• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So my phone has died.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    I received my first smartphone in my birthday last year (May, so a little over a year ago). A Nexus 6P which I loved suddenly decided to die after random problems with it (it would turn off when it still had like 50% of the battery and the like).

I was scared I ruined it somehow despite being very careful with it. Never dropped it or anything. I was very scared when I told my dad. Thankfully he understood and there's apparently a problem with these phones and their battery. >.<

Anyway, the shop we bought it from said they'd honor their own warranty, but they can't give me the same phone because they no longer have it in stock (and even if they did, I wouldn't want it... No matter how much I loved it).

Anyway, since my country doesn't have many "official" stores for many phone makers, I don't have many options to pick from. I was kinda hoping to receive advice on any of the phones I will list here so I can choose the best one for me. I have narrowed them to this based on their availability here and the things I want in a phone (really just a good camera ^.^).

- Xperia XZ. The camera is not always too great for what I have seen, but I am considering it.
    - Galaxy S7 Edge. A friend has it and I like it how he can take photos that he can later "develop" with Photoshop later, though the default photos also come out nice. I also really like the slide panel thing where he can put his most used apps so he doesn't have to put them on the main screen.

Those are the ones I can choose from immediately and I'd get them when turning my dead phone in. But my dad is being generous and he said he's willing to pay a bit more so I can get one of these:

- Galaxy S8. I think it's pretty much the same as the S7 Edge, maybe a bit thinner. I don't think there's any difference between the two that matter to me, but I'd get it over the S7 Edge just because it is more modern and bound to last a few more than the S7 Edge.
    - iPhone 7. Honestly the iPhone has been my dream since like forever hahaha because I have been able to find much more interesting apps for it than on Android. Sometimes I gotta ask my brother to lend me his phone to use some of his apps, and he doesn't always comply >.<.
    - Pixel. I don't know anything about this phone at all. People say I should get it since I had a 6P. I hear it as a camera similar to the 6P (which I really like, the "HDR" thing and the portrait mode).

Now the problem with the last two phones is that they are not available immediately and they may take up two weeks to get to me. I am not saying I can't live without my phone, but the problem is that I receive all news relevant to me via WhatsApp. My music school will send (often important) notices via WhatsApp, and my school also sends updates, sometimes regarding homework now that I am on a break so I can't miss too many messages from that group either.

So... Help me choose! I'm honestly leaning towards waiting at most 2 weeks and get an iPhone hahaha but I'm fine with the other options too. If you have any of the phones here please let me know how they are ^.^. I mostly care about the camera more than anything. I definitely like having cool apps, but depending on how the situation turns out that might have to wait a while.

Cordeline

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    That's no biggie because I don't have that many apps on my phone, and like I said most cool apps I use are on my brother's iPhone hahaha.

Years
  • That's no biggie because I don't have that many apps on my phone, and like I said most cool apps I use are on my brother's iPhone hahaha.

Keep in mind that smartphones have been a thing long enough that 90% of all "interesting" apps are on both iOS and Android.

Android to iOS and iOS to Android is a big interface shift and if you're used to one it may take time to adapt.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • As a fellow who used both Android and iOS, stick with Android... believe me. It's much more customizable out of the box than iOS without tinkering with it too much. As for the actual phone, I'd go with the S7 Edge or the S8, in fact, I'm considering to go with Samsung for my next phone. :)

Urist McHemlock

Jack Frost of the Jack Brothers
    Years
  • As a fellow who used both Android and iOS, stick with Android... believe me. It's much more customizable out of the box than iOS without tinkering with it too much. As for the actual phone, I'd go with the S7 Edge or the S8, in fact, I'm considering to go with Samsung for my next phone. :)
    Samsung's ROM is extremely bloated, so if you want a Samsung phone, you might want to get a phone with more than 16 GB of storage, or you can flash a custom ROM on it.

Cordeline

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    I have never cared too much about customisation or "flashing" or anything like that. The most customisation I'll do is to change my wallpaper and ringtone.

Years
  • Honestly, if your budget can afford it, then for sure go with an iPhone. If not, then stick to Android. Samsung hardware is great, but if you do go with a Samsung phone, I would recommend you find a custom ROM for the device because TouchWiz is the worst thing ever.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I have a S7 edge and i havent had any problems. But im not the most picky person either so the whoke touchwiz thing isnt something i ever personally had a problem with shrug.

Cordeline

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    Honestly, if your budget can afford it, then for sure go with an iPhone. If not, then stick to Android. Samsung hardware is great, but if you do go with a Samsung phone, I would recommend you find a custom ROM for the device because TouchWiz is the worst thing ever.

That kinda stuff is too complicated for me ^^; I don't think I'd have too many issues running whatever is default.

I have a S7 edge and i havent had any problems. But im not the most picky person either so the whoke touchwiz thing isnt something i ever personally had a problem with shrug.

Thank you! How do you like the camera?

I have until Thursday to decide, so I'm still thinking what should I get ^^

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Overall I've had no issues with the camera and my pictures come out pretty great! There was only one time when I was having an issue but that was solely because of the lighting. My sister had also tried to take a picture on her phone and she got the same issue and we have different phones.

Years
  • As far as picture quality on phones, the Galaxy phones and the iPhones generally have cleaner pictures because their camera lenses are a smidge below top-tier but still have far and away the best software-side rendering on the market.

Cordeline

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    Thank you everyone ^-^. So we went to the shop today and I wanted to wait for the iPhone in two weeks, but I was talked into getting a phone now (since I reaaallly need to be up to date with my WhatsApp groups) and I was about to get a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

But the shop actually had a Galaxy S8, they received an early shipment of some phones. But my dad has been a customer of this shop for many years, so they gave him a discount and I was offered an S8+. So I got that one. Not only that but I got the wireless headphones for free thanks to a promotion they were running hahaha. I'm pretty, preeettty happy about all this!

They honoring the warranty of my dead phone, plus giving an extra discount for a new phone on top of it all... I can't be thankful enough. ^-^ currently thinking of ways to properly thank my dad because ideally I would have liked it if he didn't add any extra money but... He insisted, so here I am. At the very least I had to buy the case with my own money, though, but considering how much my dad this I don't mind that one bit.

I will let you know how it is! I have been playing with it all day long and I looove it. One of my favorite features is the app tray you can pull from the edge anytime because I have loved that feature since I saw it in another friend's phone over a year ago. The phone also looks and feels so beautiful, I can't believe they can make things like this.

Back