• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon annoyances

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • The original thread is 9 years old, so...

Anyway, what aspects of Pokemon annoy/trigger you? A trigger for me is when people pronounce Pokemon names wrong, especially Golisopod, which I've heard in several YouTube videos already. It's meant to be pronounced with the long "I" because it's derived from "Goliath" and "isopod", both of which use the long "I". The mispronunciation comes from people using the short "I" and that feels wrong, IMO.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I butcher almost every pronuncation either because they don't sound 'natural' in Dutch or because they're so ugly that I outright refuse to (Arceus' official pronuncation). I also pronounce Golisopod the wrong way.

Can't really think of an annoyance rn. :o

pkmin3033

The mispronunciation of "Pok?mon" is something that irks me a little, actually. Especially when people say "Poke-key-mon" or something. It is not that hard to pronounce an accented ? correctly. It's not. Although in a weird double standard I'm fine with "Pokermon" and sometimes say that myself because that's how the dub anime pronounces it even though it's technically wrong. xD

The recurring NPCs. Yeaaah. If I go into how bad they are now I'll be here all day, and I've said it all before elsewhere...go stalk my posts if you're curious.

Also, the recurring fan favourite Pokemon kind of annoy me too. Lucario, Zoroark, Greninja...they become unofficial flagship Pokemon of their respective generations - often eclipsing the boxart Legendaries in terms of popularity - and it annoys me immensely because they're amongst the worst designs that gen has to offer.

This is a small thing too, but...having to go through the same dialogue and wait process every time I heal my Pokemon. This is not Dragon Quest, I don't need an introduction/explanation/watch/conclusion sequence every single time. It's about time they streamlined this process the way they did saving and made it 1-2 dialogue boxes and that's it. Seriously GF, sort this out.

Having a Pokemon break out of a ball after three shakes and a short pause usually makes me swear, too.

I could go on. I probably will. I'll come back to this.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Confusion and Attraction annoy me just because of how unfair they feel. They never seem to work in my favour and I always seem to have a hard time when my Pok?mon are the ones confused or infatuated.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • When Ninetales is misspelled as Ninetails. It annoys me more than it should.

The newer games having unskippable tutorials.

When a Pokemon on Pokemon Go jumps or does its animation the second you throw a pokeball each time.

Earth Power in Mystery Dungeon: Explorers. Didn't help that my starter and partner when I first played Sky were both weak against Ground.

When people think it's Nintendo that makes Pokemon when it's Game Freak and The Pokemon Company.

"They're running out of ideas."

Pokemon whose shiny colours are duller than their normal colours.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Ledges
    shrug%2B(1).gif
    !

2EuMuww.jpg

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    OH BOI.

"I don't like this design, it's doesn't look like a Pokemon" -like...ANYTHING can be a Pokemon? I hate this argument SO MUCH because it implies that only certain Pokemon are qualified to be in a game or something. Most of the time I see people use this because the Pokemon they see isn't their precious favorite and like, I get it, you don't have to like the newer designs, but stop saying it's not Pokemon when a Pokemon called SEEL EXISTS. Bleak. If it's made by Game freak and copyrighted as an official Pokemon, it's a Pokemon. Nuff said.

"They're running out of ideas" - yes, because Gamefreak included a Pokemon (cough*object*cough) you don't like, it means they're running out of ideas...Wonderful.( I've commonly heard it being used like this by gen-oners).

Why does that bike feel so clunky in later games? In Hoenn it was either too fast or too slow, Sinnoh had it perfectly, Unova's bike was okay, and then in Kalos, the bike was so clunky that if you aren't going in a straight line considered yourself screwed. Thank god for Pokeride.

Confusion and Paralysis are one thing...being poisoned on the other hand is awful. I've had terrible times with this mechanic and I hate it. The Runnerup to this is going to sleep because it never wakes up 1st term for me, but every other opponent does.

Why was there no physical special split until gen 4? Gamefreak WTF?!

>Fairies are introduced
    >People complain Dragons need to be buffed
    >Fairies not around previously
    >People complain Dragons need to be stopped

Also, having another resistance to Bug doesn't help Bug Types at all.

Years
  • It bothers me way more than it should (like, WAY MORE), but I hate it when people pluralize Pokemon by adding an s to their names. It makes me want to punch them in their throat :x

No, there aren't 3 Pikachus over there, but there are 3 Pikachu.

pkmin3033

The general unavailability of evolutionary stones, especially in the 3DS titles. Being forced to play minigames for stones - when they're not guaranteed prizes, either - is infuriating. It would be far better that they were outrageously priced in shops, even, because then at least I could grind money and be guaranteed an end result. I spent hours racking up Sun Stones and Moon Stones in XYORAS through Super Training. I did not enjoy it.

Some evolution items requiring BP bothers me, too. Now, some TMs and battle hold items, I can understand; it makes sense that the better battle items would be rewards in facilities designed specifically for higher-end battling. But items for evolution too? Being forced to play this rubbish over and over to rack up points is annoying. Especially considering the generally poor quality of all the optional battle facilities since the PWT.

Roaming Legendaries.

Unskippable tutorials and cutscenes. Come on, Game Freak. I know you have to cater to kids, but giving those of us who have been catching Pokemon since RBY the option to skip being told how to catch Pokemon isn't exactly difficult. And almost every modern JRPG in existence will let you either fast-forward through text and/or provide you with the ability to skip a cutscene at least after you've watched it once. This is basic stuff. Why aren't you doing it?

Paralysis and Confusion. I swear, when I hit my opponents with these, they never feel the effects of them. When I get hit with them, though? Accuracy/Evasion is another thing, too. I could Double Team until I have an army of shadow clones and the opponent would hit me every single time, but they do it once and suddenly its like my Pokemon is blindfolded. RNG in Pokemon is phenomenally broken sometimes.

People asking for outrageous things on the GTS. No, I will not give you a freakin' Level 5 Dragonite for a Rattata! I despair sometimes when I see what people are asking for on the GTS. It's always Legendaries or impossible to obtain Pokemon for even the most basic of things.

Double standards with Pokemon design bother me sometimes. So an inanimate object Pokemon is bad, but another bird is A-OK? I don't understand the concept of "creativity" that some people have when it comes to Pokemon designs. They're all based off something, so either they're all creative, or they're all plagiaristic. No Pokemon has an entirely original design. It's only the more extreme - and often in the darker corners of places like Gamefaqs - but it irks me sometimes how people act as though Pokemon should all be based off animals and anything else is somehow less original for it. Personal preference is personal preference, but they're not objectively less original. They're not. Stop.

Their inability to consistently release games worldwide annoys me, but that's a problem a lot of publishers still seem to have for some stupid reason, and if they release the next set of games after USUM simultaneously too that problem will hopefully disappear. But I was not happy to have ORAS and SM delayed for no adequately explained or explored reason. Or even an apology.

Back