fights relatively well. Viola took a couple tries to beat due to Vivillon being a bit more defensive than I had expected, but with the help of some x-items I was able to beat her, earning my first badge.

Team:
Bunnelby (F) - Jane
Lv. 13
Cheek Pouch
Tackle/Agility/Mud-slap/Quick Attack

Badges: 1/8
"Meow!"
Age 22
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
324 posts
1.2 Years
Update #1
Wuzzy -

Spoiler:
Actually started my run last night but I decided to play a lil' bit more before writing up this update...

Anyways, this is actually my first time playing Pokemon X/Y sooooo I went into this semi-blind (I knew the gym leader rosters and wild pokemon but that was it). Didn't really have a drafting strategy, I really just picked mons I have never used before and that I was interested in using.

I started with Fennekin because even though Delphox is kind of cursed, this guy won't ever be evolving so it'll stay as a cute Fennekin. Had to ninja through a bunch of trainers within Santalune Forest because I wanted to save exp for Azurill. Azurill took a bit since I wanted one with Huge Power and it took like 4 tries to get one eventually. Azurill wasn't that bad to grind up honestly, it just took a while because everything was like a 10-hko but the trainers loved spamming Growl or Play Nice.

Didn't think I'd run into any trouble until I hit Route 22 and had to face a trainer with a Psyduck/Litleo with just an Azurill. Since she was blocking the nearest grass patch which housed my next encounter, Litleo, I had to just go for it and try and beat her with Azurill. With a lot of patience and luck, I somehow beat her by spamming Bubble and Potions (got lucky with speed drops and crits). This made me wish that I had drafted an early Normal-type to help me get through the early game and just replace it later. Reason I chose Azurill was because I assumed it learned Pound (I swore it did) and wouldn't be that difficult to train to Marill but, I was wrong. Anyways, after I caught my Litleo, I went ahead and challenged Viola's gym which was very easy. Despite Viola's Surskit having the type advantage over Litleo, after 2 Work Ups and a Potion, Litleo was able to OHKO Surskit with Headbutt and take down Vivillon with Ember to help me secure the Bug Badge.

In Route 4, had to ninja more trainers because I wanted to snag the TM for Return from Dexio at the Lumiose City gate, which made training Azurill a whole lot easier. After beating Professor Sycamore, I chose Bulbasaur mainly because it can learn Cut and I didn't feel like catching another HM slave. Again, more ninja-ing trainers in Route 5 (except Tierno because he's forced) because I was kind of over-leveled and wanted to save those trainers for Honedge. Made it to Camphier Town and then had to take a detour to the Parfum Palace. At Route 6, I caught my 3rd encounter being Honedge which I have big hopes for since I like Aegislash and went to battle the trainers I avoided to level it up. Inside the Palace, I got the HM for Cut and saved the wandering Furfrou.

Team
Spoiler:

Aluette @
Lvl 16 | Huge Power | Gentle
- Return
- Bubblebeam
- Charm
- Tail Whip

Veis @
Lvl 17 | Unnerve | Gentle
- Ember
- Headbutt
- Work Up
- Play Nice

Luso @
Lvl 14 | No Guard | Adamant
- Return
- Fury Cutter
- Pursuit
- Swords Dance

Janp

Age 24
They/Them
Czech Republic
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
4,724 posts
8.4 Years

The Draft Challenge in Pokémon X

PART 1

Okay, let's start.

I let others draft my Pokémon and didn't tell them what Pokémon I like or dislike, just to see if they will draft strong or weak Pokémon for me. And to be honest, I'm really satisfied with the draft. There are one of my most favourite Pokémon and also one of my most disliked Pokémon. So, before I start, let's look at my picks:

My first drafted Pokémon was Riolu. Lucario is my most disliked Pokémon. But I actually used it in my very first playthrough of Y and it was probably the worst Pokémon to use in Kalos. Fighting-type isn't really a good pick for Kalos, due to Fairy-types and Lucario doesn't even have a good Steel-type move to make usage of its secondary typing. And Megas are banned. Yeah, not touching it at all. Or at least will try not to touch it, because I might need Riolu to beat Grant. And now that I'm writing this, I'm considering giving it a second chance. Depends on how well it will do.

This is perfect Pokémon for first Gym. I'm not sure if I'll use it after it that much, but it might make a cut to final E4 team.

I'm not a fan of Eeveelutions, but for some reason, Vaporeon is one of my most used Pokémon in recent years. It's just that useful. I'll take it. I don't think I can get Water Stone before facing Grant, which will make that fight a little bit harder.

