• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Which is better, Gold/Silver or Crystal?

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    The title says it all. Some people think Crystal was a step down from Gold/Silver. I think crystal was a huge improvement over Gold/Silver, in terms of graphics story and add-ons.

Whichever you think is better, give reasons why you think so. Otherwise, the argument is not to be considered a strong one.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • Crystal & Gold tie with me.

Crystal overall was a great game.
    But it really bothered me that you couldn't catch mareep in the game...

MrsMime

Humanshape Pokemon
    Years
  • Silver is my all-time favorite as it is the first one out of the series I got (my younger brother and I would each get the opposite of the series XD) but I like Crystal because it was the first one that you could play as a girl. Being a girl, that was great for me. If you could play as a girl in Silver, though, that would be case closed. :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Crystal's the sure choice since it has more to it (I personally like the fact that it's the first Pokemon game in which the player character can be female, it also has other stuff that I care less about like the Battle Tower xD).
    If there's a specific Pokemon you want that's in Gold or Silver only and you can't trade with anyone, that's really the only reason to not have Crystal.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • The only thing I don't like about Crystal is that you can't get Mareep in the wild. :/

But Silver's actually my favorite. Gee. I wonder why...

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2010
    I really missed mareep in crystal, but extemespeed dratini made up for it. Crystal didn't really add anything though. Battle Tower, Female character is it I think. I have to play gold/silver now anyway, my crysta;'s internal battery died.

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    I really missed mareep in crystal, but extemespeed dratini made up for it. Crystal didn't really add anything though. Battle Tower, Female character is it I think. I have to play gold/silver now anyway, my crysta;'s internal battery died.
    Wrooooong. Crystal added a lot of stuff. o.o;

Anyway, I like G/S more because of no Mareep, and the fact that it's a huge pain in the ass to catch Ho-Oh.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    CRYSTAL DUDE!!!

Crystal, The Pokemon animations, The boy/girl option, And the Battle Tower.

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
  • I love Crystal. it was my favorite. I liked the plot more as well. I must also note that I had no clue about the legendary beasts until I played Crystal.... yeah... I loved the battle animations, choosing a girl character (who has been my most favorite character in anything since), and realizing how cute the Rival was and shipping them together. >.> <.< Silver is my next fave since it's the first one I got and I love Silver. ^^;

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I played Gold first, and to be honest, I still like it best :/ Even though I'm in the middle of Crystal at the moment and enjoying it ^^ I guess it has to do with the feeling of originality that came with Gold. And......... Well, Gold isn't a bad character..... xD [/PokéSpeManiacSpeaking]

MrsMime

Humanshape Pokemon
    Years
  • Crystal, The Pokemon animations, The boy/girl option, And the Battle Tower.
    Totally forgot about the Pokemon animations. That was the best part. Same with Yellow version, that was when the Pokemon actually started to look like POKEMON in the games.. XD

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    I like Crystal the best because you had a choice to be a girl plus the other add ons.
    But I still like gold and silver!

Years
  • Crystal would be by far (in my opinion), I've been playing for at least 6 years now and it is STILL my favorite Pokemon game (pretty much out of all consoles....). Silver and Gold I don't really admire, I haven't played those versions much at all and I never got the hang of the differences... Whatever that really means (lol). Well, nice thread to talk about this:D

Black Dunsparce

Black is better!
    Years
  • I first got Gold Version, and than lost it when someone stole it from me. Than I got Silver Version, which became my favorite till Crystal was released. As a few people have already said, I love Crystal because you can play as a girl for once, the Battle Tower and alternate pokemon, plus you can catch Suicune earlier in the game!

Years
  • Crystal's animations where pathetic.
    Battle Tower in Crystal is better than Battle Tower in Ruby and Sapphire.
    Extremespeed Dratini is purely awesome :D
    Crystal>Gold/Silver

But I have a sweet spot for Silver, it was my first pokemon game.
    So my preference is Silver>Crystal/Gold

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2009
    Gold was my first of the G/S/C editions, however Crystal wins it for me :)

Back