• 28 replies

Hyzenthlay

Age 21
The neglected garden
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
6,453 posts
8.2 Years
Anyone got any tips for really dry, hard brownies? Either tips to salvage the brownies to make them fit to serve , or if there can be no redemption then what about ways to recycle what remains of the brownies into a different dessert so that they don't totally go to waste?
Perhaps you can turn it into a chocolate bread pudding? My mum would always turn old bread and cakes into pudding so there was never any waste, and it's nice with cream and yoghurt, or for vegans, fruit or vegan ice cream is perfect! With brownies I find being just slightly overcooked makes them dry, especially if it's spread thinly in the pan. With my last attempt I put the brownies in an airtight container with a slice or two of fresh bread for a day and that actually made them softer!

Or you could process them into crumbs to top other desserts, or as a base for something.

I'm surprised there isn't more oil in that recipe, as oil is my magic ingredient for keeping everything moist, especially chocolate! I find butter ends up making chocolate cakes dry compared to oil.
🌲💞🍀
Today is born sparkling
Like the day when we first met

Figure

Age 26
Male
Moscow, Idaho
Seen 7 Hours Ago
Posted 7 Hours Ago
1,079 posts
8.5 Years
Perhaps you can turn it into a chocolate bread pudding? My mum would always turn old bread and cakes into pudding so there was never any waste, and it's nice with cream and yoghurt, or for vegans, fruit or vegan ice cream is perfect! With brownies I find being just slightly overcooked makes them dry, especially if it's spread thinly in the pan. With my last attempt I put the brownies in an airtight container with a slice or two of fresh bread for a day and that actually made them softer!

Or you could process them into crumbs to top other desserts, or as a base for something.

I'm surprised there isn't more oil in that recipe, as oil is my magic ingredient for keeping everything moist, especially chocolate! I find butter ends up making chocolate cakes dry compared to oil.
I like this, maybe like equal part bread and brownie with some currants.

VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City, Joyous Gard
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
4,697 posts
4.7 Years
Thanks for the food hax. Before reading this cool suggestion from the Hyzenthlay family kitchen I had already eaten up the brownies after finding a way to make them edible as brownies, but if ever slip up again I will try to remember this chocolate bread pudding. My godfather loves bread pudding, and I am gaining a new appreciation for it after trying this delicious French toast style bread pudding in a cafe that was made with sweet potatoes and served with warm fruit preserves. It was surprisingly scrumptious.

Because I knew in my heart those brownies needed oil and more sweetness I did something a little unconventional. I melted down coconut oil, and a butter substitute (miyoko's cultured vegan butter, made from cashew milk) and glazed my brownies with it and mixture of white and brown sugar, then popped the brownies in the microwave for a couple of seconds to soften it up and help absorb the oil. This made them taste instantly like 65% better. The flavor was sufficient. As with the oven method, using a bit of heat is a great way to soften brownies. I also found a method online for wrapping each brownie piece into a layer of damp paper towel to add moisture, and microwaving it for a few more seconds. This totally transformed the brownies. They were fine. My mom actually wanted some with morning coffee. So the world is saved.

I have the perfect dairy-free ice cream from SO Delicious to slather on a brownie next time as an experiment, and serve it more like an English Sticky Toffee.

Incidentally, I had an interesting dream last night. I started to share it in the Dream Weavers club, but since it was all about food and cooking I thought maybe I would share it here?

Spoiler includes an amusing dream and a cooking video that I believe inspired the dream. If nothing else you might want to check it out for the food video.

Spoiler:
I dreamed I was at a restaurant where the customer cooks their own food. I thought it was odd. I have never been to a cook-it-yourself restaurant, and don't think we have anything like that in my area, though I have heard of places like this in Asia I.e Korean BBQ and Japanese Shabu Shabu restaurants.

I took it to the next level and start adding my own food from my house to the mix. I was preparing Spanish style rice that I brought with me, and had bags of groceries with bell peppers and bok choy, mushrooms on the counter to really spice it up. I actually thought of the episode of Pokemon where Delia cooks in a public restaurant for Ash and his friends during the Pokemon League, and amazes everyone. I thought to myself, "Hey, this is just like what happened the first season of the anime."

You know how things sorta change without explanation in dreams? Well, I seemed to be working in this restaurant as a hired cook somehow. Suddenly in the middle of adding some more food to the hibachi grill, I hear that the emperor is here!

All the other cooks start going down on their knees in seiza, bowing because the emperor is right outside the window. I'm nervous, and just bow and try to blend in and do as everyone else does. When in Rome, do as the Romans!

The emperor walks through the kitchen, and is cordial and intrigued by what's happening in he kitchen. He bears no resemblance to the present-day emperor of Japan. He's more of a symbolic emperor, a young, handsome man who has this otherworldly presence, and is dressed in fantastical ceremonial robes that are not of this century. He's the kind of emperor I would expect to see on television shows.

He makes small talk with each of the staff. I remain kneeling, keeping my eyes on the ground and the emperor approaches me, notices that my hands are dark, different from all of the other chefs. He thinks that I have "brown sugar" on my hands, and instructs me to wash when I come into the presence of the emperor. That's just my complexion though, I am dark. The other cooks then start bullying me, and saying that I am ugly and calling me names.

However, when the emperor understands that this is my skin, he is very kind to me and holds my hands, says that they are very beautiful, and recites an ancient poem about the color of my body, and compares it to a forest. We understand eachother even though I should be able to speak Japanese. He rewards me and promotes me to his chief of staff.

I had some more dreams after that. It's like I am dreaming in sequence, and they're different chapters of my work in the emperor's kitchen. I realize now I was probably inspired to dream this because of a a video I watched a couple of days ago about the chef for the royal Windsor family, sharing Prince Phillip's favorite dish-- salmon coulibiac. In the video the chef talks about multiple occasions where he met the Prince, and has some colorful anecdotes for the viewer. It was interesting to hear that Phillip has this personal side that you might not expect.

Here you can meet this most charming chef, Darren McGrady. I often watch his food videos. You can see his recipe for this particular royal dish, and hear the funny stories that go on at Buckingham palace that probably caused me to have dreams about royalty in the kitchen. Bon appetit!

Name: Narcissus
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

I got Haxorus on "What Dragon-Type Pokemon are you?" https://quotev.com/quiz/5077163

Bahamut

Get your game on!

Age 18
They/them
Norway
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
254 posts
2.7 Years
This club looks really cool! I love cooking!

Name: Avery
Specialty: Fried noodles, spaghetti dishes, burgers, sandwiches, enchiladas, chili con carne, curries, pizza, chicken and salads