Now we're talking. In recent months, Rotom got to my TOP3 favourite Ghost-types. I just hope I won't spend the whole week just hunting it, since it can only be caught on Tuesday. This means I'll either have to play slowly until the next Tuesday or play quickly through the game today and tomorrow and get Rotom on this Tuesday.

I'm not sure if this was intentionally, but female Nidoran was my very first Pokémon and I will gladly use it again every time. And this also reminded me that I wanted to solo Kalos with Nidoqueen for years now.

Speaking of soloing, I jokingly said I'll solo this run with Scatterbug. But I love this draft, so it would be shame not to use full team. Anyway, I haven't used Vivillon yet and I'm sucker for butterfly Pokémon, so I'll be using this one too.

I just used Solrock in my other run. I'll gladly use its sibling in this run. Plus it might help be get through Grant. Psychic/Rock-type is interesting typing too. I wonder how useful it will be.

I like Vileplume. But it's also probably the last Grass or Poison-type Kanto Pokémon I would choose. I don't recall there being a need to Grass-type early in the game, so I think Vileplume will be another Pokémon I'll be dropping from my final team.

You remember when I talked about my TOP3 Ghost-types? Well, Litwick is in my TOP5. There is no way Gardevoir will get through 2 Ghost-types.

And that's my opinion for my draft. Like I said, I really like it and can't wait to try them all.
Seen January 12th, 2021
49 posts
8.6 Years
@janp - I'm surprised to hear that you don't like Riolu / Lucario, but I'm glad you got some stuff you wanted. We thought that would be a good pick, because that's the Pokemon of choice for speed runners, in XY. Then again, that may be heavily dependent upon the mega stone.

Chapter 2
Spoiler:
I forgot that Ralts was on route 4, so I didn't have her on my team for the Sycamore fight. I took Squirtle from him, in case I need a HM buddy who can surf, later on. I boxed him and went out to catch Scraggy & Ralts. I trained those two together, slowly pushing forward as I was able. I gave Ralts the nickname "Dogora," and I gave Scraggy the nickname "Gabara". I picked up my Tyrunt and named him "Gorosaurus", shortly before taking on Grant. The pacing of this game, at the start, is bizarre. I have no idea why it takes four to five hours to get from the first gym to the second gym, but we finally made it. Gabara was able to solo the Grant fight, due to good typing and Moxie.

Anguirus is solid. No complaints here, and I can fall back on him if things start to go south.
Rodan also seems pretty good, but it's odd that his attacks are about half-and-half physical to special, so far.
Dogora is really struggling. I know she will be good, later on, but she's more "glass" than "cannon" right now.
Gabara is fantastic, but I'm having to play around that 4x fairy weakness, which is a common threat in Kalos.
Gorosaurus has good bulk, but his move set is quite limited, right now.

Quilladin (M) - "Anguirus"
Lv. 27
Overgrow - Sassy
Rock Tomb/ Bite / Needle Arm / Shadow Claw

Fletchinder (M) - "Rodan"
Lv. 27
Flame Body - Adamant
Ember / Razor Wind / Quick Attack / Peck

Kirlia (F) - "Dogora"
Lv. 23
Synchronize - Bashful
Return / Confusion / Magical Leaf / Teleport

Scraggy (F) - "Gabara"
Lv. 25
Moxie - Hasty
Headbutt / Brick Break / Rock Tomb / Feint Attack

Tyrunt (M) - "Gorosaurus"
Lv. 24
Strong Jaw - Jolly
Strength / Rock Tomb / Bite / Return

Current Team
Age 22
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
324 posts
1.2 Years
Update #2
Wuzzy -

Kind of want to talk about my picks like what Janp did soooo...
Spoiler:

As mentioned in my first update, I thought Azurill would be fine to train because of Huge Power + Pound but it turns out it doesn't learn Pound. I also thought it'll learn Aqua Jet and Play Rough but, Aqua Jet is an egg move and Play Rough comes very late which was unfortunate. Either way, I chose Azurill because I've never used it as a hybrid Fairy-type yet. Since Azumarill is a great mon in general and evolves early, I expect it to be a consistent powerhouse during this entire run.

Always wanted to use Pyroar since I like its design and thought since X/Y is the only game it joins before the Elite 4 that I should draft it. I assumed Litleo would evolve early and it turns out it evolves at Lvl 35 which isn't too bad but, it wasn't what I was expecting. I think Pyroar would be a good mon but, I expect Litleo to struggle around the Lvl 20-30 part.

