• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first NU team

Years
  • Today I started to get out of boring Randbats on the Showdown server and start the serious battling, and I decided "why not try NU to kick things off?" and after some research on Smogon, I decided to make my first NU team.

Since I'm new to competitive battling, any constructive criticism is highly appreciated if anything on my team needs changing.

334.gif

Altaria @ Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Adamant
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Roost

I'm trying the offensive Dragon Dance set I found on Smogon. Outrage will serve as my main attack, doing loads of damage when I get a Dragon Dance boost in. Earthquake will allow me to check any Rock or Steel-types that would resist Outrage, while Roost is for healing purposes. The Leftovers is also there to ensure I heal a bit every turn. I decided to go with an Adamant nature so I can have that extra power.

565.gif

Carracosta @ Life Orb
    Solid Rock
    252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Jolly
    - Shell Smash
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge
    - Aqua Jet

I love how well this turtle pulls off Shell Smash, it makes it a feared opponent in NU. Waterfall and Stone Edge serve for my main STAB moves, Aqua Jet is there so I can finish off an opponent with a slither of health left (and get a hit in on fast opponents) and Shell Smash is where this set shines. I decided to choose Life Orb as my item so I can get some extra power on my attacks.

623.gif

Golurk @ Leftovers
    Iron Fist
    176 HP/168 Atk/164 Spe
    Adamant
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Shadow Punch
    - Ice Punch

I always loved how useful Golurk is in battle, and the elemental punches gave it some extra edge come B2/W2. Stealth Rock is so I can set up an entry hazard against foes, Shadow Punch and Earthquake serve for my main attacks. Since I decided to run Iron Fist, I gave it Ice Punch which helps it keep Grass and Flying-types in check. The Leftovers is there to give it some extra healing every turn.

497.gif

Serperior @ Light Clay
    Overgrow
    252 HP/64 Def/192 Spe
    Timid
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Taunt
    - Giga Drain

I never liked Serperior as much as the other 5th Gen starters but I wanted to give it some love by having it be one of my defensive players. This is the popular Dual Screens set which basically runs an extended Reflect/Light Screen thanks to the Light Clay it is holding. Taunt is so I can cripple those who rely on non-attacking moves while Giga Drain is there to avoid being shut down by Taunt.

241.gif

Miltank @ Life Orb
    Sap Sipper
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Jolly
    - Return
    - Earthquake
    - Punishment
    - Milk Drink

I developed an obsession for Miltank ever seeing those funny memes and people ragefacing at Whitney's "unstoppable" Miltank from G/S/C/HG/SS. I tried this moveset so I can make good use of her hidden ability Sap Sipper. Return is my strong STAB cos I didn't want to risk Double-Edge's recoil damage. Earthquake allows me to counter Rock and Steel-types, Milk Drink is for healing and Punishment allows me to hit hard on those who set up too much, as well as keep Musharna and Duosion in check.

006.gif

Charizard @ Heat Rock
    Solar Power
    4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Timid
    - Sunny Day
    - Fire Blast
    - Roost
    - SolarBeam

I used to hate how overrated Charizard was, until I saw how buffed it got in 5th Gen. I decided to go with the stereotypical set that abuses Solar Power. The Heat Rock is there so I can ensure the sun lasts longer. Fire Blast will be hitting for my massive damage STAB, Roost is for healing since I will lose a bit of health in the sun, and SolarBeam is also for sun abuse, allowing me to use it in one turn.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Given Altaria's and Charizard's Stealth Rock weaknesses, a Rapid Spinner is pretty much needed here. The most used ones are Torkoal and Armaldo, even though they're weak to Stealth Rock themselves:

Armaldo:
    -Swords Dance
    -Stone Edge
    -X-Scissor/Earthquake
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 128 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/124 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Lum Berry
    Ability: Battle Armor

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Rapid Spin
    -Rock Blast/Rock Slide
    -X-Scissor/Knock Off
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Battle Armor

Torkoal:
    -Shell Smash
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power/Hidden Power (Grass)
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: White Herb

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Lava Plume
    -Rapid Spin
    -Yawn
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Shell Armor

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    As you mentioned, Musharna can actually cause you problems and defeat you, and even Punishment can do 80% only at CM. Change Golurk to the CB set, you're better off 2HKOing it than 3HKOing it. You can use a spinner as mentioned and make that your SR user. The only thing you could really replace anything with is Carracosta for Armaldo, which creates issues for you, because Skuntank can still be an issue if played incorrectly. Serperior just seems thrown on there and generally people don't really use screens unless for complete HO, and while your team is offensive, the ones setting up are bulky too and don't really need the extra support. Sawk can also be an issue if mispredicted, so I'd replace Serperior with Vilplume @ Black Sludge, Bold, Sleep Powder, Synethesis, Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain. In general psychic types weren't that much of an issue anyway and Golurk should be able to take a hit from a psychic type and OHKO back. Charizard can outspeed and badly hurt Gardevoir so it shouldn't really be an issue, plus for fire you have Altaria. Ludicolo can be an issue if allowed to set up, and so can water types in general. You could opt to keep Altaria (or replace it with Fraxure, given that with Eviolite it generally has a better chance and is less Sawk-weak) and take out Charizard, then replace it with Mantine, It'd help absorb Ludicolo's attacks, as well as water types which you otherwise had issues with. Actually, thinking about it, you want something to take on the various grass types - Torkoal will be able to help with that while Armaldo won't really. Skuntank can still be an issue but you can use Earth Power if you go like, SR/RS/EP/Blast or Plume.

Uhh to review I'd change to:

Torkoal, Vileplume, Altaria/Fraxure if you really want a dragon type although there are better offensive mons imo such as Sawk that have more use in this metagame and if you use Mantine you have another specially defensive wall, and using Fraxure/Sawk or something would be able to make use of straight-off power, Mantine, Golurk and Miltank would be my suggested changes.

Sorry that's about all I can think of off the top of my head right now. :( If any of this is confusing feel free to ask me to clarify.

Back