• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV So many reruns...

Guest123_x1

Seems like, at times, most of the shows that we watch are reruns or "encore presentations" of episodes from long ago, even if those shows supposedly are still in first-run producing new episodes. Other times, certain channels (particularly digital multicast "subchannel" services such as Antenna TV and MeTV) dedicate most, if not all of their schedules to repeats of shows that ended their runs long ago.
    Then, of course, there's those shows that are more recent that may have repeats of past episodes/seasons aired by a local station that may or may not be affiliated with the network that originally aired that particular show, said station having acquired local rights to that show via the "off-network syndication" market, for scheduling by the station to air outside of its network's hours (such as during overnights, weekends, or mornings and afternoons in the case of Fox, The CW, and MyNetworkTV affiliates).

Do you care for re-runs of series that are still producing new episodes in the future? Do you watch repeats of shows that have since ended their runs, whether it be on terrestrial (antenna) "multicast" or cable channels that dedicate themselves to reruns, or via off-network syndication on a local station?

For me, I don't really care to see repeats of a particular episode of a show that is still supposedly producing new episodes over and over, especially during summer break or, in the case of some shows, almost every month that isn't sweeps.
    In the case of shows that are no longer in production, though, I have watched several classic shows, via syndicated repeats, and on digital subchannel networks such as Antenna TV and MeTV. Eventually, though I have stopped watching many of these shows-in fact, the only classic TV show that I'm watching regularly as of now is Antenna TV's repeats of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (branded by the network simply as "Johnny Carson" due to the show's actual name being trademarked by NBC).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I really don't watch regular TV at all anymore - I only use youtube and Netflix for my show/movie needs c: But back in the day, I didn't mind watching reruns of sitcoms and such things in the afternoons. It was just relaxing and fun to watch something you knew very well and was fun and brainless for a while.

Besides, not everybody might have seen the shows the first time around, so it's good that they get several chances, if they don't have a service like Netflix.

Bay

Years
  • I remember as a kid I would watch reruns of several shows like Home Improvement and Married With Children after school, and I didn't have a problem with that. For a more recent example, I think Modern Family is still airing but I haven't really check it while it's airing in ABC and only sometimes caught a few minutes of an episode when showing reruns on Fox.

The past few years I also watched some classics from MeTV and such like Bonanza and Denis the Menace. Those have been enjoyable, perhaps more than some shows I'm currently following.

Years
  • Reruns were great when I was a kid and didn't understand things like continuity. I probably watched more reruns than anything. Now I don't have cable so I don't get the opportunity, but sometimes you just want to let someone else pick a couple of episodes of something you like.

Back