• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Least Favorite Part of Playing the Gen 2 Games?

Years
  • I think the main story is perfect. After all these years there's nothing in it that I lose interest in. Even if I turn my attention to the post game its still very solid for its time.

If there is anything that I disliked then it was how they sanitized Lavender Town when you pass through in the post game, gave it happy music, and kicked out the ghosts and mystery. Otherwise GSC did a great job maintaining the hard edgy sound and look of Kanto throughout the region unlike Frlg, and bridged it amazingly from the soaring, colorful and upbeat cities of Johto.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • The very low levels of the trainer NPCs. It made leveling up too slow. I never cared to finish Pokemon Crystal because of how horrendously low leveled pretty much the entirety of all the Johto trainers were.

HG/SS slightly fixed this, at least, but still. Not a fan.

Last edited:

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
    Years
  • The level curve can be kind of annoying, but I think what annoys me the most is the method of obtaining custom pokeballs, like the Heavy Ball, Fast ball and so on . Whilst the concept and idea is sound and adds to the story and feel of Gen 2, the fact that it takes so so SO long to gain any significant number of them, they kind of lose their place in the game I feel.

Years
  • The level curve can be kind of annoying, but I think what annoys me the most is the method of obtaining custom pokeballs, like the Heavy Ball, Fast ball and so on . Whilst the concept and idea is sound and adds to the story and feel of Gen 2, the fact that it takes so so SO long to gain any significant number of them, they kind of lose their place in the game I feel.

Some of them being programmed incorrectly (e.g., Moon Ball working only on Pokémon that evolve via Burn Heal) does not help matters.

Years
  • People discussed the level curve already, but late game grinding is nightmare fuel, especially if you wanted to catch a late game Pokemon like Skarmory. I personally feel it doesn't really affect you until Morty, and then it is a whiplash of realization for the player.

My issues were that Hidden Power shouldn't have variable power, but rather like today, with a set base power (It didn't get a set power until XY), and obtaining in general was just too complicated, with only Pokemon X, Y, and Z only available in Kanto, but Z needs a Water Stone, which is only available through a Phone Call with <Insert Single Trainer on Random Route> at a certain time of day, and you can get Pokemon A & B, but you need post game items to evolve them. That was overly exaggerated, but it feels true in some respect. HG&SS fixed the issue with the Pokeathlon, but it was still a complicated system.

Years
  • The variety of pokemon tbh. All the stuff I wanted to use was either version exclusive to gold (I played silver) or postgame only.

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
    Years
  • One of my issues (and I really only have a few) is the constantly having to switch boxes. I'm not a really a fan of that, oh my other main issue is your bag filling up fairly quickly.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Kanto, it always bored me considering it was always reduced and shrunk down. Granted this problem was fixed in the remakes, and it was only done that way because the originals only had so much room in their programming to fit the entire region, but it always bothered me because it felt so... empty and bland, like there was less to do in it than in Johto other than catch whatever Pokemon were available in it.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
  • Considering that Gen2 has a valid amount of complaints, the level curve, for me, can be corrected with grinding. Endless grinding. :irate-stare:

Anyways, onto the list; the lack of imagination as to the parties of half the Johto Gym Leaders, notably Faulkner, Morty and Chuck. We have had established newcomers of said types (even Misdreavus could have been used in Morty's party) yet, we don't get that much improvement from a Primeape/Poliwrath team, are we to assume GF couldn't have thrown in Hitmontop or Heracross? And, oh boy, a lv9 Pidgeotto! We haven't seen plenty of those in Gen1. GF could have given Faulkner a low-level Natu for balance. (Bugsy gets a pass for Scyther being both tough and cool, but a Heracross or a Yanma could have worked.)

Now, moving on to the female gym leaders, who I felt both a sense of awe and horror as I challenged them all those years ago w/ a Totodile line and an improperly-crafted team. Whitney's Miltank has Rollout and Whitney LOVES healing, nuff said. Moving on to Jasmine w/ 2 Magnemites w/ Thunderbolt, but those pale in comparison to her last line of defense, that accursed Steelix always compels me to train and prepare thoroughly before I consider challenging her. And Claire....wooboi...Underleveled and unprepared will get you quite a final trial. ('Final' meaning 'amongst Johto's Gyms') Also, love Kingdra, it was both a hideous tank to fight and a lovely addition to the Pokedex.

I think a lot of fellas would agree, but where's my Houndour? Oh, waitaminute, it's to the east of Celadon. So, wait, if I want to fight Pryce w/ a Houndoom, I'd have to trade? And Murkrow. And Misdreavus. And G/S players are out of luck, Sneasel's over at Mt Silver. Catching Houndour around Goldenrod would have been AWESOME!!

Funny, of all the points I've made, there's one thing that will CONTINUE to get a 'REEEE' from me, and that's the Goldenrod Basement. Y'know, those 'convenient' switches to help test your puzzle side? If that's not bad enough, the code to unlock the Smoke Ball is even tougher. For a low-level item I'd only use as money-fodder. *slow claps* Great job, GF.

Back