• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Curious: How long did it take to make your game?

ShinxHero

Main Director of Pokémon VSLP
Years
  • This is nothing but a curious question to those who finished their game/demo.

How long did it take you guys to make your demo/completed game?

PsyShockker

Many games have taken more time than one year. Most of them is because the creators didn't hace much time to make them, because they have a job.

Sir_Tman

Overworked game Dev
    Years
  • 3 years and i've only done 1/17 of my game...Mind you I have drawn every sprite myself. That by far takes the longest.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    364 days for Island V1.0 (counting around 40 days that I didn't touch on game). Some time fixing bugs, two months for V1.1 extra content, plus more two months for V1.2 extra content.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Lightning yellow was originally posted on March 9th, 2011, so over 5 years ago, and its still have stuff done to it now, mainly bug fixes and post game content

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    ~2 years for a decently polished 2 gym demo. 1.5 years for a sloppier one. Dunno how long it'll take me to finish.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The time elapsed between starting and finishing a project is only one element. The other is how active you were during that time.

I can spend months on end doing nothing at all for Essentials, and when I do work on it, it can either be a quick bug report-inspired tweak taking 15 seconds, or I could spend 4 hours on something - both would take up one day of my timeline, but the latter is obviously more effort spent (which may roughly equate to productivity). So yeah, activity level is another aspect people should be talking about.

I would say that another aspect is how often you found yourself doing work you ultimately rejected, but actually, I don't think you could just subtract that time and end up with "how long I took to make my game". Even if a particular feature or graphic or song you worked on ended up being rejected, you still gained experience and knowledge doing so, which undoubtedly had an effect on other things. Your game wouldn't be the same if you hadn't done the stuff that isn't in it.

PercyX

The darkness has just begin...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2021
    Creating the first 20 minutes of gameplay took 3 hours...

Back