• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen That Shiny is different!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Since generation 2, shinies have been a staple of the Pokemon games. But, some shinies have changed colors completely due to the limitations of the game boy color no longer existing. Obviously, the change is most noticeable in generation six, jumping to 3D.

Here are some examples of shinies that changed almost completely from 8-bit to 3D, in my opinion:

Jigglypuff:
    Spr_2g_039_s.png
    Spr_4d_039_s.png
    Spr_6x_039_s.png
    (sorry, she's floating in midair, oh my god)

As you can see, Jigglypuff's shiny went from barely being noticeable in Generation two, Gold & Silver only, however, to this lavender color in generations three and four. In generation six, I don't know what it is, but the shiny looks really washed out. That's just me?

What Pokemon shinies do you feel changed the most from their original game to the X/Y era?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I...had no idea that some Pokemon had their shiny colors change at any time honestly

guess I learned something new today

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i'm too lazy to grab specific examples, but honestly, if you just compare gen V sprites to gen VI/VII, you can see how washed out the colors have gotten on the pokemon models in recent games. it looks like this was corrected nicely in LGPE, but XY/SM/USUM looks so like. bleh.

okay i lied, here's a quick example.

334.png
    334.png

not at vibrant as it once was. not all shinies suffered from this, but i think a majority did. i don't feel like going through the pokedex though lol.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Without going through the Pokedex I remember Charizard's original Shiny was a purple colour in Gen 2 but changed to black in later generations. Also Shiny Kingdra was a dark shade of purple in gen 2 before becoming lighter in Gens 3-5 and becoming darker purple again in Gen 6 onwards.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I don't feel like posting images, lol

Shiny Electabuzz used to be a deep amber color, but now it's a paler pinkish-orange - almost coral. Shiny Electivire was the same amber color in addition to having blue eyes and tail-tips, but now its body is only a few shades different from its normal form (not even as vibrant as shiny Electabuzz) with the blue details being the main difference.
    Shiny Lanturn used to purple and chartreuse, but now it's only a few shades different than its normal form - the effect is too pronounced to be explained by models generally being duller than sprites.
    Shiny Drapion used to be pinkish-red, but now it's merely a few shades pinker than its normal form. Again, I don't think models being generally duller than sprites accounts for this - it was just about the same color as Skorupi in sprite form, but now they're completely different, Skorupi being the standard amount duller than its sprite form but still very clearly red.
    Shiny Weavile used to be pastel pink and yellow like its pre-evolution, but now it's downright magenta and dark yellow.
    Shiny Togekiss used to switch from bluish-white to a champagne color in addition to the red and blue of its markings being switched around, but now it's almost the same. (Notably, Togepi and Togetic were never all that different from their normal forms - it's like they realized how underwhelming that was, made a significant change for the final evolution, then just dropped it.)
    Shiny Leavanny's leaves used to be an eye-burning chartreuse, but the models switched it to being only a few shades different than normal. (Can't decide which one is worse...)
    Shiny Larvesta's...tendrils? used to be more orangish-yellow, but now they're more greenish-yellow.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Just looking over the GSC sprites at some of my favorites:

Venomoth's Shiny got a huge improvement from its original. Its GSC palette still looked pretty purple. Same with Cloyster.

Shiny Magnemite/Magneton used to have dull-colored tips on their magnets. Now the tips are totally desaturated (which I think looks way better).

Porygon's Shiny improved immensely, changing from an overall purply appearance to a gorgeous blue and rosey-silver color. I think the pink pops way too much in its 3DS model, though.

Shiny Omanyte/Omastar used to have gray bodies. Now they're purple. I like both.

Dragonair... I'm so glad they updated it from lavender to pink. One of the best Shinies.

Furret probably has the best Shiny update of any Pokémon. The old one looked like someone dipped a regular Furret in magenta dye. Now it's practically white with pink stripes.
    furret.png
    furret.png

Shiny Misdreavus used to look gold compared to its modern "trash green."

Shiny Gligar used to be silver and indigo instead of overall blue.

Last edited:
    Back