Honedge I have very high hopes for. Aegislash is one of my favorite Ghost types and it's also really strong to boot. While Honedge evolves late-ish like Litleo, I think that it's typing and access to Swords Dance plus TMs like Return and Shadow Claw will allow it to survive as a Honedge until it evolves (especially with the Eviolite). Definitely have really high expectations for it.

Nidorino I drafted for a Ground-type that I wouldn't mind using, as I'm not a huge fan of any of the Ground-types honestly (except like Gastrodon). Not sure how Nidorino will fare, it really depends on the TMs I get since Nidorino doesn't really have a great level up move pool. But, Shalour City has Poison Jab and Dig TMs and I can get a Moon Stone in the Reflection Cave soooo... I think it'll be good.

Another mon I've always wanted to use but was just unable to. Not sure how Jynx will fare since I usually don't use late-game Pokemon in any of the Pokemon games I've played (I think the latest mon I've ever used was Mimikyu in Pokemon Sun). For now Jynx is a big ? on how it'll be in the run.

Not entirely sure why I drafted the mon, I assumed I drafted it because I thought Azumarill would get Aqua Jet and Play Rough early (which isn't the case) and it wouldn't have slots for Surf (and later on Waterfall). Of the Water-types, Gorebyss was the one that I was the most interested in using since I've never used it before and I just like Gorebyss in general. I doubt Gorebyss will see much use honestly, it really just depends on how much it impresses me once I get it.

Hawlucha seemed like a cool mon and I feel like it's necessary since my team is very slow as of now. Think it'll be a great Pokemon especially with Power-Up-Punch and Acrobatics to sweep teams though, not sure how it'll fare in the late game since set up opportunities tend to be a lot more limited.

I felt that I needed a Grass-type since my matchup against Siebold is really poor, and of the available Grass-types I chose Weepinbell because I've never used it and I was interested in using it.

I chose Murkrow mainly because I realized I was missing a mon that could do Sky Battles and I like Honchkrow as a mon but, I found out that Dusk Stones are very limited and the earliest one I get (in Laverre City) will be going to Doublade. I really don't think I'm going to use Murkrow since the next Dusk Stone comes very late and it is pretty underleveled when you catch it, so I guess no sky battles for me.

Spoiler:
Made some more progress over the past few days...

After getting the PokeFlute and knocking out the Snorlax (I really tried to save it but it would not cooperate), I made it to the Connecting Cave and ended up in Ambrette Town. Along the way, Azurill finally evolved into a Marill, and soon after evolved into an Azumarill which was a pleasant surprise. Had to go to the Glittering Cave to knock out some Team Flare Grunts and got the Sail Fossil which will be staying as a fossil in the process. Finally made it to Cyllage City (it's actually funny how there's so much content between the 1st and 2nd gym, and then all the other gyms follow in rapid succession), and took a detour to Route 10 to catch a Hawlucha. Challenged the Cyllage City gym which was pretty easy overall, Grant's Amaura got OHKOed by Karate Chop and then his Tyrunt got taken down by 2 Karate Chops from Hawlucha.

Passed through Route 10 to beat up more Team Flare Grunts and ended up in Geosenge Town. On my way to the Reflection Cave, I caught a Nidorino in Route 11. Inside the Reflection Cave, I found a Moon Stone and quickly evolved Nidorino into a Nidoking because Nidorino doesn't really need any of its level up moves (Poison Jab is a TM in Shalour City) and the power boost was pretty necessary. Ended up in Shalour City and made my way to the Tower of Mastery where I fought Serena in a pretty easy battle, then went straight to the gym to challenge Korrina. Korrina also was pretty easy, Mienfoo went down to Rocky Helmet damage from Doubleslap and an Aqua Tail from Azumarill, Machoke easily gets OHKOed by Hawlucha's Flying Press, and then Korrina's Hawlucha is unable to touch Honedge so it eventually gets taken down by a Swords Dance-boosted Shadow Claw.

Team
Spoiler:

Aluette @ Rocky Helmet
Lvl 28 | Huge Power | Gentle
- Aqua Tail
- Return
- Double-Edge
- Charm

Veis @ Amulet Coin
Lvl 27 | Unnerve | Gentle
- Fire Fang
- Headbutt
- Work Up
- Noble Roar

Luso @ Eviolite
Lvl 29 | No Guard | Adamant
- Shadow Claw
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Bowen
Lvl 29 | Unburden | Hardy
- Flying Press
- Aerial Ace
- Power-Up-Punch
- Roost

Cid @ Poison Barb
Lvl 28 | Poison Point | Docile
- Poison Jab
- Dig
- Rock Tomb
- Focus Energy

