• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Starter Themes: Are they Real or No?

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    So, we're all familiar with the theory, I assume. The one that says that Fire Starters are based off the Chinese Zodiac; Grass Starters are based on prehistoric/extinct animals; and Water Starters are based on weapons. But, who here believes that its true? And if you don't believe it, why not?

As for me, I think its at least partly true.

In regards to the Fire Starters, after this past generation, I think that there is a lot to back up the claim that the Chinese Zodiac is a unifying theme. For those unfamiliar with the theory, it goes something like this:

Charizard = Dragon
    Typhlosion = Rat
    Blaziken = Rooster
    Infernape = Monkey
    Emboar = Pig
    Delphox = Dog
    Incineroar = Tiger

So, all that's left are the Horse, the Sheep/Goat, the Snake, the Rabbit, and the Ox. Now, this theory does have detractors that point to Typhlosion and Delphox not being either a rat or dog. However, these points are easily explained away. Cyndaquil is literally called the "Fire Mouse Pokémon" in its Pokédex entry, even if looks more like a shrew. So, the Typhlosion line was crafted with "rodent" in mind. And that sort of ties into the Delphox example. Yes, while foxes aren't actually dogs, they are still members of the canidae family, which actually makes them more related to each other than mice are to shrews. So, obviously, the franchise plays fast and loose with taxonomy and it is conceivable that Typhlosion and Delphox are supposed to be a rat and dog, respectively.

But I guess my main thing with this theory is that, if it isn't true, then why this selection of animals? It doesn't seem just completely random to me. If I'm making a cool fire monster to follow a kid around on his/her journey, I'd think lion or bear, not....chicken or pig. Now, next gen could come along and prove this wrong, but if the Fire starter next gen is a rabbit or horse or one of the others needed to complete the cycle, I think that might be conclusive.

Now, onto the other starters. The one about the Grass starters is, I think definitely provable. Each of them seems to correspond to a prehistoric animal.

Venusaur = Dicynodont (it also literally has "saur" in its name)
    Meganium = Sauropod dinosaurs
    Sceptile = Dilophosaurus
    Torterra = Ankylosaurus
    Serperior = Titanoboa (giant prehistoric snakes)
    Chesnaught = Glyptodonts (sort of like prehistoric armadillos)
    Decidueye = Stilt Owls

And this finally brings me to the Water starters. This, in my opinion, is the most tenuous of the three theories and I actually think this is where the above theorists get it wrong. The Water starters aren't based on specific weapons. I mean, what weapon is Primarina supposed to be?? However, I don't think they're far off.

I believe that, instead, the Water starters are based on specific warrior/soldier archetypes from different historical eras. Now, its actually quite obvious when we look at the majority of the final Water starters stacked up next to each other (so, I might not be the first to posit this).

Blastoise = WWII tank operator/navy man (has two cannons on its back, which then becomes one giant one upon mega evolving; and its facial markings make it look like it's wearing a helmet)
    Swampert = Greco-Roman/Spartan warrior (watch the Dex video on Swampert)
    Empoleon = well, Napoleon. Literally in the name. This one shouldn't need further explanation
    Samurott = Samurai warrior. Again, in the name.
    Greninja = Ninja. Again, in the name.

The only ones that would seem to stick out as outliers would be Feraligatr and Primarina. However, I actually have a theory about those two.

First, as for Feraligatr, I think that:

Feraligatr = a prehistoric/caveman warrior archetype

Admittedly, this is more so based on Croconaw than Feraligatr itself, but Feraligatr does share a lot of the same aesthetics with its pre-evolution. Anyway, a caveman motif is quite discernible on Croconaw: the belly markings evoke the idea of an animal-skin loincloth and its fin scales look like wild hair. Some of these elements are kept by Feraligatr when it evolves. Plus it has the word "feral" in its name suggesting something unrefined or uncivilized like a caveman.

Now, as for Primarina, it is my contention that:

Primarina = a military spy or espionage in general.

And that might sound crazy, but like Empoleon, this might be a case where she's based on a specific historical figure. Who's the most famous military spy in history? Mata Hari. For those who don't know their WWI history, Mata Hari was a famed dancer who was accused by the French of spying for the Germans during WWI. She confessed to the crime and was executed by the French army. If you look up a picture of her, you'll see that she was usually decked out in jewels (like Primarina) and a lot of the time, wore a long, flowing blue skirt (again, like Primarina). Basically, her dancing uniform was laid out almost exactly like Primarina's look. Also, a journalist once described her as having "the flexible grace of a wild animal...with blue-black hair." And lastly, Popplio and Brionne's names in Japanese end in "mari" like Mata Hari. But, its just a theory.

Who knows if its true, but those are my thoughts. Excited to hear yours.

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Personally I see water starters to be just simply water related animals that can go both on land and water. For the weapons deal I think only Blastoise, Empoleon and Samurott fit in lol.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Personally I see water starters to be just simply water related animals that can go both on land and water. For the weapons deal I think only Blastoise, Empoleon and Samurott fit in lol.

I think that's a little too general to be a real theme, though. Saying the theme of the Water starters is that they're aquatic/amphibious animals is like saying that the theme of the Fire Starters is that they can shoot fire from some part of their bodies. It's not really purposeful theme as it is just the fact that pretty much all water types are based on aquatic animals.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Great theories imo! I've heard the zodiac and prehistoric ones before, but never the water one. It makes sense though. Only Primarina is a bit off yeah, but your theory could be right, especially with their names (:

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Great theories imo! I've heard the zodiac and prehistoric ones before, but never the water one. It makes sense though. Only Primarina is a bit off yeah, but your theory could be right, especially with their names (:

Thank you!

snowfire911

Snowfire, Keeper of Breloom and Shroomish
    Years
  • Your theory is so good it actually makes a lot of sense! I never thought about this concept that much.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Aaaand, with the reveal of Scorbunny, I think we can reach the conclusion that the Chinese Zodiac could at least be a guiding hand for Gamefreak when designing the Fire Starters.

Scorbunny (and evolutions) = Rabbit.

Last edited:
    Back