• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: TCG Set Review: Rising Rivals v2.0 (SM Guardians Rising)

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2017
    Great article, thanks!

As for your confusion with Wishiwashi GX, it's simple. He's such an energy hoarder that you can use his GX move as a "last stand" sort of move for him if you can afford to let him die. That way you can focus on powering him up and not the rest of your bench, but once he's about to die you can use the GX move and have your entire bench nearly ready to go plus likely take the defending pokemon out with you.

Plus if you can pull it off, you don't have to let him die. Use the GX move, power up your bench, then use a switch on him.

It's just better over all than retreating him to your bench and discarding 3 energy to do so.

Using him to deal out heavy damage and removing opponent's special energies with every strike prior isn't so bad either.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Drampa GX, Sylveon GX, Turtanator GX and Trevenant? With Plume in format Trev is legitimately one of the best cards currently. Paired with the insane new Sableye you'll be able to do massive damage on turn 3.

Alolan Ninetales GX is almost as good as Lapras, and works well in a slightly different speed deck, thanks to Aqua Patch, Energy Switch, Multi Switch etc. It isn't hit by the attack clause, it can bench snipe and it has the classic Mew2 Damage Change. It also succeeds where Lapras fails against Lurantis GX due to it's weakness being metal. With Choice Band it's pretty much 1 hitting 99% of the meta anyway.

I'd talk about how insane Garb's attack is too. It's massive in Japan right now and in testing in the UK it's beating virtually every deck in format except for possibly deciduplume but even then Garb will still be hitting for at least 100 per turn for 1 energy and thanks to access to AOR Flareon it could very easily be hitting for 200 on turn 2.

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Good article man, you are well versed in your TCG knowledge.
    Thanks!

Great article, thanks!

As for your confusion with Wishiwashi GX, it's simple. He's such an energy hoarder that you can use his GX move as a "last stand" sort of move for him if you can afford to let him die. That way you can focus on powering him up and not the rest of your bench, but once he's about to die you can use the GX move and have your entire bench nearly ready to go plus likely take the defending pokemon out with you.

Plus if you can pull it off, you don't have to let him die. Use the GX move, power up your bench, then use a switch on him.

It's just better over all than retreating him to your bench and discarding 3 energy to do so.

Using him to deal out heavy damage and removing opponent's special energies with every strike prior isn't so bad either.
    I mean sure, but it is still FIVE energy.
    Drampa GX, Sylveon GX, Turtanator GX and Trevenant? With Plume in format Trev is legitimately one of the best cards currently. Paired with the insane new Sableye you'll be able to do massive damage on turn 3.

Alolan Ninetales GX is almost as good as Lapras, and works well in a slightly different speed deck, thanks to Aqua Patch, Energy Switch, Multi Switch etc. It isn't hit by the attack clause, it can bench snipe and it has the classic Mew2 Damage Change. It also succeeds where Lapras fails against Lurantis GX due to it's weakness being metal. With Choice Band it's pretty much 1 hitting 99% of the meta anyway.

I'd talk about how insane Garb's attack is too. It's massive in Japan right now and in testing in the UK it's beating virtually every deck in format except for possibly deciduplume but even then Garb will still be hitting for at least 100 per turn for 1 energy and thanks to access to AOR Flareon it could very easily be hitting for 200 on turn 2.

Yeah yeah yeah I got it.
    Drampa - I still really don't like this card. Sure it is a nice early refresh card, but that thing is an attack, not an ability. Attacking ends your turn.
    Turtonätôr - ITs a turtle with a cute built in Burstng Baloon. Boooooring.
    Sylvvy - He actually got considered before being cut from the final review. Not an awful card though.
    Trevanant - I refuse to acknowledge anything that gets paired with Sableye as an actual Pokémon.
    Icetails - It's a stage 1, and you still need to play at least 1-2 items to get the energy refreshed. The GX attack is cool tho
    Garbodork - Another case of "I refuse to admit that Garbodor is actually a Pokemon". This one is pure TCG bias as opposed to my hatred of Talonflame (which stems from the VG) or Sableye (which is both VG and Sableye SF was just a stupid card)

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Thanks!

I mean sure, but it is still FIVE energy.

Yeah yeah yeah I got it.
    Drampa - I still really don't like this card. Sure it is a nice early refresh card, but that thing is an attack, not an ability. Attacking ends your turn.
    Turtonätôr - ITs a turtle with a cute built in Burstng Baloon. Boooooring.
    Sylvvy - He actually got considered before being cut from the final review. Not an awful card though.
    Trevanant - I refuse to acknowledge anything that gets paired with Sableye as an actual Pokémon.
    Icetails - It's a stage 1, and you still need to play at least 1-2 items to get the energy refreshed. The GX attack is cool tho
    Garbodork - Another case of "I refuse to admit that Garbodor is actually a Pokemon". This one is pure TCG bias as opposed to my hatred of Talonflame (which stems from the VG) or Sableye (which is both VG and Sableye SF was just a stupid card)

In fairness those are all non competitive reasons to disregard incredibly good cards that are doing well in Japan and international testing.

Drampa GX discards energy, sets up multiple Hala's, forces your opponent to N instead of Sycamore, Skyla, Lysandre, Flare Grunt etc and hits for decent damage. It's a completely competitive card and will likely be a 1 of in most big meta decks.

Turtanator GX will make Volcanion even more playable. It benefits from Steam Up, has big HP, does 160 for 3 and it;s GX attack sets up nearly two Volcanion EX on the bench to continue the punishment. For one energy.

Don't like Sab? Fine, Trev pairs incredibly well with Lele, Plume, Garb, the other Trev in exp. Toad in exp. Etc. It's legitimately game breaking. 30x per TRAINER in hand? With an item lock option in Plume and a supporter lock option in Sableye? That's gonna likely be 180 damage by turn 3.

Sylveon GX will (sadly) replace Lapras GX as the best disruptive deck in format. It's insanely good.

Years
  • Great article dude!

Was nice to learn about the older cards that I missed as well and how they have sort've been re-incarnated in this set

Back