Simply Dunsparce

Male
The Middle of Nowhere
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
Draft Challenge Update 2

Right after the first gym I went and picked up my second team member, Budew, on Route 4. I choose Budew because I hadn't used one yet and have heard that they do fairly well in Kalos. Despite Budew only being a baby mon, he did suprisingly well in this section, and his ability Poison Point was also quite useful. After catching Budew, I made my way to Lumiose city and fought Professor Sycamore, picked Squirtle, then immediately boxed it and headed to Camphrier town. On Route 6 I caught my third team member, Venipede. I chose Venipede because it and its evolutions are some of my favorite bug types, and because I haven't used it in Kalos yet. Venipede did fairly well in this section, although she did stuggle a bit until she learned Poison Tail. After catching Venipede, I help the guy in Parfum Palace, woke up the Snorlax, and traveled through Connecting Cave to Route 8. On Route 8 I caught my fourth team member, Mienfoo. I choose Mienfoo mostly because, like with the others, I hadn't used it yet and wanted to see how it turn out. Mienfoo did struggle a bit it this section, partially because she was somewhat underleveled when I found her, and partially because her movepool wasn't that great (She doesn't learn and STAB moves until like, Lv. 29), although I was able to handle switch training with her quite well due to Fake Out and Regenerator. Soon afterwards, I caught my fifth team member, Helioptle, on Route 9. I chose Helioptle, mostly because I wanted at least one team member who could learn surf for most of the game. Helioptle, much like Mienfoo, was a bit underleveled for where she was in the game, but with her ability, Dry Skin, she fared quite well against the Water types on the Route 8 beach. While dealing with the Team Flare grunts in Glittering Cave, Bunnelby evolved into Diggersby. Before challenging Grant, I took a detour to catch my sixth team member, Sigilyph, which also happened to be around when Venipede evolved into Whirlipede. I chose Sigilyph because it is a pokemon that I like using, but haven't used in Kalos before. The fight against Grant could have gone better, partially because I forgot that Amura had the ability Glaciate, thus making its Take Downs Ice-type. Amura knocked out Helioptle, Budew, and Whirlipede before being defeated by Sigilyph, while Tyrunt went down after two or three Mud Shots from Diggersby, earning us the Cliff Badge.

Team:
Diggersby (F) - Jane
Lv. 23
Cheek Pouch
Return/Double Kick/Mud Shot/Quick Attack

Budew (M) - Rosando
Lv. 24
Poison Point
Mega Drain/Growth/Worry Seed/Stun Spore

Whirlipede (F) - Arthropleura
Lv. 23
Swarm
Bug Bite/Rollout/Poison Tail/Protect

Mienfoo (F) - Leah
Lv. 22
Regenerator
Swift/Meditate/Rock Tomb/Fake Out

Helioptle (F) - Lizzie
Lv. 20
Dry Skin
Quick Attack/Thunder Shock/Charge/Mud-Slap

Sigilyph (M) - Nazca
Lv. 21
Magic Guard
Psywave/Tailwind/Air Cutter/Psybeam

Badges: 2/8
"Meow!"

Janp

Age 24
They/Them
Czech Republic
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
4,724 posts
8.4 Years

PART 2

I finally had time to start, so let's see what happened.

My ID ended with 2, so I picked Chespin as my starter, but it didn't stay on my team for long. I got Pidgey named Miss Peck and Scatterbug named Vedmi on Route 2 and then trained them in Santalune Forest, since I get free healing there. I love this location. I was a little bit surprised Scatterbug didn't evolved on level 7 like other early bugs. But ever since Miss peck learned Gust, there was nothing to stop me.

I also had a weak moment when I got to Santalune City and decided to catch Riolu just so I get all of my drafted Pokémon. It can also stay on my team as long as I have free spot. And it took me 40 minutes before I found one! Now I hope it will be worth it!

Anyway, Pidgey's Gust was pretty much the only attack I used in majority of Santalune Gym's battles. I decided to start with newly evolved Spewpa against Surskit, but it wasn't really a good idea and I quickly switched to Pidgey, who easily beat both Surskit and Vivillon with Gust.

I'm really scared of Grant. Right now, my team doesn't have a good counter against his Pokémon and I'm not sure if I can actually get any.

