• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Fire Red] How to change/remove first-person-view location pictures for some maps

Klofkac

He's back!
Years
NOTE: This tutorial is not about how to add a custom first-person-view location picture. This is about how to change associations between map names and their pictures.
NOTE2: This is my first tutorial. And sorry for my bad english.

At first, some theory and purpose of this tutorial
If you have some experience with hacking, you surely know that a Pokémon game contains a certain amount of "map names" that can be used. But you should know that a "map name" is not only a text string, every "map name" is associated with some data, for example the location on the world map, and also the first-person-view location pictute that shows up while entering a map (it's a feature of Fire Red and Leaf Green games).
attachment.php
attachment.php

As I've just said, some map names are associated with a picture. You can try it: Open Fire Red rom in Advance Map, open Pallet Town map (3.0), go to map header and change the map name into, for example, Viridian forest (choose it from the list, do not rewrite the text.). Save it. Now open the rom in Emulator, start the game and leave your home. When you enter the Pallet town map, the picture of Viridian forest shows up. You cannot influence it by changing anything in map header. But you can influence it by hex editing some data in rom, and it's what this tutorial is about: How to change or remove associations between map names and the pictures.

But why we want to do such thing? I've played some hacks (for example Shiny Gold) that had problems with it: wrong pictures were showing up when entering some maps, for example Tanoby Chamber picture showed up when entering some routes in Shiny Gold and it was quite annoying.

Now the tutorial itself
The only thing you need is a hex editor (and Advance map is recommended).

First of all, open your Fire Red rom (English version) in hex editor and go to offset 0x43E9E8 (where the associations data are stored). You should see something like this:
attachment.php

Now let's explain the data. Every association consists of 16 bytes (4 doublewords) One association is marked with red color. First four bytes are association data and rest 12 bytes are 3 pointers to a picture data (picture itself and palletes).
The first byte is the number of the map name the picture is associated with (for example 7E - This is VIRIDIAN FOREST - as you can see in the table below). The second byte (01) is the way of the transition from the picture to the map (00 - like when you enter a cave, 01 - smooth transition). It's hard to explain it for me, so just try it yourself. Other values are undefined, but if you set any other value, the picture doesn't show up at all.
I don't know yet what the third byte means, it needs more research.
And finally the fourth byte is ALWAYS 08.
Next 12 bytes are pointers to picture data and pallettes, you should work with them as unit.

Table of map names:
Spoiler:

Map names marked with "+" have association with a picture.

List of map pictures in FR:
Spoiler:

So now you should know how to work with it and try yourself to change map pictures.
If you want to remove some associations (surely it's good to remove Tanoby Chamber picture from last 7 map names), I don't recommend to rewrite it by zeros, but you should change the first byte to C5 or change the second byte to any other value than 00 or 01.

That's all, thanks for reading and I hope this small tutorial helps you a bit!

Finally, a practical example of use
I've mentioned the game Pokémon Shiny Gold made by Zel in this tutorial because it's great game but it has a problem with these location pictures. I fixed it and made a small ips patch - it's attached. You can use it if you want - it makes the great game even greater by fixing this bug!

Last edited by a moderator:

Klofkac

He's back!
Years
Well, is there any way we can get the table repointed? The usual way doesn't work, so there must be some limit.
I think repointing should be possible. But you must change all pointers, there are more of them in the rom. But maybe it's no need to do it. If you want to add new associations, you can rewrite useless existing ones (for example Tanoby Chamber pictures, there are six associations at the end of the table.) Expanding the table needs more research, maybe you must change a certain byte.
Great tutorial!
I decided to post since no one else did.
Shame on them.
This is a verry good tut:O

Years
How did you find this? Because I intend to try to find the same table in Ruby, or maybe Emerald.
And, yes, while we can remove some unneeded maps or something like that, it would be nicer to have extra names, no? Who knows, maybe we can finally have a hack with all four regions (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh), which definitely isn't possible with simply replacing a couple of unneeded maps.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
How did you find this? Because I intend to try to find the same table in Ruby, or maybe Emerald.
And, yes, while we can remove some unneeded maps or something like that, it would be nicer to have extra names, no? Who knows, maybe we can finally have a hack with all four regions (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh), which definitely isn't possible with simply replacing a couple of unneeded maps.

Few things...
1) Location art doesn't exist in Emerald and Ruby, so you will never find it.

2) Adding maps can be done in MEH and A-Map, you can recreate all maps if you want.

3) New map names? I assume you thought this tutorial was for new map names?? Try this thread http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=212492

Goodluck porting it :)

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
Did anyone ever figure out how to repoint this table? I've been trying to edit random bytes around the routine that loads the table with no success...

Edit: Limiter is at 0x80F8104

Last edited:
Years
Has anyone else had issues with the town map after they do this?? If you hover over a "blue" dot after you've done this and press A the game freezes because it's trying to load the first person pic data. Not in the fly menu but the actual town map itself. it's the "guide" function

Back