• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Obscure Series

Years
  • What are some hidden gem anime and manga that not a lot of people seem to know about but you highly recommend. What makes them great and why do you think they haven't gotten the attention they deserve?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Classicaloid. This series was really funny when it aired, and even got a second season. But no one talked about it when it did, and it's a shame because it's one of my favorite anime of all time. What makes it great, in my opinion, is that it takes classical music figures, makes them modern and just has the right amount of slapstick humor to make it a great anime. tbh, idk why it was so low rated on MAL. Maybe people skip over it because it seems like a kiddy anime, but it's not at all that.

pkmin3033

Classicaloid. This series was really funny when it aired, and even got a second season. But no one talked about it when it did, and it's a shame because it's one of my favorite anime of all time. What makes it great, in my opinion, is that it takes classical music figures, makes them modern and just has the right amount of slapstick humor to make it a great anime. tbh, idk why it was so low rated on MAL. Maybe people skip over it because it seems like a kiddy anime, but it's not at all that.
    The first 1:20 of the very first episode was comedy gold, and it only got better. Great first OP too.

Anyways, Princess Tutu. It has a surprisingly (or perhaps not, if you know your fairytales) dark narrative with a complex cast that all go through some meaningful and well-written development over the course of the show, it draws inspiration from fairy tales and classical music and isn't afraid to make either its own, is unique in that it explores the themes and emotions behind ballet, and it has a cat for a teacher that you will have to marry. You can't really say fairer than that. It's pretty obvious why plenty of people have dismissed it: it has an extremely "girly" title and initial premise, follows a very formulaic magical girl structure (i.e. monster of the week told in fairytale format) in the beginning that in no way suggests originality and people are uncultured and have no appreciation of the classics. Most of the more impactful drama takes place in the second chapter.

Rozen Maiden is another one that I feel is a hidden gem, although that's primarily because I adore Suigintou as a character. The anime isn't anything to write home about - especially the third season, even if it does have Kirakishou in it - but the manga is one of three I've actually read through to its conclusion and mostly enjoyed (I'm sorry, but I hate Shinku, so of course the ending rubs me the wrong way) so it stands out to me for that reason. I doubt most people want anything to do with it because Suiseiseki is a very old meme.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Two others:

Naka no Hito Genome Jikyokuu (spelling?) - It's about these live streamers who are isekaied away into a game and are forced to play it by a mysterious man in an Alpaca mask until they reach 100,000,000 views. It's kind of like Danganronpa in many ways, with character designs similar to Kagerou Project. It was very underwatched when it came out, so I doubt it'll ever get a second season. It's also based off a pixiv manga.

Nanamaru Sanbatsu or (7o3/Fastest Finger First) a quiz bowl anime. It was mildly an entertaining series that went completely untalked about when airing. It also has a rather low score on Mal. =/

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    Konobi (aka This Arts Club Has A Problem) isn't super obscure, but I don't think that many have watched it.
    It's a light-hearted romcom about an arts club and its members: the lazy final year president, a, incredibly talented boy who is on a mission to draw his perfect waifu and a down-to-earth girl with a crush on him and is interested in classical art and her specialty - painting apples. Other people around them join in their shenanigans, including their teacher, a chuunibyou new girl and their other classmates. Overall, it isn't a mind-blowing show, but it does manage to be really funny while at the same time portraying characters as, well, humans quite well. It's consistently an enjoyable watch from beginning to end. Just don't expect any crazy character development, it's very much a show to just relax and have a giggle.

Years
  • More people need to see Looking Up a the Half-Moon. It's a really beautiful bitter-sweet romance centred around two patients at a hospital.

Years
  • Chang Ge Xing. It's a really good manhua with an interesting plot and well written characters. It's set during Tang dynasty, and takes inspirations from Chinese and Turkic cultures. Since I'm interested in Central Asia, Chang Ge Xing is an ideal series with its setting, plot and characters.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    First warning because my pick has both graphic violence(sort of) and sexual themes.

Virgin Extinction Island by Kawasaki Junpei

The comments give this series a lot of hate, I think they're just mad they're seeing themselves
    instead of power fantasy bs, but I don't think a lot of people have seen it anyway.

But its amazing, and also crazy. The idea is essentially a parody/concept idea of what if the existing social pressures in japanese society were exacerbated to the extreme.

Since in japan they have a problem of a lot of guys being unable to find partners I believe because of an large difference in the populations of each gender. (they have a lot more men than woman.) Or other social factors that just make it difficult.

The plot puts the entire country in a crazy situation and of the characters we see most affected, (not the background people or higher ups) they are portrayed very realistically
    to how those groups would react. Even if it may seem cringey at times, its just so accurate.

Its a tragedy at its whole, but it just nails the comedy as well! Some parts had me in tears laughing.

The characterizations are masterful in my opinion, no one is just an archetype, both the male and female perspective are represented well.
    but no one is really shown to be "right" and they even have moments of contradiction and hypocrisy. Just as a real person would.

Because just because you say something or think something, doesn't mean you'll always live up to it.

Now here's the plot.

A strange possibly man-made virus has spread throughout the country of japan, with shocking and devastating effects...

Any male still a virgin by the time he turns 18...will die!! ( I told you it was crazy)

I haven't gotten far into it yet, but it mostly revolves around a high school setting, least at the start.
    (think I read the first 5 chapters?)
    note:
    It may help you get some things, but I don't think its necessary to really know anything about japanese society.

You can probably guess a few things that happen and probably be right, so I'll be clear this series really doesn't hold back, from what I've seen
    so far it explores every possible reaction in a situation like that. So if you don't think you can handle stuff like that, maybe give it a pass.
    *but that said its not r18, or really graphic or anything, it just explores a lot of different themes and ideas typically taboo.

one more thing, so I said its a parody, which prob sounds out of place with what I described, but that's the best way I can think to describe it.

So its serious topics, and it treats things seriously, but there are also times (mostly cutting to the government) when its somewhere between serious and a joke.

Which imo is good, because it helps keep the series balanced. Don't know if those elements will be able to stick around in later chapters, but it interests me.

To get a bit of an idea for the series here's a shot from an end chapter author's note recounting the initial meeting between the author and the artist.
    Screenshot (717).png

Back