Team

Miss Peck, Modest Female Pidgey
lvl 14, Tangled Feet
- Tackle
- Sand Attack
- Gust
- Quick Attack

Vedmi, Naive Female Spewpa
lvl 11, Shed Skin
- Tackle
- String Shot
- Stun Spore
- Protect

Dolero, Docile Male Riolu
lvl 7, Inner Focus
- Quick Attack
- Foresight
- Counter
- Endure

Janp

Age 24
They/Them
Czech Republic
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
4,724 posts
8.4 Years

PART 3

Not gonna lie, I used Dolero more than I'm willing to admit. It was nice to have non-Flying-type Pokémon to use. It became useful especially once he learned Force Palm. But it kept hitting itself in confusion, flinched every time it got opportunity, was hit with several critical hits, was paralyzed for 4 turns in row and slept for 5 turns. I don't think he will ever evolve with this attitude.

Anyway, after learning new moves via TMs, Vedmi got enough experiences to evolve into Vivillon right on a next Route. My have Garden Pattern, which is in my opinion one of the better ones. Miss Peck evolved some time after that, I think it was around the time I beat Sycamore. After beating him, I was forced to pick another starter, but I quickly boxed it.

I caught Pivl the Oddish on my way to Perfume Palace. Another pretty good Pokémon for now. And quickly after that, I also caught Melichar the Lunatone and Kristi the Eevee. So now I have 6 Pokémon and I'm ready for Grant.

And it was disaster like always. I started out with Dolero and he took down Amaura with one Force Palm. That was nice. But then Grant's Tyrunt survived one Force Palm and beat Dolera with critical Stomp. I sent out Pivl, but Tyrunt's Stomp and Bite flinched him several times and Pivl barely did any damage. But he forced Grant to use his Super Potion. The rest of the team had to work really hard to bring Tyrunt down. Combination of Vedmi's Infestation, Miss Peck's Twister and Kristi's Baby-Doll Eyes weakened Tyrunt enough for Melichar to finally beat it.

Next time I'm catching Nidorina, which means I'll have to box one Pokémon. So it's probably the end of Dolero.

Team

Miss Peck, Modest Female Pidgeotto
lvl 27, Tangled Feet
- Return
- Twister
- Gust
- Quick Attack

Vedmi, Naive Female Vivillon
lvl 24, Shield Dust
- Struggle Bug
- Infestation
- Supersonic
- Psybeam

Dolero, Docile Male Riolu
lvl 26, Inner Focus
- Quick Attack
- Copycat
- Counter
- Force Palm

Pivl, Mild Male Gloom
lvl 25, Chlorophyll
- Mega Drain
- Sweet Scent
- Venoshock
- Sleep Powder

Melichar, Timid - Lunatone
lvl 21, Levitate
- Confusion
- Hypnosis
- Rock Polish
- Psywave

Kristi, Adamant Female Eevee
lvl 20, Run Away
- Quick Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes
- Swift
- Bite
Age 22
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
324 posts
1.2 Years
Update #3
Wuzzy -

Spoiler:
Been a bit since I last played but, decided to continue my journey during the last few days...

After beating Korrina on the previous update, I made my way to the Tower of Mastery again to battle Korrina with the gifted Lucario that I won't ever use and made my way through Route 12. Once I reached Courmarine City, I get ambushed by Serena because I accidentally walked into the gym while exploring but, she was pretty easy despite forgetting to heal at the PC. Took a detour to Azure Bay now that I have the Good Rod to explore, and on my way back I caught a Clamperl on the way back. Now that I have a Deep Sea Scale from Azure Bay, I had to use a save editor in order to evolve Clamperl into Gorebyss since I'm playing on an emulator. With that out of the way, I went back to challenge Ramos who was very easy like the other gym leaders. Jumpluff got OHKOed by Nidoking's Poison Jab, Gogoat goes down to some Flying Presses by Hawlucha, and Weepinbell eventually gets taken down my a bunch of Fire Fangs from Litleo for me to secure the Plant Badge.

Meanwhile, I took out Team Flare at the Power Plant on my way back to Lumiose City. Route 13 was an absolute pain to traverse because of the sandstorm/wind and the Arena Trap Pokemon that I kept randomly running into, though not all is bad as Litleo evolves into a Pyroar during those ambushes. After the forced story at Lumiose City, I took another side trip to Route 8 to battle the swimmers now that I have Surf to get Honedge one last level to evolve into a Doublade. Made my way back to Lumiose City to challenge Clemont which did give me a bit of trouble. Doublade was unable to knock out Magneton with Shadow Claws due to Clemont spamming Hyper Potions and it goes down to an Electric Terrain-boosted Thunderbolt. Pyroar is able to revenge the Magneton with Fire Fang, Nidoking OHKOs Heliolisk with Dig and takes down Emolga with some Rock Tombs for the Voltage Badge!

