• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga It's not like I want you to post in me or anything, b-baka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

That's a valid complaint. A lot of people aren't exactly very hot on the whole homophobic angle Atlus took with Kanji's issues. Yosuke in particular, as you speak, is guilty of it.

Though to be perfectly honest with you, I took it more as a joke than anything else. Which is why it didn't impact my enjoyment of the game/anime as much as it did for you. As for the slow pacing, well, yeah. Another valid issue there. The game really likes to take its time with things XD;
    Really? I've never seen anyone else complain about it...but then, I prefer not to talk about P4 too much, because you get strung up and crucified if you dislike it in most places. I suppose it makes me humourless, but I just can't see that sort of thing as acceptable. Especially not when the character in question isn't criticised for it. It was also the way in which literally none of the characters called Yosuke out for it that annoyed me as well. I know it's partially a culture thing - or just an age group thing, whatever - but...god, it annoys me. If you can shrug it off...good for you, I guess? I dunno. It's not often that a single character stops me from enjoying something that is otherwise fairly good quality, but this...

Yosuke being voiced by Yuri Lowenthal did not help endear his character to me, either. Given that Yukiko, Rise, and Kanji (I never even got to Naoto in the game) weren't bad characters, I was quite annoyed the game forced the worst two on me first. After I watched the anime I tried playing the game again to see if I could get any further in it, and I just gave up because neither Yosuke nor Chie ever developed as characters...and I got very tired of Teddie being an unwavering pervert. It was funny the first time. Not after that, though.

Nah, Trinity Soul isn't related to P3. It is a standalone work with one character from P3 cast making an appearance somewhere in it. That's about it.

Maybe give the movies a go, yes. They were definitely higher budget than the P4 anime and just didn't have much "downtime" in them. That'd alleviate your pacing complaints to a degree, I suppose.
    I knew there was SOMETHING related to P3 in it. At least I wasn't wrong about that. xD

I think my pacing complaints for the games come through the mountains of banal school life dialogue they have which add literally nothing to the plot, so if there is none of that, so much the better. I was fine with the P4 anime's pacing mostly. I also liked that Yu had a voice...and a character, albeit a reticent one. I've never understood the rationale behind having a silent protagonist that you don't pick in a story-heavy JRPG. Feels lazy; one less character to write, etc. I was glad the anime fixed that to a degree, and even made him a bit likeable.

I wonder if Persona 5 will get a full anime adaptation. Given that the first hour of the game is at least half anime cutscenes, it wouldn't surprise me...

Years
  • Umaru 2 confirmed for Autumn. Grab yourselves a can of Coke to celebrate.

I'm hoping there's more of the manga's cutesy story now that we've been introduced to all of them. There's actually some character development in the manga, albeit at a slow pace since each chapter is only 8 pages long.

Never finished first season (gotLazeeeh) but I'm glad to see it get another season. Was full of top keks.
    also why are games being talked about here

I mean, the manga is only 8 pages per chapter so it's almost a quicker read than watching the anime would be.

So I've been thinking of actually starting to watch anime. Hmm... I don't suppose there's a good list of things to watch that are also current?

Got to say, I've been thinking I'm probably missing out on a lot of things.

Depends on what you want to watch, as everyone else has said.

Was pointed to Crunchyroll a bit by someone else online, but... *internal screaming as Crunchyroll's streaming have pretty much almost everything has its licence explicitly excluding Asia* (Hey, at least Yuri!!! On Ice is available there.)

My suggestion would to just check out Netflix and the anime-specific services that affect Australia and New Zealand given the country you're in, since some of those services from Aus and NZ might actually operate in a couple SEA countries. Otherwise, I think a lot of anime is on cable/satellite or DVDs and BDs in your country.

Speaking of, I'm curious.

I know we have a thread for it, but this more more on a conversational level...do you guys tend to buy merch for series that you like?

I've noticed that I consume a lot more than I support so I've been trying to get into it, but other than buying games I haven't really found a good gateway. Honestly, I'd even be down with just posters but I'm not sure where to get a good number of 'em.

And there are conventions, too, but...hm...

I mean, you probably already knew my answer to this question without me saying it, but yes, I do.

The easiest ways are to buy through various vendors/retailers. Barnes & Noble has started stocking some figures that are actually from Japan (none of the crazy ornate ones that cost north of $125, though; mostly just the cheaper stuff that's all less than $50). There's also buying through Tokyo Otaku Mode, RightStuf, via Crunchyroll's store, from Funimation's store (albeit Funi's store is a more indirect method than anything else I'm going to mention), sellers on Amazon, Ami Ami, Mandarake, CDJapan, Amazon.jp, Good Smile Company, Anime Pavilion, USA Animate Online Shop, Anime Sekai, and an assortment of smaller anime retaliers that have online stores and convention presences. The convention I was just at this weekend (not even the biggest one this weekend in the US) had 37 different vendors in its dealer hall, and I think most of those have online storefronts in addition to their convention storefronts and a handful of brick and mortar stores.