Team
Spoiler:

Aluette @ Sea Incense
Lvl 37 | Huge Power | Gentle
- Aqua Tail
- Return
- Double-Edge
- Surf

Veis @ Flame Plate
Lvl 36 | Unnerve | Gentle
- Fire Fang
- Headbutt
- Echoed Voice
- Work Up

Luso @ Eviolite
Lvl 35 | No Guard | Adamant
- Shadow Claw
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Bowen
Lvl 36 | Unburden | Hardy
- Flying Press
- Acrobatics
- Power-Up-Punch
- Fly

Cid @ Poison Barb
Lvl 37 | Poison Point | Docile
- Poison Jab
- Dig
- Rock Tomb
- Rock Smash

Valentyne @ Splash Plate
Lvl 35 | Swift Swim | Rash
- Surf
- Whirlpool
- Captivate
- Iron Defense
Seen January 12th, 2021
49 posts
8.6 Years
Hey Gang! I played a good bit over the past week. I’ve just been too lazy to stop and blog after each gym. I really should have, as that would help me keep the events in order a bit better. Here’s a big quick run-down.

Chapter 3
Spoiler:
After beating Grant, I went out and caught a Nosepass. I named her Moguera, and I trained her up to roughly even level with the rest of the team. We continued our journey and several of my Pokemon evolved to their final state, including Dogora – who proceeded to wreck Korrina. I thought she had a Lucario on her team, but I was mistaken. That was the only mon that I was really afraid of at this gym, and it was a figment of my imagination. Rodan also evolved into Talonflame, so you can imagine that Ramos didn’t put up much of a fight.

Around this time, I picked up my Good Rod and backtracked to get Chinchou. I named him Manda, and had another training session. It went pretty quick, as I had access to lots of ground types before going back to Lumiose City. I also levelled up Moguera in the desert to evolve her into Probopass. Skipping ahead a bit, my least favorite Pokemon is Probopass, and I really wanted her to prove me wrong. But the level-up move pool is just too shallow, and she still hadn’t learned a steel-type move up to the time we were facing down the sixth gym. The whole reason I got her was to counter fairy-types. So she’s off the team, now.

Backing up a bit, Lumiose City gym was fun. Manda was still a bit underlevelled, and most of the trainers just kept attacking into her with electric attacks, which she’s immune from. Clemont put up a good fight, but a combo of Moguera, Rodan, and Anguirus took him down, chipping away at the monsters they could threaten.

Going into the Laverre gym, I don’t think I had a good threat for any of the monsters that Valerie had, and the dual screens are always annoying to try to push through. But by this point, I had a good all-around team that could win with neutral hits and enough time. I don’t remember who the MVP was, but I do remember there was lots of swapping (and at least four KOs).

About this point in the game, I picked up my last two Pokemon and did some swapping around in my team. I did a little bit more training, to get the team up to a roughly-balanced level. I swapped out Anguirus for a Trevenant named Biollante, and I swapped out Moguera for a Mamoswine named Sanda. I had lots of good stuff to bring against Olympia, and Rodan was the only mon on my team that wasn’t a potential counter to something on her team. I think Manda & Dogora did most of the heavy lifting, attacking with Thunderbolt, though.

Impressions of my team so far: Solid. Pretty good balance for an in-game team, and I like the designs. I think Trevenant is the only one I haven't used on an in-game team before, and I'm very impressed with her so far. I was disappointed that Probopass didn't work out, but that's part of the fun of trying a different team.

Impressions of the challenge so far: I like the "teamwork" aspect, so to speak. It's fun to see how everybody plays through the game using a totally different team. My favorite part of the challenge is coming back to Pokecommunity and reading the update posts. It's not a particularly difficult challenge, though, as somebody predicted pre-draft. It may be fun to schedule break points and have the players do small tournaments, for future runs (maybe one after each gym, after every two gyms, etc). It may be more challenging to do this run on a game with a smaller national dex, as well, so the players are more likely to cut each other off during draft phase.

Mamoswine (F) - "Sanda"
Lv. 51
Snow Cloak - Bold
Ice Fang / Thrash / Earthquake / Rock Tomb

Talonflame (M) - "Rodan"
Lv. 54
Flame Body - Adamant
Flame Charge / Acrobatics / Quick Attack / fly

Gardevoir (F) - "Dogora"
Lv. 52
Synchronize - Bashful
Dazzling Gleam / Psychic / Grass Knot / Thunderbolt

Scrafty (F) - "Gabara"
Lv. 53
Moxie - Hasty
High Jump Kick / Crunch / Rock Climb / Rock Tomb

Trevenant (F) - "Biollante"
Lv. 52
Natural Cure – Calm
Power-Up Punch / Wood Hammer / Will-o-Wisp / Shadow Claw

Lanturn (M) – “Manda”
Lv. 51
Volt Absorb – Careful
Surf / Dazzling Gleam / Thunderbolt / Signal Beam

Current Team
Age 24
Male
Poland
Seen 4 Days Ago
Posted May 4th, 2021
196 posts
7.5 Years
Pokemon Draft Challenge Completed

My "strategy" when drafting was just to pick pokemon I've rarely or never used before. Also I tried to cover 3 main HMs used in the game so I can use a full team of 6 and not bother with HM slaves. Later into the draft I realised I'd be challenging Grant only with Simisear and Mothim, so I picked Psyduck as a precaution. It wasn't very useful in the end but it helped in some battles. Other than that the run went rather smooth, I'm very happy with all my picks as the team was rather balanced. I'd be interested in doing this challenge in a game with more limited pokedex though.

Team:
Spoiler:

OJ, Tangled Feet, Modest
Lv. 66 @Sky Plate
-Chatter
-Hyper Voice
-Synchronoise
-Fly

Mustard, Mega Launcher, Modest
Lv. 66 @Splash Plate
-Surf
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse
-Aura Sphere

Blackberry, Levitate, Impish
Lv. 66 @Rose Incense
-Power Whip
-Swords Dance
-Stockpile
-Crunch

Grape, Swarm, Quiet
Lv. 67 @King's rock
-Quiver Dance
-Air Slash
-Bug Buzz
-Psychic

Shotgun, Gluttony, Serious
Lv. 67 @Flame Plate
-Dig
-Flamethrower
-Brick Break
-Shadow Claw

Yawn, Snow Cloak, Sassy
Lv. 67 @Never-Melt Ice
-Superpower
-Strength
-Aqua Jet
-Icicle Crash

Hall of Fame:
Spoiler:

Final Time: 15:10
Seen January 12th, 2021
49 posts
8.6 Years
Played a bit more tonight, to finish out the run. This was one of the cleanest playthroughs I've done in a long time. I know it was pretty close to being a standard run, as I would have picked a team similar to this on a non-challenge run, so that's not exactly a brag. I was just surprised that I didn't have any full-party wipes, even during gym & elite four fights. Here's what happened.

Final Time: 19:18

FIN
Spoiler:
I was afraid of Wulfric's Avalugg. That thing has given me a lot of trouble in the past, but I was able to bring it down without too much trouble this time. Rodan took down Abomasnow and Cryogonal with Flame Charge, and it put a tiny dent in Avalugg. Gabara swapped in and landed two High Jump Kicks, to finish him off. I got turned around pretty bad on victory road, but that helped me level up the team for the Elite Four.

Wikstrom
Sanda led, and killed Klefki with Earthquake. Aegislash sparred with Rodan, and took several Flame Charge hits, but it eventually knocked out Rodan. Sanda swapped back in and finished up Aegislash. Gabara swapped in to deal with Scizor, and a couple of well-placed High Jump Kicks did the job. She got the Moxie boost, which gave her enough power to break down Probopass pretty easily.

Drasna
I led with Dogora, and she led with Dragalge. Dogora was poisoned, but managed to win this match-up. Sanda swapped in for the 4x STAB on Altaria & Noivern, and made quick work of them with Ice Fang. She stayed in to fight Druddigon, and pulled off another victory.

Malva
Manda knocked out Pyroar with Surf & Waterfall, but took some heavy damage. I swapped in Sanda to deal with Torkoal. She won, but she took serious damage, as well. Chandelure finished off Manda & Sanda, but Gabara was able to Crunch to victory. Talonflame knocked out Gabara, but Dogora was able to get off a couple of Thunderbolts for the win.

Siebold
Manda led again, and knocked out Clawitzer. Gyarados swapped in and KO'd Manda with Earthquake. I tried to counter with Sanda, but it was no good. Dogora was able to withstand a hit and KO Gyarados with Thunderbolt, however. Biollante swapped in to fight Barbaracle, which wasn't hard. Starmie was a bit of a problem for her, but I used a few potions to get through the scary parts.