And then there's using a proxy buying service to buy stuff from various Japanese vendors, but a lot of Japanese vendors will cancel any orders they think are through a proxy buying service.

That or just importing Japanese BDs and such, since Japan is the in same DVD/BD player region as the US.

When it comes to posters, I tend to buy fan art prints ones rather than official ones, since official ones are considerably harder to come by in the US. There is always a vendor that sells some official promo posters at the convention I was just at, even though I didn't buy any official ones this year.

Also, hijacking the thread a bit to link a couple merch albums.

First one is my buys at the anime convention I went to this weekend. Taking photos for this album and looking at my existing figures made me realize that I just might have a thing for twin-tails now, whoops.

This album from today should hammer home how far off the deep end I am into the merch sea, lol.

pkmin3033

First one is my buys at the anime convention I went to this weekend. Taking photos for this album and looking at my existing figures made me realize that I just might have a thing for twin-tails now, whoops.
    Spoiler:

Years

• Spoiler:

Alternatively:

Spoiler:

Also that URL is fantastic and reminds me that I need to watch that. Genderbender shows where the lead male turns into a female are usually stupid campy fun.

Well you certainly went all out there.

I only have one speed at conventions, and that speed is buying everything.

Basically me at dealer booths, except replacing taking clothes off with SELL ME EVERYTHING:

Spoiler:

pkmin3033

Alternatively:

Spoiler:

Also that URL is fantastic and reminds me that I need to watch that. Genderbender shows where the lead male turns into a female are usually stupid campy fun.
    Spoiler:

Oh god yes, OreTwi is absolutely ridiculous, and it's brilliant for it. Having Yasuharu Takanashi compose a ridiculously epic soundtrack didn't hurt either, it definitely sounds like a serious show...which only makes it even more ridiculous. Don't go in expecting any kind of plot and you'll probably enjoy it.

...plus Soji looks like Takuto from Star Driver, and I'm pretty sure it was deliberate. xD
    Spoiler:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    is currently highly distracted by watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure from the beginning

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Was looking up on stuff Kyoto Animation did today...

Hmm... Lucky Star... it's reminding me of something back when I just started high school. I never bothered with anime back then, so I guess I'm probably just really LTTP in this regard. I might have heard of it...

Years
  • I should probably go back and rewatch Lucky Star one of these days. Would have missed an awful lot of references watching it when I did. Wouldn't normally rewatch for dank references but they were well made in that, probably worth it.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I should probably go back and rewatch Lucky Star one of these days. Would have missed an awful lot of references watching it when I did. Wouldn't normally rewatch for dank references but they were well made in that, probably worth it.

Hmm... come to think about it, what else I should watch around that time frame?

On another note, apparently my Pokémon video gaming dream (playing an unspecified game on my 3DS and the game had a Dowsing Machine, hmm) is being invaded by the Dragon Meme. The first Dowsing Machine ping was... uh...

*blushes*

Years
  • Spoiler:

Oh god yes, OreTwi is absolutely ridiculous, and it's brilliant for it. Having Yasuharu Takanashi compose a ridiculously epic soundtrack didn't hurt either, it definitely sounds like a serious show...which only makes it even more ridiculous. Don't go in expecting any kind of plot and you'll probably enjoy it.

...plus Soji looks like Takuto from Star Driver, and I'm pretty sure it was deliberate. xD
    Spoiler:

deko stop that's terrifying

I never go into an anime expecting any plot these days.

Hmm... come to think about it, what else I should watch around that time frame?

Lucky Star makes a ton of references overall to many anime from the '80s up until its release, plus a couple pop culture non-anime references.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Lucky Star makes a ton of references overall to many anime from the '80s up until its release, plus a couple pop culture non-anime references.

Seems like I probably shouldn't watch it for the time being until I at least brush up on what I should be expecting or something...

pkmin3033

I still haven't watched Lucky Star...it doesn't look all that appealing to me. I'm not hugely keen on moeblobs, I guess.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I found Dragon Meme Maid on my satellite provider's on-demand service, and it's free

Welp. There goes my free time.

pkmin3033

I finished Dragon Maid earlier this week, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. That final episode, though...that was absolute crap and a complete mood whiplash ._.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I still haven't watched Lucky Star...it doesn't look all that appealing to me. I'm not hugely keen on moeblobs, I guess.
    It's not really just about moe, though. I remember watching it when I was younger and thinking that, for some reason, people like it because it's moe.

But hearing certain things made me realize that, apparently, it wasn't your average "cute girls doing cute things" show. Supposedly. I'd at least like to give it another shot and see if I can get what it's...point was, I guess.

Haruhi too, while I'm at it.

pkmin3033

Got bored of Haruhi, too. I still don't know why people like these shows, and it was only...last year, I think, that I gave Haruhi a try? A lot of anime from the mid/late 00s I just can't get into. Didn't like CLANNAD either. Not that anime after that is universally better, but just that a lot of these popular shows that are generally well regarded I've not been able to get into for various reasons.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back