Diantha
This was a fun battle, and I got to use most of my mons in this fight. Manda led, and KO'd Hawlucha with Thunderbolt. Tyrantrum faced down Sanda, but Ice Fang was too powerful. Gourgeist died (again) to Rodan's Brave Bird. Goodra was thwarted by Dogora's Dazzling Gleam. Aurorus got smashed by Gabara's High Jump Kick. I got scared when Gardevoir swapped in, because I forgot that it would copy "Moxie" from Gabara. I had forgotten that the Mega Evolution changes her ability, and I had also forgotten, in the moment, that Gabara was 4x weak to Fairy. I didn't want to risk some kind of setup, so I put Rodan in and ended the game with Brave Bird.

Mamoswine (F) - "Sanda"
Lv. 64
Snow Cloak - Bold
Ice Fang / Rock Smash / Earthquake / Rock Tomb

Talonflame (M) - "Rodan"
Lv. 66
Flame Body - Adamant
Flame Charge / Brave Bird / Steel Wing / Fly

Gardevoir (F) - "Dogora"
Lv. 64
Synchronize - Bashful
Dazzling Gleam / Psychic / Grass Knot / Thunderbolt

Scrafty (F) - "Gabara"
Lv. 66
Moxie - Hasty
High Jump Kick / Crunch / Head Smash / Dragon Claw

Trevenant (F) - "Biollante"
Lv. 65
Natural Cure – Calm
Power-Up Punch / Wood Hammer / Strength / Shadow Claw

Lanturn (M) – “Manda”
Lv. 64
Volt Absorb – Careful
Surf / Waterfall / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam

Final Team

Janp

Age 24
They/Them
Czech Republic
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
4,724 posts
8.4 Years

PART 4

Let's tart with a plot twist. I caught female Nidoran and had to decide which Pokémon to box so I can put her on team. At first, I wanted to box Dolero, but after checking rest of Gym Leaders, E4 and some Team Flare battles, I found out that Dolero is one of few PokémonI have drafted that can take care of Dark-types. And since Grass-type isn't really needed in Kalos. So I evolved Pivl via Leaf Stone and boxed it. So now I have 3 Grass-types in my PC. I also wanted to evolve Kristi to Vaporeon. I picked up Water Stone from Route 8 and used it on Kristi, only for her to evolve into Jolteon. You can imagine my surprise. But after checking my bag and resetting the game, I found out I had Thunder Stone right above Water Stone and for some reason used that instead of Water Stone.

So Dolero is still on my team, but since I'm playing mostly during nighttime, he spent most of the time as Riolu. He also single-handedly beat both Korrina's Lucario, which was kinda funny to watch. Korrina was really a pushover even in her Gym Battle, where Melichar shined with its newly learned Psychic. I think it was somewhere here that Dolero finally evolved, which made the whole Mega Evolution tutorial even more stupid. Like I have my own Lucario, but instead I'm forced to use a traitor that betrays his trainer like it's nothing. No thanks, you can rot at the top of this tower by yourself.

In Ramos battle I used Miss Peck after a long time. I think I'll switch her for one of the ghosts later. But the battle itself was pretty easy again. Just like every single Kalos run.

My newly caught Ivy the female Nidoran, who evolved at this point, did really great in Kalos Power Plant, where she basically swept Team Flare.

After that I decided to evolve Ivy once again and challenged Clemont. Sadly I had no Ground-type attacks, but Melichar and Dolero were able to take care of his Pokémon. Melichar first took care of Heliosk, since his Emolga run away with Volt Switch, but returned right after to faint. Dolero then beat Clemont's Magneton after long annoying battle full of paralyzation.

And to wrap this I challenged Valerie. I started with Dolero again, because I really want to find the reason why so many people like it and once again, it did pretty good against Mawile.I then switched to Ivy to beat Sylveon and I hoped she would also beat Mr. Mime, but the Barrier Pokémon was able to move first and beat Ivy with Psychic. I then decided to use Vedmi, but forgot that Bug Buzz is sound-based attack, so Mr. Mime was able to beat her too. He set up both Reflect and Light Screen, so I barely did any damage with rest of my Pokémon, but it was Kristi, who finally got past both barriers and healing from Valerie.

I saved inside Lost Hotel. I'll I have to wait here until Tuesday to be able to get Rotom.

I have to say that I enjoy reading everyone's runs and what team they were able to make with their drafts. I think if we wanted to make things more interesting next time, we could all ban one Pokémon at the start of drafting or even one Pokémon after each draft round for bigger Poké Dexes. That could really shake our choices.

Team

Miss Peck, Modest Female Pidgeot
lvl 44, Tangled Feet
- Return
- Twister
- Fly
- Quick Attack

Vedmi, Naive Female Vivillon
lvl 43, Shield Dust
- Bug Buzz
- Infestation
- Supersonic